"Race Driver One" [PC, PS3, x360]

DieH@rd

Legend
Using the NEON Engine, which powered DiRT and the upcoming Operation Flashpoint 2, Race Driver One is not a rally racing game, but a street racers in the vein of PGR, Forza and Need for Speed.

Post stolen from Endless @ GAF
---

What do you think? If they add more bloom will it look even better? ;-)

Wow looks pretty good, similar tracks to PGR3 but looks better + sim handling, wonder if it will get the same ps3 treatment as CM:Dirt + Logitech G25 support will be awesome, will have to go against GT5 though...

We know they can do good looking, now the big challenge as far as I'm concerned is can they make the cars steer like real cars rather than having them pivot in the middle.

Indeed. Dirt has been a major turnoff to me. It looks nice, but the movement of the cars is a huge letdown and breaks the impact of the graphics once you see things in motion. Sad.

Indeed. Dirt has been a major turnoff to me. It looks nice, but the movement of the cars is a huge letdown and breaks the impact of the graphics once you see things in motion. Sad.

Yer they should let you pick between 2+ handling models, sim and arcade...
Like games have easy medium and hard, it should adjust the handling, not just the damage model, opponents and lap time.

It's not really a matter of arcade v sim though.

It should be right in an arcade game as much as it should in a simulation.

After reading a positive write up about CM'05 I borrowed it off my friend (not wishing to buy Dirt unless it was for my PS3) and I uninstalled it after 30 seconds of playing it.

It completely ruins the whole illusion for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
We know they can do good looking, now the big challenge as far as I'm concerned is can they make the cars steer like real cars rather than having them pivot in the middle.

Yeah. I really liked Toca 3, but as racers go it is a poor man's GT/FM. Where it distinguished itself was in damage and the sheer number of race types. NASCAR, Open Wheel, Rally, Speed Trucks, 4x4 Monster Trucks... lawn mowers and RC cars. It will be interesting to see what direction they take this title. If the physics are typical Codemaster quality I think it will have a hard time competing agains the sims and upper tiered "arcade" racers (of various sorts) on that level, so it will come down to options.

It looks amazing! And by the comments from you guys there seems to be no doubt that it is real time!!!
I would have thought those screens are pre rendered for sure!

It looks amazing! And by the comments from you guys there seems to be no doubt that it is real time!!!
I would have thought those screens are pre rendered for sure!
I don't think it looks any better than Dirt to be honest, it's just a different environment.

I may be wrong, but I doubt anyone would claim it's a massive jump from Dirt.

Whoah that looks exceptionally good. That cant be real time can it? I think it is using the in game assets to render these screens offline.

Looks much better than dirt to me. better than GT and PGR4 actually

Of course it can. Don't you remember the first screenshots we got from CMR Dirt? Lots of people thought it looked amazing then too. My wife also thinks Dirt (PS3) looks very good, clearly a step up in graphics. She even likes it better than Gran Turismo.

It really looks a lot like Dirt. Same lighting and everything. Of course, the city environment makes it look more spectacular. But the cars look the same low-poly models as I'm starting to get used to from the Dirt engine (cars in GT, PGR4 and even FM2 ;) look much better). Sure, the lighting does make up for a lot, but you can see where the sacrifices have been made.

That all said, the game looks good (so does Dirt), and I would be a lot more excited for the game hadn't I known Codies have tended to be far too happy with the handling model far too soon.

Whoah that looks exceptionally good. That cant be real time can it? I think it is using the in game assets to render these screens offline.

Looks much better than dirt to me. better than GT and PGR4 actually

Looks mighty good, especially the lighting and cars. I ahve to agree it looks better than DiRT, GT5, PGR4 in those ss but will they represent final graphics IQ?

Looks really good to me - especially like the cathedral, but then again I'm an architecture junkie :)

Back