r520 in xbox2?

GRAKS

Newcomer
the inquirer says that the r520 is in the xbox2 not the r500 as many of you have say'd so what is true?

"The discovery of this patent is the first hard proof that ATI is treading down this road of chip design, as its deal with Intrinsity was surrounded in speculation as to the exact nature of the technology being licensed and which way the information was flowing. The patent appears to confirm that the R500/R520 part will be something substantially different to anything we've seen in the past"

is not the r500 chip that xbox2 uses allmost the same as r600 how is wgf2.0 card?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20919

I think a lot of people want xbox2 to have the best in it, and they think that the R520 would be better, because of the higher number in the name, but from what i've heard around here, isn't jthe R500 going to have the better and new tech. in it?

GRAKS said:
the inquirer says that the r520 is in the xbox2 not the r500 as many of you have say'd so what is true?

The Inquirer is wrong. They think the R500 and R520 are the same generation of tech, when they are not. It's a simple mistake to make, because ATI's codenames normally indicate their "family" through the main number. It's seems that ATI now also use code numbers that don't necessarily mean they are of the same family.

The next PC GPU will be R520, which will be closer to R4x0 than R600.

R500 is the XBox2 GPU which is supposed to be quite revolutionary/different in many ways, and the desktop version of that tech will be R6x0 series.

I'm not sure patents like this can tell us that much. High IC companies tend to patent quite broadly and defensively and a lot of the applications are "retrospective", AFAIK.

It could be something implemented in their existing memory interface IP, for example.

This patent is about easier/more precise clock speed binning of chips.
Maybe that can help improve yields. But that's it. It doesn't add functionality, and it doesn't make a chip clocked at x MHz run faster. I don't know why they comment on patents they don't understand at all.

Xmas said:
This patent is about easier/more precise clock speed binning of chips.

Ah yes, so it is. I should have read it, lol.

Makes the article seem even more bizarre.

The Inquirer still hasn't caught on to the R500 != R520 thing yet. Expect a huge post where they finally realise this and "scoop" everyone else.

Ratchet said:
The Inquirer still hasn't caught on to the R500 != R520 thing yet. Expect a huge post where they finally realise this and "scoop" everyone else.

Yeah that's exactly what i was thinking. I can already see them yelling SCOOP SCOOP!

Doomtrooper said:
Whats is the offical date for X-box 2 launch, Xmas 2005 ?
There nothing announced yet but a smattering of rumors indicate Holidays 2005 is likely. The console forum has a couple threads about it.

I have been saying forever that its something more along the lines of R5XA. Although the numbers are apparently different now thats basically what it was, is and will be. A Hybrid R520ish design.

Xbox 2 never was getting anything close to an R600 core as some had insisted.

Well that put the end to that...are ATI really releasing tech for XB2 that skimps on the traditional pipelines idea and has serious ALU power instead for shaders?
You certainly do not need the kind of fillrate we have in the X850 PE to fill a screen that is approx 1 million pixels in size 60 times a second even if it applies some sort of anti-aliasing - but you could always do with more horsepower to compute those shaders.

Tahir said:
Well that put the end to that...are ATI really releasing tech for XB2 that skimps on the traditional pipelines idea and has serious ALU power instead for shaders?

this has been hinted many times now by dave and deano in the last couple of months

Back