R420 passed over for ATI's new boards, R480 to ship instead?

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Just to sail an ATI ship in the current sea of NV40 threads in this part of the forums, a little birdy whispered in my ear today that ATI have taped out R480 recently and will be shipping that instead of R420 in their next cards to be released.

Anand states the R480 is nothing more than a speed bumped R420, so does anyone want to guess what clock it's launching at now, assuming my birdy is telling the truth?

And just to ask more questions, again assuming my birdy is correct, what do you think the technical reason for the speed bump is? Process switch?

My birdy also says it'll be 2 more months before we see the boards, so end of May ish.

Rys

DaveBaumann said:
ROFL.

This place is getting stupid.

This is the very height of the pre-launch silly season Dave, it'll pass soon enough when one of the IHV's premiere an actual card and we have some facts to chew over.

Until then may I humbly suggest you just sit back and enjoy the show? It won't be for very much longer, and it's just soooo much fun when it's going! :LOL:

In related news, S3 also jumped on this new industry-wide trend and thus in two weeks will unveil OmegaChrome, the design originally planned for 2H08 release.

DaveBaumann said:
ROFL.

That's what happens when you become popular... I remember the "good old days" when this place was just a forum (and before that, of course).

That would be quite funny though. Both ATI and Nvidia are afraid of what the other is going to release, so they both cancel their current cards and launch their next generation ones instead.

Also, anyone else think this may end up as a story on The Inq?
________
NASH 600

Last edited by a moderator:
SsP45 said:
That would be quite funny though. Both ATI and Nvidia are afraid of what the other is going to release, so they both cancel their current cards and launch their next generation ones instead.

Naw in this case it would be a case of launching the "refresh" versions of the cards, not the next-gen, which would actually be R500/NV50 I suppose. :)

As for The Inq, if no one came in here and made the thread a farce, then sure I would have expected an exclusive in a day or so. :)

Sometimes I wish we would let some things lay, just to see who picks up on the bs and prints it as factual, but i think there are too many sarcastic sons of bitches here, the ranks of which I count myself among, that just couldn't let that happen even if we tried. :p

DaveBaumann said:
ROFL.

Yeah the endless speculation is getting to me. On and on... it is starting to get a tad boring if you ask me. At first it is kind of fun but then after a while things get a little stupid.

I still pick however B3D for most of my reading with regards even if it does get a little tiresome.

Natoma said:
SsP45 said:

Naw in this case it would be a case of launching the "refresh" versions of the cards, not the next-gen, which would actually be R500/NV50 I suppose. :)

As for The Inq, if no one came in here and made the thread a farce, then sure I would have expected an exclusive in a day or so. :)

That's what I meant, the cards that were due out in 6 months or so.
________
Ford Forty-Nine History

Last edited by a moderator:
Geeforcer said:
In related news, S3 also jumped on this new industry-wide trend and thus in two weeks will unveil OmegaChrome, the design originally planned for 2H08 release.

As I've heard from my cab driver today morning, XGI will do it as well: they're preparing to release their Cantari Quad XXL10 board - official release song will be "Lasciate mi cantare" -, which was originally planned for 2010 as the successor of then would be very successful "Volari, Volare Duo VX8" board family.

DaveBaumann said:
ROFL.

Well there is one way to stop it Dave, just tell now us all about the R420/NV4x and put and end to the sillyness :)

On related news since video cards are not naturaly found in europe ati will unleash its brand new shipping method . 2 humming birds tied to the video card with string.

This new shipping standard will get video cards to those europe no time flat .

jvd said:
On related news since video cards are not naturaly found in europe ati will unleash its brand new shipping method . 2 humming birds tied to the video card with string.

This new shipping standard will get video cards to those europe no time flat .

What? A Humming bird carrying a video card?

Don't be daft.

I heard they were going to Swallows...

Back