Quick Question

You can use anything you want with it. But to get HD resolution you might need a HDCP compliant output, like HDMI. But they may also support it on component, it's not decided yet. Apparently Philips is optimistic they will..but don't get your hopes up just yet..

Titanio said:
You can use anything you want with it. But to get HD resolution you might need a HDCP compliant output, like HDMI. But they may also support it on component, it's not decided yet. Apparently Philips is optimistic they will..but don't get your hopes up just yet..

Then why are blu-ray players so much more expensive than HD-DVD players if they dont support HD over component either?

Kabbage said:
Then why are blu-ray players so much more expensive than HD-DVD players if they dont support HD over component either?

Because Toshiba is using pricing as a weapon, and the manufacturers who have announced pricing sofar on the Blu-ray side don't feel it's necessary, I guess, and want to make as much money as possible off early adopters who are willing to pay those kinds of prices.

PS3 will be cheaper, obviously ;) There are also a number of other Blu-ray players announced who's pricing we don't know yet. I wouldn't expect as aggressive a price as $500, but I doubt they'll all be $1800 either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
Because Toshiba is using pricing as a weapon, and the manufacturers who have announced pricing sofar on the Blu-ray side don't feel it's necessary, I guess, and want to make as much money as possible off early adopters who are willing to pay those kinds of prices.

PS3 will be cheaper, obviously ;)

Ok so the only advantage of Blu-Ray is capacity and disc protection... because im not sure how man HDCP supportive tv's there are out there (Because Im not even sure what HDCP and HDMI mean :)

Kabbage said:
Ok so the only advantage of Blu-Ray is capacity and disc protection... because im not sure how man HDCP supportive tv's there are out there (Because Im not even sure what HDCP and HDMI mean :)

HDCP is the copy protection mechanism employed by HDMI and (some/most) DVI. It's required by HD-DVD players/titles. It's not confirmed yet if it'll be required for Blu-ray.

Blu-ray's biggest advantage, I would have thought, was it's much larger movie support. And perhaps, simple inclusion in something like PS3.

Titanio said:
HDCP is the copy protection mechanism employed by HDMI and (some/most) DVI. It's required by HD-DVD players/titles. It's not confirmed yet if it'll be required for Blu-ray.

Blu-ray's biggest advantage, I would have thought, was it's much larger movie support. And perhaps, simple inclusion in something like PS3.
*Slaps Forehead*

How could I possibly forget about the actual content and the PS3, i need to kick my own ass for that.

So it is required for the HD-DVD as well, so that means older hdtv owners would have a problem with these upcoming formats... hmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back