Question

Although, in general terms, I find the write up of the game benchmarks the most tedious of elements within the reviews (less so in an architectural review, more so in a product review) game benchmarks have to be used because they do serve a distinct purpose. While theoretical benchmark will tell you certain things about an architecture and assist you in picking different elements of it apart, what they don't tell you is how those element operate together as a whole – game benchmarks are the only elements that will stress numerous facets of the technologies simultaneously giving you an understanding of whether the individual elements are operating cohesively together. Different games will also bias to different rendering elements, demands, but a most part of the pipeline will be active during rendering.

When we move to things such as unified architecture pure theoretical metrics are going to become even more distanced from real world rendering as the theoretical tests are specifically designed to test a single element of the pipeline, keep other elements to minimal usage in order to not interfere much with the part of the pipeline its looking at – a unified architecture will automatically bias it operations, distorting from the balancing it would have to do within a varied game environment.

Dave Baumann said:
When we move to things such as unified architecture pure theoretical metrics are going to become even more distanced from real world rendering as the theoretical tests are specifically designed to test a single element of the pipeline, keep other elements to minimal usage in order to not interfere much with the part of the pipeline its looking at – a unified architecture will automatically bias it operations, distorting from the balancing it would have to do within a varied game environment.

Interesting point, that.

Maybe the theoreticals start shifting too. Towards what? I dunno. Maybe they start running up and down instruction mixes to see how the arch reacts? What does one simple VS set of instructions cost you in simultaneous PS power while it is running on Arch A vs Arch B? How well/poorly does the arch shift gears, so to speak?

I hadn't given it a thot until just now, so don't be too harsh. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Baumann said:
Although, in general terms, I find the write up of the game benchmarks the most tedious of elements within the reviews (less so in an architectural review, more so in a product review) game benchmarks have to be used because they do serve a distinct purpose.
That purpose (as you explained, which I didn't feel the need to quote) generally do not, IMO again since this is how I perceive your interest, matter much. You talk about various elements about a piece of (new) 3D hardware being used simultaneously in games. I'm sorry but with the never ending chicken-and-egg situation (HW, SW) these elements generally come down to filtering and AA performance at various settings that are no more than fill-rate-sapping higher resolutions. That's what every single games benchmarks offered in your (B3D) reviews come down to, AA and filtering performance with more than a touch of bandwidth considerations understandably coming into the picture. There are no explanations offered about the kind(s) of shaders used in a game (and in particular, in the demo used for a game benchmark) -- we all know increased filtering and AA levels WILL result in lower benchmarks... why repeatedly give us such benchmarks (in every single review)? It wastes your time, it wastes my time. If a game suffers little-to-no performance dips in performance due to increasingly higher filtering and AA levels, is it worth the time doing the benchmarks only to surmise what most really ought to know, that those games are bound by the performance of the host CPU?

How much do you know of demos used in benchmarks in your review? You attempt to lay it out in your tech sections in a review when it comes to explaining shader work. There is a big emphasis -- by you -- on the ROPs and intricacies of a G/VPU when it comes to shader work. Yet all we see in games benchmarks are obvious things -- fillrate expensive stuff like AA and filtering with nothing offerred by way of explanation regarding all those IHV-and-media-outlet-touted shader work put into hardware by the IHVs. Why? Coz you don't know the games (demos used), coz of the chicken-and-egg situation (how many SM3 games now, after the first SM3 hw came out?), coz you want to just churn out the AA-and-filtering games benchmarks coz those are what "regular" foilks can get OOTB, coz devs won't respond to you when you ask them about a demo you recorded, coz... coz...

I'm not saying AA and filtering performance aren't important. I'm only saying these are "Duh!" stuff -- the higher these two are, the more expensive they will be, coupled with higher rezs. We're talking about fillrate here, surely and most definitely something that Kristof was thinking about when he coined "Nothing in 3D is free". There CAN be a big reason of course -- look at the "free" 2xAA of the Xenos. That's worth studying (tho we all probably won't be able to benchmark the XB360!).

I've seen you (Dave) basically "going to the metal" in increasing frequency the past 3 or 4 months, either in your official B3D articles or in the forums. Innovative new memory bandwidth structures or new (which hasn't been the case) AAs may warrant many games benchmarks in your articles but other than these two I'm not sure if you realize what you actually posted above.

I see you analyzing hardware more than you do the software that you use to analyze the hardware. In one single scene in one of the game demos you use in your reviews, what do you really know about that scene Dave? Not to mention the other 1000+ frames in that demo!

Games are useful for you Dave because it serves to lend relevance to the reason the majority would read your video card reviews.

10 pages of your video card reviews consist of stuff that has little to do with what programmers seek in PC3D that are beyond their control. What do they seek? What percentage of silicon and resources are spent by an IHV on a new 3D chip? Why do new iterations of DX ignore filtering and AA that are so prominent in reviews?

Why waste time on something you aren't that interested in and/but concentrate on other things that I know you'll do well in?

Oh yes, it is that much easier for me to comment on something I'm not a part of, especially when it comes to something that involves costs and time. But there you go; this is B3D, this is Dave Baumann, this is where I get 3D hardware info I almost never get elsewhere. Games benchmark? There's Kyle, there's Anand, there's a bunch of others...

Last edited:
Reverend said:
Those purely sarcastic posts aimed at me by John and Joe are not needed since they don't address what I am interested in.

I was being sarcastic by reversing your question? Had you actually taken the time to detail exactly what you were asking when you started this thread, you could've avoided having such "sarcastic" questions posed to you.

John Reynolds said:
I was being sarcastic by reversing your question? Had you actually taken the time to detail exactly what you were asking when you started this thread, you could've avoided having such "sarcastic" questions posed to you.
Sorry, I didn't know Dave agreed to having folks like you and Joe answering questions I directed at him (in public, for a reason at that), by proxy. I'll be more careful in the future John.

You were much nicer, and understanding, before you had a "regular" reviewing job with SimHQ, John.

Reverend said:
You were much nicer, and understanding, before you had a "regular" reviewing job with SimHQ, John.

Well, what can I say: all the fame, money, and women have gone to my head.

Seriously, you and I both know exactly why my attitude toward you has changed and it has absolutely nothing to do with my relationship with SimHQ, so let's not go down the tangential route.

Reverend said:
Sorry, I didn't know Dave agreed to having folks like you and Joe answering questions I directed at him (in public, for a reason at that), by proxy. I'll be more careful in the future John.

Well, you know, getting a rep can affect some people that way --some more than others tho, of course.

Now that Rev has shared his thinking more fully, I don't entirely disagree with him. In a sense, the "part 1" acknowledges that fact. Tho I think it is also a good and reasonable point that theory needs to be backed up with concrete examples to validate it.

But in the end, I always hate being forced into "either/or" situations. What I really want is Wavey to have the time to kill every reviewer on the web by doing the whole nine yards better/more completely/more in depth than all of them.

I think he's got the skillz, just not the time.

John Reynolds said:
Seriously, you and I both know exactly why my attitude toward you has changed
Actually I don't, but it is telling you quoted (and therefore address) what you did and what you didn't.

Is it because we disagree on what's "ethical" and "what is the truth", because of what I post after leaving this site, and in the untruthfulness that exists in most Internet websites?

Let's be nice and proper (which everyone here knows you are, and I'm not, really) and take this private if you feel like pursuing this John. Either way, I probably wouldn't care because I have not met you. Which is what the Internet is when it comes down to defining it in no uncertain terms. Get what I mean? No? Then let's just leave it.

Last edited:
Reverend said:
Actually I don't, but it is telling you quoted (and therefore address) what you did and what you didn't.

Is it because we disagree on what's "ethical" and "what is the truth", because of what I post after leaving this site, and in the untruthfulness that exists in most Internet websites?

Let's be nice and proper (which everyone here knows you are, and I'm not, really) and take this private if you feel like pursuing this John. Either way, I probably wouldn't care because I have not met you. Which is what the Internet is when it comes down to defining it in no uncertain terms. Get what I mean? No? Then let's just leave it.
popcorn.gif

Uhm i'm sorry to butt in... but.... uhm... What seems to be the problem this time?

I mean sometimes i feel like Homer... All these words are "blah blah blah" and i only hear "food"...

blah blah blah blah blah FOOD blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah FOOD blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DONUTS blah blah blah blah blah blah........

I really think you are doing this the wrong way, Reverend. :devilish:
You must know that complaining is NOT the right way to get things changed.
Offering advices and suggestions IS.

Why not just tell what you would like to see changed, what you would like removed or added to the reviews, instead of going in a sort of rant like that :?:

(I'm not nice and I don't like that. :mad: Must be a necessary evil :devilish: )

Reverend said:

Considering that Dave answered the same way (only in more detail) than I did, then one would think that I felt comfortable addressing it because it's common sense to me. I was not speaking for Dave...I was speaking my opinion based on how I value the "game benchmarks" that he does.

I didn't know that Dave would or should forbid others from making comments to your public questions posted on a message board. You should be more careful in the future, Rev, if you are uncomfortable with your posts addressed by all those who have access to them.

Joe DeFuria said:
I didn't know that Dave would or should forbid others from making comments to your public questions posted on a message board. You should be more careful in the future, Rev, if you are uncomfortable with your posts addressed by all those who have access to them.

That's what left me scratching my head. Since Anthony here lately tends to pose these abrupt questions without initially explaining why or what his own thinking is it's rather hard to to know exactly where he's intending to go with it. Which is why I asked why he used games for testing all the years he was more active and into 3D tech.

london-boy said:
Uhm i'm sorry to butt in... but.... uhm... What seems to be the problem this time?

I mean sometimes i feel like Homer... All these words are "blah blah blah" and i only hear "food"...

blah blah blah blah blah FOOD blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah FOOD blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DONUTS blah blah blah blah blah blah........

only difference is that you dont hear "food" and "donuts"...... :devilish:

:LOL:

Ingenu said:
You must know that complaining is NOT the right way to get things changed.
I didn't "complain". I was making a suggestion in my own (apparently abhorrent) way.

You know me... I like stirring up "shit" from time to time, posting "shit" that I hoped should result in healthy and positive discussions. But I get reactions from the usual suspects that I know I'll never get from folks like Dave or Nick (look at John's and Joe's first post/response in this thread and compare that to Nick's). There must be a reason.

John Reynolds said:
That's what left me scratching my head. Since Anthony here lately tends to pose these abrupt questions without initially explaining why or what his own thinking is it's rather hard to to know exactly where he's intending to go with it. Which is why I asked why he used games for testing all the years he was more active and into 3D tech.
I already answered this in a previous post. But it seems after "all the years" you haven't noticed the significant difference between me and Dave when it comes to writing a review as well as our (Dave, me) interest in 3D. I'm so sorry for misreading your obviously-and-nothing-more-than innocent and curious question as sarcasm, John.

Beyond3D, and maybe Dave, works well for you (and Joe and a bunch of others). Familiarity is important and, probably more importantly, preferable.

Joe DeFuria said:
You seem to be under the impression that the only people who care about "game benchmarks" are gamers. Incorrect. A "game" is just another application that stresses the hardware.
<damned new forum... Please read what Joe is responding to>.

You repeat what Dave posted. I will not, however, repeat what I also posted in another post of mine regarding what Dave's (and B3D's, and most other "hardware review sites" consist of) sections on games benchmarks consists of 99-100% of the time, as well as what and where I think Dave's real interest in 3D hardware lies and therefore where I think "Beyond3D" can go where no other site resides.

If Dave has said that we can get (games... really, only games) benchmarks of the R520 elsewhere when he "only" came out with the R520 tech article first, I read that as there's only one kind of benchmarks he can "repeat" (as in, like the other sites) -- AA and filtering. It's the way programmers can make their games in terms of menu options relevant to a site like B3D -- they can't provide options that toggles things/features that Dave's spends a considerable amount of time (due to his primary interest in video cards... IMO, of course) covering in his tech sections. How much more can a beaten horse be beaten, again and again?

Like you said, a game is an application. But it sure as hell doesn't reveal more about a piece of hardware in the way Dave likes to reveal it, either for you guys or for himself in his road to 3D discovery like he will get from absolutely and undeniably from purely synthetic tests.

Why has he insisted on ever more synthetic tests from new 3DMarks and deemed all those 3DMark "game demos" as useless, even though those 3DMark game demos is what FM deems as approximates of what games are? How significant is this in light of what I tried to say (and it appears I have failed, due to certain individuals posts) when starting this thread? I don't want to appear like I'm trying to turn this into a "3DMark thread" but surely this is relevant.

Reverend said:
Why has he insisted on ever more synthetic tests from new 3DMarks and deemed all those 3DMark "game demos" as useless
Sorry... I'm not sure if Dave actually said this in public but that's the truth.

If 3DMark's ultimate use is as a crystal ball, as far as software (=games) taking advantage of hardware, and that Dave (and the rest) is "limited" to using currently available games in their reviews while talking extensively (and Dave dedicated his entire first article on the R520 to its technology, with no benchmarks) about "what is possible", what do you expect me to surmise?

Back