Question about what Sony makes...

EndR

Regular
I was wondering what is Sony fabbing/making regarding PS3/PSP/PS2..
For example.. is Sony the only ones making the Cell for PS3 or is Toshiba helping out with the mass production? What about RSX, is Sony at it all alone?

Same goes for the PSP.. who is making the CPU/GPU for PSP? Sony by themselves?

Another question, where are all these machines assembled.. in Sony factories or have they contracted it out like MS has with Flextronic/Winston etc etc.

???

The trend for Sony near the beginning of the produts lives has been to assemble them themselves, but as the products age China has played a larger role in assembly and packaging.

I think PSP is already having half of it's production done in China at this point.

They fab all of their own chips at Nagasaki and at the joint facility with Toshiba, and it will be the same for RSX. Not sure if Toshiba will be contrinuting any of their Cell yields to Sony or not, but Sony has a stake in some of IBM's Cell production.

Prefered RAM sources have tended to be Toshiba, Elpida, and Samsung.

The LCD screens on the PSP were originally sourced from Sharp, not sure if an additional supplier has entered the mix yet or not.

xbdestroya said:
The trend for Sony near the beginning of the produts lives has been to assemble them themselves, but as the products age China has played a larger role in assembly and packaging.

I think PSP is already having half of it's production done in China at this point.

They fab all of their own chips at Nagasaki and at the joint facility with Toshiba, and it will be the same for RSX. Not sure if Toshiba will be contrinuting any of their Cell yields to Sony or not, but Sony has a stake in some of IBM's Cell production.

Prefered RAM sources have tended to be Toshiba, Elpida, and Samsung.

The LCD screens on the PSP were originally sourced from Sharp, not sure if an additional supplier has entered the mix yet or not.

Thanks! It was like I thought then...

Sony actually moved a lot of PSP manufacturing to Hon-Hai in Taiwan a couple of months back.

Samsung are also doing PSP LCD screens now, heard the European PSPs have Samsung screens – maybe an offshoot of the Sony-Samsung LCD alliance.

avaya said:
Sony actually moved a lot of PSP manufacturing to Hon-Hai in Taiwan a couple of months back.

Samsung are also doing PSP LCD screens now, heard the European PSPs have Samsung screens – maybe an offshoot of the Sony-Samsung LCD alliance.

Yep, got mine dead-pixel-free :D

Back