Qualcomm Roadmap (2011-2012)

Don't hurt the messenger if it shouldn't be true. In any case one is glad to be of service ;)

I would rather kill those from the verge than you :devilish:
So be calm :smile:

As it has a snapdragon processor. Perhaps it could go here? Anyway the upcomming htc one has got official photos. ..snapdragon 600s....front facing stereo speakers. ..something I have been yearning for for ages..

If they bring out a 5+ inch model of this design...with snapdragon 800..im sold :)

http://www.gsmarena.com/new_htc_one_press_photo_leaks_confirms_black_and_silver_colors-news-5562.php
uploadfromtaptalk1361277766454.jpg

I'm cautiously optimistic that some of the new phones with a screen of 4.5 to 4.7" with very slim bezels might actually turn out to be reasonably pocketable.

I previously thought that anything over 4.3" might be too unwieldy but the early pics of the new HTC (and the Jiayu G5 if I fancy saving a bit of cash) indicate they might turn out to be more compact.

I'm cautiously optimistic that some of the new phones with a screen of 4.5 to 4.7" with very slim bezels might actually turn out to be reasonably pocketable.

I previously thought that anything over 4.3" might be too unwieldy but the early pics of the new HTC (and the Jiayu G5 if I fancy saving a bit of cash) indicate they might turn out to be more compact.

Yes this should be more than pocketable..that ppi is bordering on the ridiculous. .RBG subpixels as well..crazy image quality.

Yes this should be more than pocketable..that ppi is bordering on the ridiculous. .RBG subpixels as well..crazy image quality.

Ive had a good look at the htc one..a few videos..writes up and hands on..my first impression is I want one lol... but..
-its blatantly an amalgamation of all current most successfull ideas...not necessarily a bad thing. ..just not very innovative.

-design comes from the iphone 5...
-software comes from wp8...the start screen looks amd performs suspiciously like live tiles..just with some funky animation. .
-the camera tech has its ideas in nokias pure view tech..even if the implementation is a little different...both the ultra pixels vs over sampling (making the picture about quality rsther than just pixels. ..near 5mp shots that are super enhanced above and beyond normal 5mp)

-image stabilisation (ios) which keeps image steady and lets allows the shutter to stay open longer to allow moe light to enter.
-stereo high quality recording in video..very similar to nokias rich recording..
-camera software a fomete copy from nokia...htc zoe lets you take photos in a movie format so can be edited. .

-the only original thing on the design is the 2 front facing stereo speaker s..which I have to say ive been crossing my fingers for ages to see...glad htc has put it together..gaming/movies would really benefit from this...if only it had a kickstand that could be used in both landscape and portrait. ..

-also going by anandtechs article? It only mentions lpddr2...was thinking a majority of the benefits of snapdragon s600 came from in creased bandwidth?

Anyway whilst th originality of almost all the features can be certainly questioned...the actual finished product looks very high quality and desirable....I suppose everyone's copying to some extent..so dog eat dog and all that?

-its blatantly an amalgamation of all current most successfull ideas...not necessarily a bad thing. ..just not very innovative.
Really? I actually think it's one of the most innovative smartphones from the last 2 years.

-design comes from the iphone 5...
Unless you think apple owns the rectangle with round corners, I see zero inspiration on the iphones.
They just applied the typical HTC speaker grills to the top and bottom of the device and the back is round. It has nothing to do with the iphones.

-the camera tech has its ideas in nokias pure view tech..even if the implementation is a little different...both the ultra pixels vs over sampling (making the picture about quality rsther than just pixels. ..near 5mp shots that are super enhanced above and beyond normal 5mp)
The larger and less pixels is something that finally someone has had the courage to do, and the results speak for themselves. This is the complete opposite of what's in Pureview V1 so I don't understand why you say it "has its ideas from Nokia".

-image stabilisation (ios) which keeps image steady and lets allows the shutter to stay open longer to allow moe light to enter.
It's a MEMS IOS. The difference from the 920 is that this one has a faster move rate but operates for less time. Only reviews will tell which one plays better, but I'd say that thanks to the larger pixels, the One might be superior in low-light scenarios with moving objects while the 920 should be better for still scenarios .

-stereo high quality recording in video..very similar to nokias rich recording..
Nokia's "rich recording" isn't even stereo in the 920, so how is it similar?

-camera software a fomete copy from nokia...htc zoe lets you take photos in a movie format so can be edited. .
Zoe is new, as I haven't seen anything pre-installed that's similar to it. It's clearly different from Nokia's movie editors.

-the only original thing on the design is the 2 front facing stereo speaker s..which I have to say ive been crossing my fingers for ages to see...glad htc has put it together..gaming/movies would really benefit from this.[/QUOTE

I actually have a smartphone with stereo speakers.. the only difference is that they're facing the sides (or top and bottom when it's in portrait mode).

Anyway whilst th originality of almost all the features can be certainly questioned...the actual finished product looks very high quality and desirable....I suppose everyone's copying to some extent..so dog eat dog and all that?

There's a lot of innovation in HTC One, to be honest.
SoC aside (because HTC doesn't make their own Socs), at least there's a lot more innovation in HTC One that there was in iphone 5, Galaxy S3, Xperia T and many others.

My only 2 problems with the device are the lack of microSD and HTC's stuborness in not putting a hardware button for menu, forcing the screen estate to be reduced in order to put a virtual button for menu.

I just want to get a look at dat screen!

HTC One looks damn sexy. But i just cant stand Sense, i really liked Xperia Z after playing with it so i will wait for the upgraded version in the fall with a better SoC and perhaps an improved screen

Really? I actually think it's one of the most innovative smartphones from the last 2 years.

Unless you think apple owns the rectangle with round corners, I see zero inspiration on the iphones.
They just applied the typical HTC speaker grills to the top and bottom of the device and the back is round. It has nothing to do with the iphones.

The larger and less pixels is something that finally someone has had the courage to do, and the results speak for themselves. This is the complete opposite of what's in Pureview V1 so I don't understand why you say it "has its ideas from Nokia".

It's a MEMS IOS. The difference from the 920 is that this one has a faster move rate but operates for less time. Only reviews will tell which one plays better, but I'd say that thanks to the larger pixels, the One might be superior in low-light scenarios with moving objects while the 920 should be better for still scenarios .

Nokia's "rich recording" isn't even stereo in the 920, so how is it similar?

Zoe is new, as I haven't seen anything pre-installed that's similar to it. It's clearly different from Nokia's movie editors.

-the only original thing on the design is the 2 front facing stereo speaker s..which I have to say ive been crossing my fingers for ages to see...glad htc has put it together..gaming/movies would really benefit from this.[/QUOTE

I actually have a smartphone with stereo speakers.. the only difference is that they're facing the sides (or top and bottom when it's in portrait mode).

There's a lot of innovation in HTC One, to be honest.
SoC aside (because HTC doesn't make their own Socs), at least there's a lot more innovation in HTC One that there was in iphone 5, Galaxy S3, Xperia T and many others.

My only 2 problems with the device are the lack of microSD and HTC's stuborness in not putting a hardware button for menu, forcing the screen estate to be reduced in order to put a virtual button for menu.

I just want to get a look at dat screen!

Well as I pointed out. (And could be argued for an eternity) the design philosophy and ideas seem to have been inspired by the other more recent successful smartphones.

Dont tell me the overall shape doesnt remind you of an iphone 5..another reviewer also picked up on this straight away..even if they did suggest in hand feel was very different.

Software..you didnt mention the wp inspired start screen...I thought not.
Htc zoe captures pictures in a movie fomat and can be edited in special cases..very similsr to the 2 apps nokia demoed on the 920 release..I forget what they are called...anyway the idea is once again based somewhere else..they have just ran with it.

The image stabilisation looks neat..but the whole idea behind ios and capturing more light was nokias on a smartphone.

Making a smaller mega pixel shot a much higher quality through a dedicated technology such as over sampling or using higher sized pixels as in htcs case was also nokias idea...-remember htc brought out a 16mp camera last year at the same time nokia shocked the world with pureview... mmm ¤

Stereo rich recording was also integrated into that 808 pureview you will remember. .why that wasnt introduced into 920 is anyones guess...but we see a patern forming here...

All in all I agree it looks like a very very good phone....its like they looked at all the most successfull ideas over a 12 month period and pulled out all the stops to integrate them into one phone..both software and hardware...the result does look astonishing I have to admit...but its definitely htc doing a steve Jobs and perfecting existing ideas than inventing the wheel...then again apple products have never been ground breaking from a feature perspective...its how they put it all together and smooth over the rough edges that made them successfull.

Steve didnt get much wrong now did he?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will it be enough to save HTC from losing more sales?

Supposedly they were going to focus more on China, since they were losing sales in most of the G8 countries.

So are all high-end Android phones on the Snapdragon bandwagon now?

Supposedly they were going to focus more on China, since they were losing sales in most of the G8 countries.

Their big problem last year was that they had no real marketing behind One X, they expected Verizon and the others to push their phones for them. Then Samsung shows up with a billion dollar marketing campaign and destroys them. Having Apple ban One X for import for a few months didnt help either

Its a shame because the US One X was the better phone

Looks like it..jubei repoted on other exynos thread that galaxy s4 may be snapdragon 600s after all...judging by the fact thst chip pulls 12, 000 on quadrant @1080p and with only lpddr2. .I would say performance wont be the issue here :)

Edit here we are troopers..
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1816624/htc_one_destroys_nexus_4_in_benchmark_test.html

" ‘Using the standard Quadrant Benchmark test here we’re finding that the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quad-core processor is blowing up the charts, destroying the previous high-mark in the basic readout by more than DOUBLE,’ reports SlashGear."

WOW. :)

Dont tell me the overall shape doesnt remind you of an iphone 5..another reviewer also picked up on this straight away..even if they did suggest in hand feel was very different.

It doesn't. Having a HTC One and looking at one every day, I can't fathom why someone would ever claim the One's design is coming from an iphone instead of the One X's.

And let's be honest, apple-loving fanboy reviewers will see apple stuff in everything, be it on smartphones, houses, food, whatever.

Software..you didnt mention the wp inspired start screen...I thought not.
I wouldn't comment on something I haven't properly seen.

Htc zoe captures pictures in a movie fomat and can be edited in special cases..very similsr to the 2 apps nokia demoed on the 920 release..I forget what they are called...anyway the idea is once again based somewhere else..they have just ran with it.
Do the Nokia apps let you put photos along with the videos in one video stream?

The image stabilisation looks neat..but the whole idea behind ios and capturing more light was nokias on a smartphone.
That's like saying nvidia invented the "GPUs on laptops" because it they were the first to bring a discrete GPU into the form factor.
IOS with MEMS have been around for some time in cameras. It was only a matter of time before these systems were shrinked to a form factor that fits a smartphone.
Yes, Nokia were the first to implement them, but it doesn't mean that everyone else is going to copy Nokia, it just means they came later to the party.

Unless you also think that everyone is copying the iphone for high dpi screens too.

And to be fair, HTC's implementation of the IOS seems better than Nokia's. HTC could fit it into a thin and light phone with a large battery, whereas Nokia used the IOS as an excuse to make a fat, bulky and heavy phone with a smallish battery.

Making a smaller mega pixel shot a much higher quality through a dedicated technology such as over sampling or using higher sized pixels as in htcs case was also nokias idea...
I'm sorry, but I find this argument too much of a nonsense.
Nokia's Pureview Phase 1 used an enormous sensor with lots of regular-sized pixels to achieve good quality through oversampling. Pureview Phase 2 in the 920 is basically a standard 8MP sensor with the OIS.
HTC's method is pretty much the opposite of Pureview P1. It uses a regular-sized sensor with less but larger pixels.

What exactly was Nokia's idea that HTC took advantage of?
Is "trying to achieve better camera quality" an idea now?!

More smashing benchmarks...
Pi 151
Antutu 22, 000+
http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-benchmark-scores-are-here-ready-to-blow-your-mind/

Scores second on browsermark but htc has obviously got some software tweaking to do..so results could actually get better.
Anyone got gl benchmark 2.5.1 results? ?

Im pinching my self with excitement here, this is not even reference clocked and bandwidthed!! Can you imagine snapdragon 800...;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't. Having a HTC One and looking at one every day, I can't fathom why someone would ever claim the One's design is coming from an iphone instead of the One X's.

And let's be honest, apple-loving fanboy reviewers will see apple stuff in everything, be it on smartphones, houses, food, whatever.

I wouldn't comment on something I haven't properly seen.

Do the Nokia apps let you put photos along with the videos in one video stream?

That's like saying nvidia invented the "GPUs on laptops" because it they were the first to bring a discrete GPU into the form factor.
IOS with MEMS have been around for some time in cameras. It was only a matter of time before these systems were shrinked to a form factor that fits a smartphone.
Yes, Nokia were the first to implement them, but it doesn't mean that everyone else is going to copy Nokia, it just means they came later to the party.

Unless you also think that everyone is copying the iphone for high dpi screens too.

And to be fair, HTC's implementation of the IOS seems better than Nokia's. HTC could fit it into a thin and light phone with a large battery, whereas Nokia used the IOS as an excuse to make a fat, bulky and heavy phone with a smallish battery.

I'm sorry, but I find this argument too much of a nonsense.
Nokia's Pureview Phase 1 used an enormous sensor with lots of regular-sized pixels to achieve good quality through oversampling. Pureview Phase 2 in the 920 is basically a standard 8MP sensor with the OIS.
HTC's method is pretty much the opposite of Pureview P1. It uses a regular-sized sensor with less but larger pixels.

What exactly was Nokia's idea that HTC took advantage of?
Is "trying to achieve better camera quality" an idea now?!

Your basically agreeing with me then..as apart from design which is subjective.

I said htc took other ideas and put their own flavour on them..whether thats better or worse is not my point..just the idea.

Also I dont even like Apple. .. .and have said I LIKE what htc had done with the htc one..nothing derogatory was said towards htc..I mearly pointed out out there design inspirations...

"HTC could fit it into a thin and light phone with a large battery, whereas Nokia used the IOS as an excuse to make a fat, bulky and heavy phone with a smallish battery"....

Tell me then, which one of us is starting to sound like a fanboi ;)

More smashing benchmarks...
Pi 151
Antutu 22, 000+
http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-benchmark-scores-are-here-ready-to-blow-your-mind/

Scores second on browsermark but htc has obviously got some software tweaking to do..so results could actually get better.
Anyone got gl benchmark 2.5.1 results? ?

Im pinching my self with excitement here, this is not even reference clocked and bandwidthed!! Can you imagine snapdragon 800...;)
I hate all those pointless Java benchmarks,
Java linpack is shit, which is nowhere close to peak processor performance(RgbenchMM is much better, at least it's not varying by 100% like Java Android market linpack)
Antutu, Quadrant, Smartbench 2012 are pointless synthetics, does anybody know what they measure? Are their scores of parrots in vacuum are somehow related to any real tasks?(highly doubt). And where the sources? I would like to know if those benchmarks are using some standart Android libs which could be tweaked for 100% parrots gains:LOL:
These shitty benchmarks even don't consider device resolutions when calculating their final scores, final scores in AnTuTu just a sum of all scores(this ridiculous). I wonder why anybody give a credit to such garbage

Back