'Quad' SLI mainboard from Gigabyte

AlphaWolf said:
Base of 200 is pretty low, if you move into more ram and drives, raid controller, platinum audigy card. You can easily exceed 300 watts before the vid card.
Easily, how? Check Anandtech reviews, there's hardly any system they tested there that breaks 300 even WITH everything counted, much less excluding vid card.

Like already mentioned, people tend to REALLY overstate power consumption in PCs. HDDs only really use power while spinning up, when idling it's no more than 6-9W typically. An audigy soundcard probably draws only a few watts (no heatsink on the main chip; epoxy chip carrier too). You can't draw very much out of a PCI slot anyway, it isn't designed to handle a very big load, which is why the Aegia PPU card comes with an extra power connector on it (load of either just the chip itself or entire card is ~25W according to specs).

Mordenkainen said:
Both pairs could mix through the regular PCIe connectors like the GF6600's SLI, etc. Anyway, that pic is only showing one monitor (coming off the third card down). Where are you seeing the second display's cable?

Ooh. My bad. I was looking at the keyboard cable instead! :$

Shogun said:
Jiga is actually the most correct pronounciation of the prefix.

Most correct? Who decided one correct pronounciation was MORE correct than the other? When I look in my dictionary it lists both, it doesn't suggest that one is more correct than the other.

As for the word in question it is actually in reference to the name of a company, so I suppose that it only has one correct pronounciation. Whichever that is, I don't know.

AlphaWolf said:
Most correct? Who decided one correct pronounciation was MORE correct than the other? When I look in my dictionary it lists both, it doesn't suggest that one is more correct than the other.

As for the word in question it is actually in reference to the name of a company, so I suppose that it only has one correct pronounciation. Whichever that is, I don't know.

Ms. Ladlow, a former English teacher, so hush, lest you incur her biblical fury. :smile:

After hearing Christopher Loyd discribe 1.21 Jigawatts of required power, I quized her about it and she said it was the more correct pronounciation as the root word (Latin/Greek/whatever?) gigantis is pronouced with a Ji.

Every day's a school day. :)

Edit - although how do we know it was pronounced like that? It's Latin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back