PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable error

None of the boot or drive settings should matter if the drive isn't detected at all.

Have you tried a different SSD in that laptop?

Are you using the latest bios for the Lenovo G550? The laptop was marketed in 2009 might possibly need an update.

Ahh, wait
wasnt there a problem with sata 1.0 and they had to fix it with sata either 1.0b or 1.1a ?
I'm sure I remember sata 2.0 drives having problems with sata 1.0 controllers

Last edited:
So it's a sata ssd? Try plugging the data to laptop but use the power from a PC PSU.

Btw have the uefi been updated?

Are you using the latest bios for the Lenovo G550? The laptop was marketed in 2009 might possibly need an update.

The latest version on Lenovo support page is from April 2010 and mfg date is November 09, I don't think that changes much judging by the .txt file on the site. How do I flash the BIOS when I can't boot into Windows?

The latest version on Lenovo support page is from April 2010 and mfg date is November 09, I don't think that changes much judging by the .txt file on the site. How do I flash the BIOS when I can't boot into Windows?
Usually you flash the bios way before Windows boots, though some manufacturers also provide an executable for flashing from the command prompt in windows.
There should be instructions on the web site or in the instruction manual for your product.

I'll take a look at your support page.

Edit: Just look and your manufacturer provides an executable.
One way to update your bios would be to use the HDD that boots into Windows. Follow instructions from website for execution.

Last edited:
One way to update your bios would be to use the HDD that boots into Windows. Follow instructions from website for execution.

If I use that other laptop's HDD, won't that change its core files so that it won't boot properly when put back in its original laptop? Since when you start the executable in the 2nd step it says Do not change the default installation path, which is C:\BIOS.

If I use that other laptop's HDD, won't that change its core files so that it won't boot properly when put back in its original laptop? Since when you start the executable in the 2nd step it says Do not change the default installation path, which is C:\BIOS.
Not sure why you want to change the installation path. The directory it creates is only temporary to store the files it needs to flash your "hardware" bios from the command prompt.

You should contact Lenovo from their support page if you have questions.
Also you can UNZIP the downloaded executable into a directory on your drive and look at contents. It contains the usual bios flashing files; WinPhlash64.exe, bios file, .bat file and support files.

Not sure why you want to change the installation path. The directory it creates is only temporary to store the files it needs to flash your "hardware" bios from the command prompt.

Good knowing it's only temporary, so it's safe to assume I won't brick the OS installation on that drive?

I've flashed motherboard bios many times and it has nothing to do with your OS -- no files are added to your OS. I believe you mentioned the SSD drive worked in the other computer, so if you want you can take a look and see if you have a C:\bios directory.

As mentioned above if uncomfortable with the procedure you should pose questions with Lenovo support (email), or they should have a knowledge base (FAQ) page. You can also check the Lenovo forums, specifically for "bios" or "flashing" topics.

Even though I have an Asus motherboard I ran the program on my computer. It will give you a GUI display and check to see if it is running on a compatible motherboard. You will have to confirm the flash if the motherboard is compatible (in my case it wasn't).

Edit: You might want to do a search on WinPhlash64.exe

An option open to you is to create a restore (recovery) point in Windows before you do the flash (this is usually done automatically when you install software in Windows). You will have to do it manually (Windows feature) but will enable you to restore your OS at the point before you run the bios flash program.

Last edited:

If using modern enough windows like windows Vista, it will automatically use default windows driver and you still be able to boot into windows. It just a bit longer.

When the hdd is plugged back to other computer. Windows will also remember to use the previous driver.

If in doubt, you also can make a windows system restore checkpoint on the hdd first. Before plugging it to laptop.

Then restore back.

If using windows 10, as long as you are connected to the

Really strange. Maybe the ssd have its contacts a wee bit borked, and the laptop port got too little tolerance?

Maybe the power drops a wee bit under 5v and ssd is more sensitive?

Anyway, maybe using SHDD as a Workaround. As hdd still works. SHDD maybe works too. It's also can be as fast as ssd for some stuff.

@pharma Nothing like that option in the BIOS, which is very bare bones, I can only disable wireless LAN, and ofc nothing happens. As for the boot order, what you say is by default, so no go there as well.
Can you post a screenshot of the BOOT tab in the bios? Or does the options in the BOOT tab look similar to the video link below?
How To - Change Boot Order in BIOS - Lenovo Support US

Edit: In the video they mention how to completely remove a device from boot order. Is it possible to remove PXE booting as the video states?

Back