Puppeteer [PS3]

That trailer looks so bloody awesome :p ! Sony is awesome ! Why can't more devs take cue and make such superb gems instead of aping a singlw success story.

BTW, playing The Cave right now and I so wish there were more of such different than usual games. Wish more devs realise that we need variety and more gamers realise that macho isn't everything.

That trailer looks so bloody awesome :p ! Sony is awesome ! Why can't more devs take cue and make such superb gems instead of aping a singlw success story.

BTW, playing The Cave right now and I so wish there were more of such different than usual games. Wish more devs realise that we need variety and more gamers realise that macho isn't everything.

There are many innovative and different "indie" (whatever that means) games, but you have to look for them yourself.

Yes, but I want them as polished as these titles. I enjoyed Cave Story+ a lot too, but I would much prefer if such games also got the AAA treatment like the Uncharteds, CODs, BFs, etc. frankly, its only Heavy Rain where an adventure game got a full blown AAA treatment from devs/publishers. HR, LBP, Journey, Flower and now The Cave,Rain and Puppeteer, I would love to see this trend blossom into mainstream.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06...-puppeteer-getting-a-demo-in-japan-this-week/

Looks like we will be able to put our greedy hands on one of the most unique between the PS3 exclusives coming this year quite soon, as Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia announced this morning with a press release that Puppeteer is going to get a demo version.

The demo, named “Rehearsal Version”, will be available on June the 27th on the Japanese PSN.

That's yesterday, Japan time.

Gavin Moore Talks Puppeteer, How to Write Games and why “Variation is Everything”

Interview Highlights:

And obviously you worked on The Getaway and more serious, violent games.

Yeah, that’s funny actually, I did The Getaway and when it finished I moved to work in Tokyo with Toyama-san, who did Gravity Rush, and we worked on three Siren games together. So after a very realistic violent gangster game, and a realistic scary horror game, I was fed up with making realistic things. And that’s why I wanted to do something completely crazy where I can do everything I like.

And now you can make a game your kids can play.

Yeah, the whole original idea was because my son and I were playing games, we were playing this team player game, and he just got up and walked outside to play with his friends. And half of me was like ‘that’s cool’, because I’m a dad, and the other half was ‘hold on a second, you’re a game creator and he should be playing games’.
So I sat down and asked him what was going on, and he said ‘well what we’ve been playing, it’s all the same, we’ve just been playing the same things’. So I asked him what he wanted – ‘I want a game that changes every 5-10 minutes’. And I was like [bulges eyes].
You can control both the main player and the cat at the same time with the same controller.

Yeah, when people play a normal platforming game they run through them – right? They wouldn’t see anything, but with our game we’re trying to make it more like theater, so we dictate the pacing. We’re trying to slow them down to let the acting and the voice work come through. And the way you do that is give them this secondary character where they can hunt around and find objects and touch on things. In single player that’s all you can do with that other character, in two player that character has a lot more stuff. Yeah you can hunt around and touch on things – but you can also stop enemies attacking you, you can get rid of objects that are going to hurt the main character, you can pull the heads of little enemies, and things like that. You can collect gems, but if you don’t give them back to the main character then they don’t get them; for instance, the cat just gets fatter and fatter. You can also get in the way of the main player and cause problems. You can click on things and make them pop up and throw player one in the air. So you can help them or hinder. You can pull the lead character’s head off as well [laughs].

But two player is really cool because, you know what I said about my son, he got up and left me in the middle of a two player game – that’s the end of my game. But what we do is even if you select one player or two player at the beginning of the game it doesn’t matter, because if you don’t touch the second controller, it will always switch back to one player, and if you select one player and pick up the second controller, it will turn in to two player. So it means you could be playing and then you might need some help, so then you pull over your friend, and they can pick up a controller and help you, and then put it down again and carry on what they were doing. That happens to me a lot in my household – my kids are like, “Dad, I need help”, and I say “I can’t, I’m writing.” And even if I do help, these are single player games, so I have to take the controller away from them, clear it and give it back, and they feel like they haven’t achieved anything. But with this, that doesn’t have to happen.
How long is the game?

If you ran through the game, it’s about ten hours. Normal play is between 12 and 13 hours. But because the heads are your life, and they fall off, and you find these different heads and they can do different things in the game, to actually find all the secrets in the game, like all 100 heads, you can’t do it all in one straight pay-through. What’s kind of cool is that there are also four hero heads, and those are the heroes of the moon when the goddess was usurped by the Moon Bear King and they rose up in this rebellion against him, but they were pathetic and he killed them and ripped off their heads and threw them into the moon as a warning to everybody else. And you can find those heads, which you can never lose, unlike the normal heads. But the way the game works, is in the kitchen you’ll see a bomb mark on the pot, but you don’t get the ninja’s head which has the bomb power until act two. But yeah, there are a lot of secrets [grins].

There are heads coming off, souls being destroyed – it’s quite dark.

Well the way I wrote it was in English and Japanese at the same time with a Japanese writer helping me. It was really interesting because the mandate was Tim Burton, Monty Python, Terry Gilliam – that was it. And so we had a whole day of Monty Python where we just sat and watched it and Terry Gilliam movies. So it’s written for both kids and adults. There’s a lot of humor kids won’t get, sarcasm and stupid things where adults will go “That’s brilliant. That’s really funny.” And it’s dark because I think that human beings inherently like that sort of darkness. We’re leaning towards more of a black world rather than a nice white world, so we wrote it particularly a dark fairytale. Well, I call it a fairytale, but it’s more of a Greek three act play. Kids and adults will like it. You can see that from the popularity of Tim Burton.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-write-games-and-why-variation-is-everything/

Holy freaking moly ! Just look at them graphics ! at par with, if not better than LBP2 ! Absolutely fantastic ! I don't think it has realtime GI like LBP2, though.But the game seems to be crazy like hell ! lol ! I think this warrants a pre-order :p !

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swF2pJop0WM">YouTube Link</a>

Holy freaking moly ! Just look at them graphics ! at par with, if not better than LBP2 ! Absolutely fantastic ! I don't think it has realtime GI like LBP2, though.But the game seems to be crazy like hell ! lol ! I think this warrants a pre-order :p !

Is the game available as pre order in psn store?

Is the game available as pre order in psn store?

Well, what do you know, Sony just sent me a mail asking me to preorder Puppeteer !
But looks like the mail isn't taking me to the correct page, so I don't know if it is available yet, but ,ist be, considering Sony is sending mails. Will chk later

The demo is available now. And since Sony has once again misunderstood the purpose of a demo it's only available to PS+ members. Next week it'll be available to everyone.

The demo is 5.8 GB, so it took me 2.5 hours to download and install.

The demo well worth it. The platforming is nothing like LBP, and the presentation is done incredibly well. I think children will love this. I'm definitely buying it myself.

May give it a go ... having to throw away a bunch of my Playstation Plus games though ... man, PSPlus really fills up a harddrive fast (I have 320GB)

Mind you - Ni No Kuni and Battlefield 3 (which I bought a year before we got it free on PSPlus, but barely played), both as digital versions, clock in at something like 45GB together, so that doesn't help either. ;)

Also trying the Rayman Legends demo. Loved Origins. Pity that for some reason the Vita demo isn't available over here yet.

Estimated download: 19 mins ... a bit better than you, then. ;) My downloads are often almost as fast as the install.

Back