Psycho dad shoots daughter's laptop over whiny Facebook post; puts on Youtube

well he seemed to be the one supporting it, so it seemed more like like "Do that on your own now", if both were remotely close.

Arguing is key, but you have to know how to argue whether it's your kids or your spouse. As hokey as it sounds, active listening works wonders with both. This is where your kid/spouse shouts/says something to you and the first thing you do is bite your tongue...then say back to them "what I hear you saying is..." and then summarize what you think they are expressing. You might be wrong, in which case they will correct your interpretation, or you might be right, in which case they feel "heard" and amazing things happen. I've tried to teach the technique to the kids' Mom, but she thinks "it's all bullshit" and wants to play the "did too/did not" game with them like she's a third-grader. After getting in fights and calling her daughter a "fucking little bitch" she was shocked - shocked I tell you - to hear her daughter call her that right back at the age of 9.

In many ways she's the most immature.

Anyways, definite yes on arguments.

Aye, active listening is huge. I've seen too many parents who think they are listening but aren't because they aren't hearing what they want to hear and then end up where neither the parent nor the child can connect.

As is consistent and fairly applied rules and structures. Not only to the child but to all the children. Chores, duties, responsibility all play into that. As well as punishments for undesired behavior.

Your ex-wife sounds like she wanted a pet or a "showcase" child that she could show off to her friends to show how much better she was than them. And when the kid didn't conform to being a showpiece then the ugliness comes out. I see this quite often. In fact my mother was quite like that. She has a lot of regrets about the past, but we've been able to talk it over now that I'm a lot older.

Hopefully at some point in the future your ex-wife will realize how wrong she was and maybe she'll be able to meaningfully reconnect with her children then.

And dear god, I wish parents would stop with the whole appeasement line of parenting. IMO, parents who think their child will get better if they just cater to the child everytime something bad happens is doing as much or more harm than a physically abusive parent. At least despite whatever harm a physically abusive parent does it prepares the kid for life in a world that isn't about catering to their every need. Neither is good obviously, but too much kindness is worse than too much abuse.

BTW - that last wasn't aimed at you or anything you've said. You seem to have a good grasp on how to best raise your child.

Regards,
SB

Yeah ... I'd like to see statistics to back that one up, I don't buy it.

The book that I cited certainly said too much kindness did not work at all and was worse in terms of lying and so forth than a strict household. Of course that isn't the same as abuse.

We need more parents like him. Oh no! the world is over, he embarrassed his whiny little brat of a daughter in front of her friends and the internet because we know that the opinions of your friends and complete strangers on the internet matters more than that of your parents. Get over yourself. If you want to mouth off and act as you please, pay your own bills and until you can do so legally obey your parents. I just love how this video will remain in history (the internet never forgets) so the daughter can come back and see the consequences of teenage stupidity after she has a family of her own (if, that is).

Facebook is nothing but a wasteland of narcissists and spam but if more parents used it in this way to teach respect to their children, I can see it having at least some redeeming value.

Facebook is nothing but a wasteland of narcissists and spam but if more parents used it in this way to teach respect to their children, I can see it having at least some redeeming value.
Ugh. That's a terrible, awful attitude. Respect is never won through hate and fear. You're totally on the wrong track when it comes to raising children, I really hope you don't have any yourself and never will, until you get a clue (or twelve plus.)

Or maybe she's at the age where idiocy, peer opinions, and rebellion dictate her course of action (otherwise known as teenage years).

Go ask any kid living in inner city Baltimore, Harlem, rural Virginia or hurricane devastated New Orleans and see if they wouldn't trade their current lives for one that only involved chores, going to school and looking for a job like hers.

Make a video to show his daughter and all the spoiled rich-and-needy brats of the first world how stupid, selfish and lazy they can get: spectacular.
Ground her, take away her smartphone and computer and stuff: great.

Shoot a fully funcional laptop: retarded.
Honest question: is there any other country/society in the world where people get this weird (quasi-erotic) need of solving matters with a gun?

The video would've had a much more positive and deeper meaning if he had just given the computer to a poor family.
He could've filmed that too, the happy face of a poor boy that's getting a laptop out of nowhere because he's getting something that his daughter had taken for granted. Now that would've been a valuable lesson. For her daughter and for all the millions of spoiled brats out there.
This has just shown how rotten their society has become. Trying to solve a big stupidity (daughter being disrespectful) with an enourmous stupidity (wasting valuable resources).

But no.
"Eeerm.. uuuh.. this is my forty-five.. erm.. BANG BANG eerm.. and your mother told me to put one bullet for her BANG."
That's his forty-five. How nice.

he probably made all this up because he dint manage to repair his daughters laptop, its not a mindless masculine showoff its destroying evidence.

But seriously, there is a severe lack of trust between him and his daughter, going through her private stuff (apparently repeatedly) is something that I find rather extreme and what cant help in whatever relationship those 2 have. Heck its not as he found needle-marks on her arms.
Teenagers do strange and stupid stuff, thats pretty much the only chance a person gets to outlive their stupid and get away without big consequences. Obviously I dont know the whole picture, but I wouldnt try to find all blame in the daughter... and I certainly couldnt f**cking pick sides and say how cool the father is for beating down on her in public.

Yes, you sound like quite the trololol if I may say so myself. 4 posts, and joined this month, what's the odds you joined TODAY even? Spambot account much? :p

Back