Psycho dad shoots daughter's laptop over whiny Facebook post; puts on Youtube

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Linky: http://www.slashgear.com/facebook-post-causes-man-to-shoot-daughters-computer-video-10213134/

Comments, anyone?

I can't help wondering myself why he had to shoot the laptop rather than lock it away in a closet or a drawer, or give it away to a charity or something (seems it was working perfectly fine before he riddled it with bullets), unless it was meant as a symbolic act aimed at his daughter. Ie, stop acting like a brat or next time I'll hurt you, kind of thing. Which makes me think he's a psycho, because this doesn't strike me like something a normal person does.

Also, computers take a lot of resources to manufacture, and just because he can afford to wreck it doesn't mean he should. As an adult he should fucking know better than to destroy stuff on a childish whim.

There's plenty of things he could have done worse than demonstrably destroying a laptop he presumably paid for and as he said in the video it wasn't her first offense. Oh and the video he posted on youtube has drawn ~20 million hits, if he's a youtube partner he's probably made back more than the cost of the laptop and his bullets.

Aye, seems relatively normal. When I was younger I used to shoot things just to blow off some steam. Sure beats drinking and getting into fights to blow off steam which is what many of my friends would do (back in Tokyo, Kaohsiung, and LA so don't make this into a US thing. :p). Or beating his kid, which I've seen occasionally.

So a combination of blowing off steam and making a point with the kid. Selling their laptop just doesn't have the same impact as seeing an angry father blowing it the hell away. :D

Besides if he is an avid Youtube surfer, then he probably already had the idea of posting it on Youtube even before his daughter broke the final straw.

Seems everything just cosmically aligned for a perfect way to deal with it and get a lot of hits on Youtube as a bonus.

Regards,
SB

How the hell do you manage to get into a fight in Japan?? (I bet they where your US friends? ;))

Anyway, assuming everything the girl wrote is true, I can understand why she is pissed. Doing the dishes a couple of times a week and taking out the trash once a week I can understand. But having her clean the floor and make you coffee? She's your kid, not a maid. I don't blame her for wanting to get paid for having to do all that shit.

The guy does have a point about her getting a job though. If you want something you have to work for it.

Making her pay back the laptop and grounding her is over the top though. She's 15 years old. She is supposed to rant about her parents. What did this guy expect?

Linky: http://www.slashgear.com/facebook-post-causes-man-to-shoot-daughters-computer-video-10213134/

Comments, anyone?

I can't help wondering myself why he had to shoot the laptop rather than lock it away in a closet or a drawer, or give it away to a charity or something (seems it was working perfectly fine before he riddled it with bullets), unless it was meant as a symbolic act aimed at his daughter. Ie, stop acting like a brat or next time I'll hurt you, kind of thing. Which makes me think he's a psycho, because this doesn't strike me like something a normal person does.

Also, computers take a lot of resources to manufacture, and just because he can afford to wreck it doesn't mean he should. As an adult he should fucking know better than to destroy stuff on a childish whim.

He shouldn't have destroyed it, but keep in mind this likely happened maybe an hour after he found the posts. He's clearly very mad and probably not thinking straight. Keep that in mind.

I wouldn't label him a psycho. While angry he was certainly in control and knew exactly what he was doing.

That said, I would never feel the need to pull out a gun on camera and shoot an inanimate object to demonstrate a point. I think he should've filmed giving the laptop away to a local school or charity.

What a great parent. Way to make your own daughter hate you for the entire life. Two messages she recieved - can't trust your own father and he might hurt you if you do something "wrong". Worst dad ever.

PS. I'd be slightly more understanding, if it was a case of his son being a whiny spoilt brat that needed to be taught a lesson. But DAUGHTER???????

I'm curious, why should he treat it any differently whether it was a girl or boy? Should he have thrown pink unicorns at the laptop?

It's way more fun to shoot watermelons, cantaloupes and shaving cream cans anyway...with the latter being the most fun. Laptops? Bah.

He's clearly very mad and probably not thinking straight. Keep that in mind.
I AM keeping it in mind; that he's so mad he's not thinking straight is part of what makes him a psycho dad*. ;)

I wouldn't label him a psycho. While angry he was certainly in control and knew exactly what he was doing.
Psychos can be very rational in their own way. It's just that they don't follow the same rules of thinking normal people do.

That said, I would never feel the need to pull out a gun on camera and shoot an inanimate object to demonstrate a point.
I'm betting a hundred bucks he's a person who regularly has rage issues who yells and screams and/or destroys things to threaten and intimidate when he gets angry, which probably happens a lot, whenever he gets frustrated or people don't do as he would prefer.

Besides, his daughter can probably report him to the police for theft and destruction of property, if that computer actually belonged to her. :p Just because someone's your kid doesn't mean you can take their stuff on a whim and wreck it.

*Edit: is it just me, or does the new Youtube site just f*cking suck? I think it's absolutely gobsmackingly terrible, I really hate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the thread topic...I told my kids early on that I could snoop and spy on anything they did but that I would never do that ever unless I thought they were in trouble of some sort. I never looked at my daughter's facebook until she friended me (she later deleted it entirely citing the drama and the fact that out of hundreds of "friends" she only really wanted to relate with a few) and I don't read their email or sniff their surfing (other than blocking torrenting at the firewall which was my exchange student).

Trust means a lot and instills a sense of responsibility IMHO. Sure, kids can be crazy and there are times to intercede, but any parent who regularly snoops or attempts to completely control their teenager is simply asking for that equal and opposite forces thing...instead of teaching them how to trust and to be trustworthy they teach them to be sneaky, untrusting and untrustworthy.

Shame.

Given that the guy was pissed off because she doesnt bother looking for a part time job I doubt she bought the laptop. Not that this is going to achieve anything. If you want her to get a job, just don't give her any money/stuff anymore and she'll get one in no time.

I'm betting a hundred bucks he's a person who regularly has rage issues who yells and screams and/or destroys things to threaten and intimidate when he gets angry, which probably happens a lot, whenever he gets frustrated or people don't do as he would prefer.

You can bet on the value of Pi and it won't change. Maybe he's an ass, maybe he's not. Maybe it's all a stunt for YouTube traffic.

Besides, his daughter can probably report him to the police for theft and destruction of property, if that computer actually belonged to her. :p Just because someone's your kid doesn't mean you can take their stuff on a whim and wreck it.

Actually, I don't know about where you live, but I'm pretty sure that's allowed here.

Oh, and psychotic means a break with reality. I don't see that in this guy. Like I said, could all just be stunt. If it were me - and I would have only snooped if I thought she were in REAL trouble and I would never get mad about my daughter bitching about chores - so let's say it were me and my daughter were doing something dangerous via facebook. I'd just set her status to "taking time to think about things," change her password and start talking with or without a therapist.

I'm curious, why should he treat it any differently whether it was a girl or boy?
Because of the *slightly* different psyche, duh.

I'd be slightly more understanding too, if this was 19th century Wild West. Then I'd say that cowboy simply doesn't know any better/was raised simialry. But it's 21st century in a civilised(?) country ffs!

EDIT: Unless it's all a hoax. :p

Because of the *slightly* different psyche, duh.

IMHO this may have a bias that's sex-based, but sex doesn't define psyche or capacity to handle confrontation or aggressive parenting. Were someone to choose to assault one of my kids on the street they'd be better off choosing the boy. He's nerd-talk them into submission while my daughter would beat the ever loving shit out of them (Muy-thai and taekwondo).

Given that the guy was pissed off because she doesnt bother looking for a part time job I doubt she bought the laptop.
If the daughter's 15 as I've seen reported, raging and shooting up her computer because she doesn't get a job doesn't seem entirely warranted IMO.

You can bet on the value of Pi and it won't change.
It's more common for the yelling and screaming, and/or easily frustrated type of person to pull out a gun and start perforating things for inconsequential or illogical reasons.

Maybe it's all a stunt for YouTube traffic.
Yeah, you're right. That's definitely also a possibility, but if that's the case I hope his daughter's in on it and OK with it, because like with what you said in your post about showing trust in your kids, mocking or embarrassing them online for the whole world to se really can scar them for life.

Actually, I don't know about where you live, but I'm pretty sure that's allowed here.
It's actually not allowed in Sweden, coz if you buy something for someone else and then give it away to them, then you don't actually own it anymore. Was an article in the news some years back where some parent wrecked or sold his or her kid's bicycle or whatever and it actually went to court. I can't quite remember the details right now.

Oh, and psychotic means a break with reality.
Yeah I know, but I'm not a medical doctor and neither are you I think; I meant it in the colloquial sense, where you mean a person where just some of their fuses are burnt and not most/all of them.

I'd just set her status to "taking time to think about things," change her password and start talking with or without a therapist.
Yeah, that's what a rational person would do, which is exactly my whole point! ;)

Please don't pull the thread into gamervivek regions, it's not going to end well, with a derailing at best.

The gender is not the issue here and if you please, ignore my postscriptum if you find it sexist, whatever. The issue is, an idiot uses a gun to educate a child and isn't ashamed to tell the whole world about it. While the child obviously has some kind of issues, what can be result of such kind of attention it recieves from the father? We obviously don't know the whole story and background, wheter "more traditional" education methods worked or not... still using a gun is... wrong. Just... wrong.

Oh, please don't get me wrong, if it's real then the guy's an idiot and a crappy father (though there are infinitely worse fathers so maybe his just "below average"). I might let my daughter shoot her own laptop (assuming she had a good reason), but as far as I'm concerned his whole schtick is an insecure-I-have-a-tiny-penis-and-need-to-compensate maneuver.

Back