PSP v.2.81 is here

hupfinsgack, you really got me i'm sitting here wondering who might be those interested given that

* there are no duos > 4GB available at the market atm.
* the security patch is to keep you from running homebrew, not to save you from external intrusions.

; )

hupfinsgack, you really got me i'm sitting here wondering who might be those interested given that

* the security patch is to keep you from running homebrew, not to save you from external intrusions.

; )

:LOL: Yeah, I know, that's why I said for those interested. :LOL: There's probably no need for updating at the moment...

The corruption also happened with 4GB MS from time to time I believe, but I am not sure...

; )
I wonder what it is Sony feels so threatened about with regards to homebrew on PSP. Is it that they feel people who run homebrew wouldn't buy games, and instead only get a console that at best brings minimal profits to Sony (if not an outright loss; I dunno what build costs could be for that thing today)? It sure seems that way, though I don't know how accurate it could be.

I would be considerably more interested in splurging for a PSP if I could use it as a homebrew platform; the locks in NDS on the other hand are very easy to circumvent in comparison but needs special hardware that costs money... An unlocked PSP would only need a memory stick, which you'd need anyhow to save games and store media on etc.

I wonder what it is Sony feels so threatened about with regards to homebrew on PSP. Is it that they feel people who run homebrew wouldn't buy games, and instead only get a console that at best brings minimal profits to Sony (if not an outright loss; I dunno what build costs could be for that thing today)?

that, and people pirating their content.

now, given that the latter is directly addressable via a firmware secure enough that it could run unsigned code with no dire consequences whatsoever, and the fact that sony do not seem to do anything in this reagard but instead stay focused on shutting down homebrew per se, i'd say that the former reason is equally valid, if not the leading one.

I would be considerably more interested in splurging for a PSP if I could use it as a homebrew platform; the locks in NDS on the other hand are very easy to circumvent in comparison but needs special hardware that costs money... An unlocked PSP would only need a memory stick, which you'd need anyhow to save games and store media on etc.

in my eyes, psp is the definitive homebrew platform (bar sony's efforts) - a consolidated, standartized environment (no 3rd-party storage devices zoo, pass-me's and what not), feature-rich and allowing self-hosted development (i personally use lua for that). if you decided to get one, you're homebrew-safe as long as you get a fw version <= 2.71 - those versions allow a downgrade to the homebew-definitive fw1.5. fw2.80 allows some homebrew, but not fw downgrading. and fw 2.81 is sony's current party pooper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes there are (they just started trickling out). Also it's really just an addressing fix, so those of you who like to do HDD hacks can make full use of 4GB+ HDDs...

Yes there are (they just started trickling out). Also it's really just an addressing fix, so those of you who like to do HDD hacks can make full use of 4GB+ HDDs...

ok, nice to know that. when can we expect to see them in stores?

re the actual addressing fix - i do hope it's retrofittable to the respective fw1.5 prx : )

Psp

Hi. Just bought a PSP v 2.81 for my brother, and frankly i dont know anything about PSP.
Was wondering if I could download games,movies,mp3 etc. now? or is it still impossible?

Games - yes, some PS1 games ($5.99 each) and some playable demos of PSP games (free) can be downloaded. Sadly, for the PS1 games you still need a PS3 to access the store, will be changed in the future.

MP3 is no problem at all (along with other popular music formats), just put them on the Stick in the music folder, videos can be played in the video folder, MP4 only (AVC preferrably) witch certain restrictions. To be save, use a video converter that "knows" the PSP.

Alternativly, you can wait until 2.81 is downgradable (2.80 is) and then choose to join the dark side, but i won't help you on that. :p

Hi. Just bought a PSP v 2.81 for my brother, and frankly i dont know anything about PSP.
Was wondering if I could download games,movies,mp3 etc. now? or is it still impossible?

Yep, you can do all these things. A good place to start is by hooking up your PSP to your PC through USB and then going to the www.yourpsp.com website. Signup for an account there and login. Now you can download several game demos, to start with, as well as some movies and mp3s.

If you want to copy your own MP3s or Photos etc, copy them to the PSP in the MUSIC or PHOTO folders respectively.

Movies have to be in a certain size for the PSP. Some websites already have converted their videos for the PSP and/or iPod (both are ok), which you can use. There are also programs available to convert your DVDs to a format that the PSP can read.

You may like to go to http://pspupdates.qj.com for more information, as well as visit the forums there.

Back