PSN weekly updates

^ You can share PS+ on 2 ps3's and Vitas, but will work on only one ps4 unless one of the guy's plays on the very account that holds the ps+ subscription.

I am buying FUSE, its only $10 on psn (EU summer sale) and I really enjoyed the demo in co-op.

Sony messed up the pre-order process for Hohokum.

I pre-ordered this a week or so ago via the SEN store as that's the only way to fund via PayPal (wanted the PS+ discount). After doing so I noticed on my PS4 that I had two different timers for the game - one under "My Library" that said said it unlocked earlier than the one that showed directly on the game if you clicked through to it. Last night at 9PM I got a pop-up on my PS4 saying the game was playable but in fact it was not and as of this writing still is not though it is supposed to unlock at 10AM this morning.

I'm not the only one apparently:

http://community.us.playstation.com...-order-not-showing-up-correctly/td-p/44196490

I tried chatting with Sony support last night to sort out what was up with the pre-order but was told things like "Talk to your country" and after clarifying I was in Canada, that I should not "use the website to make purchases". Yes, Sony support actually told me not buy things on their website.

Cheers

This may be a daft question, but what's the point in pre-ordering a digital download if you can just go online the second it comes out, purchase it and download it (instead of, I assume, automatically)?

The main reason to pre-order anything is because there are only finite amount of copies to be sold, so you want to be put on a waiting list in the hope you'll be among the first batch. With digital downloads though, there is no such thing as finite copies - they are virtually infinite... so why pre-order?

It'll preload so it's ready without needing to download the second it's available. Also, I guess, a popular title could have slow downloads on launch with everyone trying to get it at the same time, so it may be a long wait. In terms of hours, which might not be that long in reality, but if you don't want to miss one day of playing from release, preordering is the way to go (and hope the game lives up to your expectations!).

Ah, I see. Didn't think about that. Guess I'm fortunate enough to have a very quick internet connection. In fact, I just downloaded The Last of Us yesterday and was surprised to see that PSN (at least here) sustains around 70Mbps of bandwidth (back on the PS3, the max I used to get was 20Mbps). The game only needed to download a relative small portion of the whole download for me to beginn playing, so I only had to wait about 15 minutes to start. :D

This may be a daft question, but what's the point in pre-ordering a digital download if you can just go online the second it comes out, purchase it and download it (instead of, I assume, automatically)?

The main reason to pre-order anything is because there are only finite amount of copies to be sold, so you want to be put on a waiting list in the hope you'll be among the first batch. With digital downloads though, there is no such thing as finite copies - they are virtually infinite... so why pre-order?

An excellent question, and one that I hope many people ask themselves. That said, in addition to Shifty's stated reasons, the "PLAY 2014" promotion gave a 20% discount (PS+ only I think?) specifically for pre-ordering any of those 4 digital only releases, along with a small PSN credit (depending on how many you pre-ordered) and pre-load support. That's something I can get behind (in stark contrast to pre-order "bonuses"). Those 4 titles are all also Cross-Buy (and support Cross-Save) to some extent.

Ah, I see. Didn't think about that. Guess I'm fortunate enough to have a very quick internet connection. In fact, I just downloaded The Last of Us yesterday and was surprised to see that PSN (at least here) sustains around 70Mbps of bandwidth (back on the PS3, the max I used to get was 20Mbps). The game only needed to download a relative small portion of the whole download for me to beginn playing, so I only had to wait about 15 minutes to start. :D

I got it on Blu-ray, it was ready to play after about a minute :) but that's cool. Enjoy your little copper wires :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

:p

You know what? I've gone completely digital this generation so far - and at this point, I'll either have to start deleting games (as I think I've already filled a substantial amount of my harddrive) or need to think about upgrading to a larger hdd.

I *should have* bought TLoU as a physical copy though - as it's a game I don't really mind getting up for and will hardly play it much beyond the single player experience. In the end, simply having to click a few buttons far outweighed stopping by at a retail store. The games I usually play online (BF4, CoD etc) are great to have digital though - no getting up to swap games or anything. Huge convinience factor.

Makes me wonder how much the software sales have tilted from retailers to DD this generation. I would think it's substantial.

Also, now that I think about it - I just realized that I never even used the disc drive on my PS4 yet. I have no idea if it even works! :oops:

:p

You know what? I've gone completely digital this generation so far - and at this point, I'll either have to start deleting games (as I think I've already filled a substantial amount of my harddrive) or need to think about upgrading to a larger hdd.

I was kidding :D I'm the same. Almost. With the exception of Killzone Shadow Fall and BF4 at launch (lack of trust in PSN on launch day), The Last of Us is the only PS4 game I've bought on Blu-ray and that was because, even with a 1Tb HDD, I'm being cautious about HDD space. So anything breaking 30Gb will probably be a Blu-ray purchase for me. Everything else I've bought digitally: Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Infamous Second Son, Tomb Raider, Thief, Assassin's Creed 4, Watch_Dogs and a whole bunch of indie titles, were all digital purchases.

That and The Last of Us is the kind of game I'll get the urge to suddenly play every 2-3 months and don't want to download that bugger on my slow ass ADSL line and have to wait 6 hours to play! :nope:

It's because you're an impatient sucker and the poor, poor industry has successfully guilt-tripped you into support-us-no-questions-asked mode.

I bought Hohokum a week ago. I guess I'm not twee enough to get what all the fuss is about. I just think it's boring.

Minecraft PS4 is supposed to be released in NA today. I think it was released yesterday in other territories. I'm looking forward to this version and its only a $5 upgrade.

It has the 4 player split-screen, which is good, and indeed good draw-distances and very smooth. The kids will probably like that, especially as you can use the Vita as a third controller, so that's a nice boost!

I also downloaded the new Pool game this week - it's made by the Hustle Kings guys, and it's cheap but very good and smooth to play, did a bit of 'career' already. Also just downloaded Joe Danger, Velocity X2 and TxK for free (Playstation Plus) on Vita.

If I play anything by myself at the moment, it's mostly Diablo and Zen Pinball is really great still, keeps getting new tables, the amount of tables for that is amazing now.

Also got a new HDMI CEC comliant amp, which meant that I could plausibly play Rockband 3 et al again. I have just about every instrument available for that thing as well as the MIDI connector for keyboards, etc. and it's been great to reconnect that again now with my minimised lag setup. I did the manual setup thing and got 15ms for video lag, which is by far the best I've gotten so far and pretty much exactly according to specs of my TV, so that's great. The audio lag is 50ms, which I'm not sure if that's good or bad (seems like it could be better but HDMI always hasn't been perfect I think), but it's good enough. I should probably check the Dolby Surround settings, with this setup may actually be beneficial.

Minecraft PS4 is supposed to be released in NA today. I think it was released yesterday in other territories. I'm looking forward to this version and its only a $5 upgrade.

I can't play Minecraft because my son is addicted to it. We are clamping down his gaming time.

Finally started TLoU on PS4 a couple of days ago.

Yeah, seems quite nice. I downloaded it before the holiday and kid had some fun with the creative mode (monsters scare him).

Today I discovered a media streaming app for the Vita (doesn't seem that great, but who knows), and a version of the Live from Playstation App that's also on PS4. This app is really good, quality of the streaming is great.

Back