PS5 Pro *spawn

Potentially yeah, but no way around that other than to widen the APU's bus - then you've likely overshot your price target. I always felt the most "out there" rumour was the 320bit bus variant because of this.

In theory it seems like you could clamshell 1 (or even 2) memory chip(s) and reserve that slower segment only for the OS/system. This would effectively add 2+ GB (not sure off hand how much the PS5 reserves for the OS) for games.

In theory it seems like you could clamshell 1 (or even 2) memory chip(s) and reserve that slower segment only for the OS/system. This would effectively add 2+ GB (not sure off hand how much the PS5 reserves for the OS) for games.

They could expand the 1GB DDR4/5 pool to 4GB and move most of the the OS to the DDR4/DDR5 pool. PS5 reserves 3.5GBs for the OS. I would recommend moving 3GB over to the DDR4/5 pool.

Can Sony match XeSS XMX quality?
This will be very interesting to watch. ML capabilities (and PSSR) is really the best specs out of PS5 Pro IMO. My main complaint right now is not resolution or framerate on PS5. It's the damn ugly 'industry standard' FSR2 spoiling everything!

"2x-4x RT performance"

Getting pretty saucy in here.

You've been thinking about my post for 7 months? Anyway, 2-3x with 4x on the outside wouldn't be enough to "decimate the 7900XTX". The PS5 is essentially a 6600XT and in the below multi-game RT performance comparison the XTX is over 5x faster at 4k on average.

Granted 4K is not an ideal scenario for the 6600XT but we're still looking at close to 3x faster even at 1080p on average.

And then in non-RT performance the 7900XTX is comfortably 150% faster than the the closest PC equivalents to the PS5 which is clearly a lot more than the reported 45% of the PS5 Pro.

It's also worth noting that the Pro's contemporary in the PC space will not be RDNA3 based, but RDNA4 based which will likely be sporting the same or improved RT capabilities to the PS5P. If baseline PS5P performance is in the 7700XT range excluding RT improvements, then we can expect it to be in the 8600XT - 8700 non-XT range in both raster and RT terms when it launches. Basically in line with the PS5 compared to RDNA2 when it launched.

1710576334134.png

The difference is rdna 2 ray tracing was crap.. and rdna 3 is ampere level so 4x in certain situations is a guarantee
Rdna 3 is not ampere level in ray tracing, not even close. The hardware acceleration just isn't there. PS5 pro probably has hardware that accelerate some steps in the pipeline, and it's probably on ampere level. That would explain those 2-4x multiplayers in the documents.

Rdna 3 is not ampere level in ray tracing, not even close. The hardware acceleration just isn't there. PS5 pro probably has hardware that accelerate some steps in the pipeline, and it's probably on ampere level. That would explain those 2-4x multiplayers in the documents.

+1

I like how the PS5 Pro sounds more like a real new generation than the PS5. It was clear that going with RDNA 2 and basically nothing for DL and Raytracing was a mistake but the PS5 Pro will create a problem for Sony which i find very interessting. Having games looking and running much better than the PS5 will have a huge impact on the existing PS5 customer base.

Also it's multipliers, not multiplayers :no:

I like how the PS5 Pro sounds more like a real new generation than the PS5. It was clear that going with RDNA 2 and basically nothing for DL and Raytracing was a mistake but the PS5 Pro will create a problem for Sony which i find very interessting. Having games looking and running much better than the PS5 will have a huge impact on the existing PS5 customer base.
I think that amd, Microsoft and Sony just got caught off guard by Nvidia. The timing isn't coincidental either, in september 2018 RDNA 2 was almost finished, so AMD added a barebones implementation of ray tracing, stalling for time while working on better implementations of rt and upscaling. This is all speculation, but maybe it's not so far from the truth :censored:

But this is a problem when companies only working with one IP holder instead of continuously researching the competition.

Another fascinating development will be UE5. This engine is a product of the PS5 and RDNA2. No real support for hardware RT and DL. With Sony breaking out of this world Epic has to decide if they will ignoring PS5 Pro like nVidia or actually starting to make a proper next-gen engine.

I will say, if Sony can pull off AI-based reconstruction well, it's going to embarrass Microsoft further, who touted their AI advantages for the new Xbox consoles, including for the purposes of upscaling resolution, and then never actually delivered on it whatsoever.

I do wonder how much tech is often shared between Sony's divisions sometimes, especially as it relates to their biggest selling product (PlayStation). Sony's new TV image AI upscaling is really impressive. I seen some recent 720p content scaled nicely to 4K and 8K on one of their latest or upcoming AI-based models, and it looked stunning. No telltale signs of low resolution assets being upscaled or having imagery breakup.

Anyhow, we shall see.

Last edited:
I will say, if Sony can pull off AI-based reconstruction well, it's going to embarrass Microsoft further, who touted their AI advantages for the new Xbox consoles, including for the purposes of upscaling resolution, and then never actually delivered on it whatsoever.

I dont think the ML performance on the chip was ever there..

If I recall correctly MS already had tech demo's using DirectML for upscaling in games around 2018.

What happened within MS/Xbox (ATG) that they still don't have their own solution.

What I m curious is how Sony will market it. It was easier to market a PS4 Pro as it is easier to understand 1080p to 4K upgrade.
But now what are they going to market? Consistent 4K? Consistent framerates? Real 4K implying PS5 is not a true 4K?

Back