PS4 / DS4 controller related lag / latency issues

Unrelated to the topic itself but related to latency, as far as I know (based on the test results I've seen) PS4 games have higher input latency than Xbox One. This difference can be anything from a couple of ms to as much as 15ms.

you are actually the only person on the whole internet who is claiming this. please contact Sony because the engineers don't know it themselves

dude! may i know your inside contact on Sony?

So i can directly tell them, and hopefully got some recognition, and got hooked to some job there. You see, I'm currently unemployed and still job hunting (or scholarship hunting), your help means the world to me.

Unrelated to the topic itself but related to latency, as far as I know (based on the test results I've seen) PS4 games have higher input latency than Xbox One. This difference can be anything from a couple of ms to as much as 15ms.

maybe because its using standard bluetooth and simulatenously stream 2-way lag-free high quality audio? my audiophile friend even got surprised like.. his eyes were WIDE OPEN

when i told him he can listen wirelessly through DS4. he plugged his trusty headphone to DS4 (with that annoying look). BAM! his eyes wide open and keeps talking how awesome this is. No lag, pristine audio quality.

btw, xbox one also laggier than x360 according to The rise of tomb raider.

Just call them like I did a year ago, I got a call back from a technical support person claiming the engineers said the connection to the PS4 under gameplay/normal operation is only possible through the wireless connection.

But of course those people could be wrong. I mean, they worked on it, but when an engineer works really hard then he or she can make mistakes. Maybe they enabled it by accident? It's all possible. So again, call them, explain your test method so they can confirm it. Maybe they will have a job for you and you won't be unemployed anymore!

Just call them like I did a year ago, I got a call back from a technical support person claiming the engineers said the connection to the PS4 under gameplay/normal operation is only possible through the wireless connection.
Support like that on a phone call is generally rubbish. The people you talk to are only there to deal with super simple 'tech' support, like how to plug the console in. Anything more advanced and off script and they've often no idea what they're doing. So Iwouldn't consider that completely reliable info. It'll take someone testing the USB comms to confirm this. However, you have to wonder why did Sony bother putting USB operation in the controller if they weren't going to use it? Just for development purposes? I suppose that could be it. Perhaps the controllers are capable of USB operation but Sony force bluetooth operation always?

Usb is often an attack vector, maybe that's the reason? The DS4 controllers btw are 100% capable of USB operation, in fact; you can play PS4 and PC at the same time when you connect your PS4 controller to a PC while synched to a PS4.

Just hook a DS4 up to a PC without bluetooth. It works. End of story. So yes, to reiterate: DS4 does support USB communication. Again: end of story. No "proof" or "links" needed. It works. End of story.

The problem lies within the context of this topic: Latency issues with the DS4 controller. The PC test might prove that the DS4 is capable of communicating with other devices over USB, but the important and only relevant question to this topic here is if the DS4 also does that when hooked up via USB to the PS4 or if it still uses the Bluetooth transmitter.

When I had my issues back then and did a bit of research, it was my impression too that for some odd reason, Bluetooth is always used, even if a USB cable is connected.

Anyway, I never had any issues again. Then again, I'm fairly certain my problems were always only in combination with prolonged gaming AND the use of the headset (through the DS4 controller). It never resurfaced, so no idea if it was solved or if I was having some other issues back then.

Plug ds4 via USB to pc.

It works without Bluetooth.

On ps4, you can easily test it by doing voice chat.

If its randomly cut out = on wireless (just make sure to put a bunch of wireless WiFi near it, one cheap Chinese Bluetooth speaker and do some cooking with microwave)
If it's pristine perfect = on cable

To be clear, when you connect ds4 via USB to ps4, it doesn't always use usb. Dunno why.

Sometime I will get that audio cutout even when on usb. Replugging it do the trick though.

Buggy software?

Okay that sounds like a valid deduction! I'm convinced now.

I don't want to be rude, but let's be real: you guys don't have any proof regarding the DS4 being able to operate with PS4 in a wired ( non-bluetooth) fashion, is that correct?

The first time you connect a DS4 to a PS4, the handshake is done by connecting through USB.

I've stuck this guy on ignore. What an attitude - everything I say you should accept without question, anything anybody else says must be backed up with proof.

Devkits or PS4's in development mode actually have the ability to be controlled through usb, bypassing the wireless connection. When you control the PS4 during the handshake procedure it's accepting inputs through USB as well. I wonder why they disable it during normal operation and or gameplay; but we will probably never know: the internet is full of people claiming things which are not true, thus you can almost never find any information. If a conflicting statement is backed by a source, you know it's true. If there is no source, then, it's most probably wishful thinking.

it was my impression too that for some odd reason, Bluetooth is always used, even if a USB cable is connected.
If that is indeed the case, I would assume it is to reduce the risk of discontinuity and/or double presses of buttons should the USB cable become dislodged during gameplay... *shrug* Who knows? :p

What can I use to block Bluetooth?

Does putting ds4 inside a microwave should block it?

I want to try my experiment with ds4 again, this time recorded. But too lazy to set up the routers again and charge the Bluetooth speaker.

Edit: I guess I'll just try it myself lol. After I cake back from bank, hopefully not lots of queue

If you run the experiment like this:
1 have DS4 connected to speaker and USB-PS4, while playing audio
2 close the microwave lid
3 let music play for a minute
4 disconnect cable from PS4

The music will stop playing, correct?

Back