PS4 and XB1 Slimification comparison *spawn

HDR perhaps?
How would the Xbox One S add HDR information to an input stream that lacks it? Surely if it was that easy, HDR TV's would just apply HDR it to any input.

My understanding of HDR TVs is on par with your average chicken. :yep2:

Trying to get an idea of how big a new, slapped in video decoder block might be, but can't find anything useful.

On top of all Kinect and HDMI passthrough / overlay stuff, X1 is probably carrying a lot of extra bulk now that has absolutely nothing to do with the 32 MB esram pool. I never was sure what that extra chunk of esram and associated logic was for.

Can the S do passthrough / overlay on 4K through its HDMI in, or has it more sensibly stuck to 1080?
I would think that the VPU is most optimized part (size and power) of the design as it comes most likely straight from AMD last generation of hardware contrary to the older IPs that have been ported to 14/16nm process.
I suspect the sound processing unit might not be that optimized. I also wonder if contrary to xb1/ps4 the gddr5 memory controllers of the PS4s could have seen more optimizations (size and power) than the DDR ones the Xbox uses as AMD have such part available on shipping product on the node used.

PS4 supports HDR now also through software update. No games have been updated to support it though, so not known if anything you do on PS4 can be displayed in HDR yet.

PS4 supports HDR now also through software update. No games have been updated to support it though, so not known if anything you do on PS4 can be displayed in HDR yet.
I would guess most games with a patch for PS4 Pro should also support HDR on PS4. The game testing is probably done for both and we should see them appear at the PS4 Pro launch?

Yep, that's the theory ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IHS had a BOM for the xb1 slim and they ended up at $324 for the 2TB.

The latest 28nm SoC was $76
The new 16nm SoC is... $99 :runaway:

It's the silicon apocalypse! Mass hysteria! Xbox fans and playstation fans sleeping together!

They gave $88 for the sum of both the 2TB HDD + ODD. I'm guessing... single platter two heads have always been around 35-40, with older technology a little less. Additional platter usually $7 to $10 more.

$30 for 500GB (older tech with agressive procurement)
$37 for 1TB (single platter)
$46 for 2TB (two platters)

Leaving $42 for a UHD enabled ODD?

IHS had a BOM for the xb1 slim and they ended up at $324 for the 2TB.

Here's the link.

They explain the increase in the SoC cost estimate as being due to initially lower yields and expect that, "As the production of this device matures, and as yields rise, we can expect commensurate cost erosion,”

Also, they put the cost of the UHD BD-ROM at $33.50 vs. $18 for a standard BD-ROM.

Here's the link.

They explain the increase in the SoC cost estimate as being due to initially lower yields and expect that, "As the production of this device matures, and as yields rise, we can expect commensurate cost erosion,”

Also, they put the cost of the UHD BD-ROM at $33.50 vs. $18 for a standard BD-ROM.
Thanks, always go to the source :LOL:

Back