PS3 Strategy/Confidence Retrospective

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. They were only released in limited editions. Plus PS2 was still around in the transition where white wasn't vogue. A sales spike could be expected for any niche colour, but that won't tell you if you coloured your default unit differently if you'd get more attention.

I dunno. They were only released in limited editions. Plus PS2 was still around in the transition where white wasn't vogue. A sales spike could be expected for any niche colour, but that won't tell you if you coloured your default unit differently if you'd get more attention.

True..

Also the black 360's been selling alright hasn't it?

That is a huge assumption at this point. It was one I openly agreed with over a year ago, but as it stands right now Blu-ray isn't in a position to outright beat HD DVD let alone be crowned the heir to DVD.

HD display adoption has grown but is still a minority of the market and DVD player sales are still massive. HD DVD has also made a major play over the last couple months--first with the Paramount and Dreamworks defections, and now hitting the value market at $198 at Walmart.

On a totally different tangent (nothing to do with Nesh) is I have owned a PlayStation, never owned an Xbox, have not purchased an Xbox 360, have lamented Halo's gameplay mechanics as "old school" which I don't prefer at all, have never received anything free from Sony/MS/Nintendo/ATI/Nvidia/Intel/AMD, and am a full-time student working in a factory of all places. My opinions aren't always right, but my Blu-ray comments aren't because I work for MS (that would pay much, much better!). Whether every point is of equal value, the bottom-line is that the PS3 has failed to generate the marketshare expected by most analysts (and PS1/PS2 market expectations) and much of this has to do with delays and cost inflation related to Blu-ray.

There is no arguement against the fact Blu-ray adoption has been relatively slow and that a PS3 launched at $200 cheaper ($299/$399) in 2006 without Blu-ray would be doing significantly better in console marketshare than it has to this point, especially in the light of RROD by the competition, than the PS3 is doing right now. Blu-ray hasn't been a major catalyst for PS3 sales and makes the machine significantly more expensive to manufacture which inturn inflates the retail price. And my general point has been I see no reason, especially in the face of MS's RROD, that Sony could not have created a Cell based console that could be well on pace to repeat the PS2's success. Blu-ray isn't completely to blame, but it is a factor.

I am sorry and I beg your pardon Joshua Luna, I did not intend to make unsubstantiated claims about your position in the argument and I admit to at the time I was typing my reply to your post, to being rather tired after a long day of reading and as a result I ended up posting that last paragraph without properly thinking about it as I always try to.

Anyways I hope to continue to talk or debate our points so I will get to that now.

I understand what you are talking about and I myself hold no bias, or at least I try to but we are talking about video game consoles and the transition that they went through specially in the 1990s as certain companies braved into a new storage medium, not just as a way of gaining more storage but as a way of cutting costs down.

NEC and Sega made their attempts, I know and understand that as Shifty Geezer said they were never mainstream devices as fact, I mean after all the Sega Genesis and more so the Super Nintendo was at that time the mainstream in videogames while CD media was being used else where mainly for music.

One of my points in saying that "we should not forget" had to do with that even though years later Sony and Sega released their CD based consoles there were at least 5 previous attempts and they matter because without those attempts Sony would never have been able to release their PS1 and Sega would have released a cartridge based console follow up to the Genesis instead.

Another point is that needs to be taken into consideration is that specially back then prior to 1994, Nintendo dominated Japan most of the US afaik while Sega and NEC with their PC Engine/Turbo Graphix console were barely able to gain acceptance in sales, hence why those companies seemed to release these CD addons first and Nintendo took so long to do so resulting in them kind of forcing Sony to the console market unintentionally as it really was not in Sony's initial intention to do so.

The main purpose those CD addons and first failed stand alone CD consoles were made were to cut costs and again part of my other point that I would like to make is that as opposed to what we know now, Sony did not simply ride into success with Playstation 1, in fact it took them many years and competitor's mistakes (Sega) for them to get the sales and success.

I mean if we were having this argument back in 1996 we would not be able to really call Sony a riding success as Sega's Saturn was enjoying sales in Japan while Nintendo was still dominant with SNES and the N64 being just released.

Prior to PS2's arrival, videogame culture was very different, it was centered mainly in videogames, I know that the percentage of people who actually purchased videogame magazines was and is insignificant to the mainstream audience as I am sure some one will say but PS2 was a major factor in adding adoption of DVD as a format.

Sure, DVD players enjoyed sales in the millions but do you remember how it was when you went into stores back then? I used to go to several major malls in my area (New England states) and 1998, 1999, 2000 were pretty much the same, DVD held a small section while the rest of the stores was filled to the brim with VHS movies and DVD as a player and as movies were very expensive then.

Then in 2001 in the summer I started to notice the trend that DVD movie prices started to fall to acceptable levels, $20.00 USD, the release of Star Wars Episode I on DVD was nigh at or around that price level and I had yet to purchase a PS2 mainly because I refused to do so but I also was aware that videogame culture it self was also changing.

The people who were purchasing PS2s in 2000 and 2001 knew very well that the console can also be used as a movie player, you just don't go and spend $300 USD while being a gamer and not know what you are getting into, the DVD logo was all over the box and everybody was talking about it, those first 10 million or so, and lets just say specifically those millions in the USA in 2001 knew very well that they could purchase a DVD movie, rent a DVD movie or borrow from a friend, its true that we do not have an actual credible and reliable means to get data on this as the internet is subject to articles being twisted to the writters opinion on what numbers matter but we have to have a way of knowing what were the best selling DVD movie titles for that 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 period to notice that PS2 users must have really contributed to those DVD sales.

As I previously mentioned, many videogame magazines started to include DVD movie reviews and reccomendations, if you have any please do so but that counts as free advertising for a product that the videogame audience most likely were to also purchase, specially given the low number of inital worthwhile and quality videogame titles on the PS2's first two years.

I do admit though that with Blu Ray we are not going to see a surge in adoption or sales, then again very few video game magazines and video game sites even reccomend BR movie titles and then again maybe it does not matter since there is such an wide anti-Sony, anti-PS3, anti-Blu Ray sentiment on most of the internet (depending where you go) filled with strong idealistic opinions but Sony's plan cannot be disputed, they used the Blu Ray format as a replacement to DVD storage, we all know that video games take time to make, even the worst titles so at least we know that Sony's plan is strategically placed in years time, and the current 5 million world wide is not a bad start in your first year.

Does that mean that people are going to flock to buy BR movies, I don't think so, as a matter of fact, whats the ration of people who buy full screen DVD as opposed to wide screen DVD titles? and HDTVs are still far from being mainstream so that again will take time, I still have my old 27" Sony Trinitron I purchased in 1996 and just don't feel compelled to go into HDTVs even though I am a wide screen addict when it comes to my movies, my PC monitor is still CRT, though at least its a 21" HP workstation monitor I purchased from a PC warehouse

Also the reliance of Downloadable content, or Digital Distribution in your argument can be countered by the main reason a magazine or a group of Consumer Reports exists. This Digital Distribution content (DDC) has alot of major potential problems

1) It has to be stored, where else but in a Hard Drive and we all know how reliable a HDD is compared to a VHS, CD, DVD, BR, HD-DVD and even Laser Disc.

2) Usage rights, what do you think will happen when a customer is forced to only use and or rely on that one device to view their content?

3) Not portable to other devices and or places, ie, lets go to a (insert person of interest here)'s house and watch our DDC

4) Will you have enough space to store your DDC?

5) Will you actually Delete your DDC as a way generate new space?

6) The same problems can apply if we take videogames into the equation.

There are more things I could say but thats it for now I don't want to make this post any longer, but just think that now it really does seem like Blu Ray is not such a good idea as opposed to DVD, the PS3 however is using the format as a storage medium for videogames that will take time to arrive. Microsoft decided against using HD DVD as a videogame storage format and they are intent on Digital Distribution Content, the problem with that is that their base console does not include a HDD, the one that actually does include it is limited to 20GB and the one that offers the most space in 120GB is priced too close to the PS3.

What it all comes down to it is that its possible a new Microsoft console will be needed, with a much bigger hard drive so that people can store all their games and movies in the DDC format, after all people are not made of money and they will have to choose, but customer backlash against a faulty product or one that fails is not something to mess around with.

Also I don't see how one could put it down to cultural differences considering american consumers are lapping up the Wii (faster than the 360) nearly as fast as they did the PS2..

I don´t know what meaning you put in culural differences, to me it could be anything from the available games, the color, the size, the style of the console or the ad campaigns etc. that have failed to attract American consumers in large numbers.

But a lot may very well boil down to a price issue, I remember the outrage when the price was announced at E3-05. An investigation is warranted. ;)

Sure, DVD players enjoyed sales in the millions but do you remember how it was when you went into stores back then? I used to go to several major malls in my area (New England states) and 1998, 1999, 2000 were pretty much the same, DVD held a small section while the rest of the stores was filled to the brim with VHS movies and DVD as a player and as movies were very expensive then

I remember the first holiday after the PS2 was launched in North America.

Everyone wanted a DVD player, it was the hot ticket item. But they were like $300+.

The fact PS2 doubled as a DVD player was considered a huge added value, because it was essentially killing two birds with one stone.

But, even if the PS2 was not there, DVD was still the hot ticket item that holiday, and everyone and their moms wanted one...

If you want to see it being used - 1st/2nd party games or exclusives are the answer. This game (Uncharted) is one of them and more will follow.

That's why I said this will be one of the titles I'll be following closely.

You simply won't find a black or white answer where there isn't one.

Couldn't agree more.

Am i reading that right, the Motherboard layout for the 40GB White and 40GB Black isn´t the same?

Most likely the case.

The PS3 60GB, 20GB and 80GB and manufactured by AsusTek, the 40GB black model is fabbed by Foxconn, the White model I don't know yet but it could also be a new revision by AsusTek.

I remember the first holiday after the PS2 was launched in North America.

Everyone wanted a DVD player, it was the hot ticket item. But they were like $300+.

The fact PS2 doubled as a DVD player was considered a huge added value, because it was essentially killing two birds with one stone.

But, even if the PS2 was not there, DVD was still the hot ticket item that holiday, and everyone and their moms wanted one...

What I wonder is if PS2 was not there like you said, would people back then have had $300+ DVD movie players in their rooms, after all movies are not something you can dedicate 6+ hour sessions, after all one of the things I can see that was a kind of trojan horse was that the PS2 was used by some gamers as a way of sneaking into their homes, their bedrooms, accessing other forms of DVD entertainment since a DVD disc was less bulky than a VHS, easier to hide...

Girls Gone Wild was a good start, I'm sure others went higher

I think some people are going to be surprised in a couple months.

Price sensitivity is not the sole reason for the PS3 failing in the U.S., Sony's PR has been horrible. At launch the console was seen in a negative light, as the thing you heard about other than the ridiculous price were the shooting, stabbing and fights at launch lines. These were not common events, but they happened, and the media ran with it, and it became the water cooler talk. For the most part, that is the last major media coverage the PS3 got. Although I guess technically we could also include the negative HD-DVD vs. BluRay segments, which almost always told people to avoid the optical HDM formats.

PS3 had a killer game at launch, but Sony didn't push that game too hard, and instead still seemed to focus on KZ2 and the future. The first price drop came some 8 months after release, yet still the must have title was the same at launch (which Sony still seems to want to push KZ2 more than), and the price 'drop' was to a price point that previously existed on a then cancelled SKU. The cost of entry was essentially unchanged. The two big potential must have games of summer came and went, one being an above average game, the other a subpar game not worthy of a tenth the hype it had.

A couple months later, now there is another great game out, but it's advertising budget must be a small portion of what the horrible game Lair got. Sony is going to drop the price again, but only by gimping the one major feature of the PS3 that the millions of PS2 owners would want, compatibility. If you think it doesn't matter to anyone, you obviously haven't seen the amount of PS2 trade-ins for PS3's in the last year.

I don't think PS3 has hit the bottom yet, the price drop will temporarily raise sales, followed by a steep decline. Sony needs to come out with MGS, GT, Final Fantasy, along with multiplatform titles that match or exceed what is available on other consoles. I think Sony's up for it, but it's a long, hard road, and a price drop is only one small factor to them turning it around.

This did not happen because the U.S. is price sensitive, it happened because Sony decided to focus on a vision that profited their CE and studio sides at the expense of what console owners would want... games. Even when Sony has great games (and they have two great exclusives), they don't push them hard enough.

Without buzz and distinct value compared to the competition, Sony will have to do continuous promotion to ramp up the numbers. This is to be expected. The picture may change as more exclusive games become available _and_ Sony forge a separate path/value relevant to gamers or the mass.

Interesting point about what I presume is R:FoM. As a game it covers both the ground of GeoW and Halo, offering a robust shooter with it's own style and take on the genre, 2 player coop and major online play. I don't understand why it wasn't valued more, but then I don't understand the FPS market anyway! Sony probably could have made more of that.
Sony is going to drop the price again, but only by gimping the one major feature of the PS3 that the millions of PS2 owners would want, compatibility. If you think it doesn't matter to anyone, you obviously haven't seen the amount of PS2 trade-ins for PS3's in the last year.
Only by gimping a feature? You do appreciate the other technological advances that are contributing great guns to the price-drop, right? As for PS2 trade-ins, if you can get £30 for your old PS2 and play next-gen games, why not trade it in regardless of what system you are buying? eg. Trade in your PS2 and get an XB360, even though XB360 doesn't offer you PS2 BC! I don't think there's any real measures on the value of BC, but I seriously doubt lack of PS2 BC will set PS3 sales back any notable amount at all, nor cause would-be PS3 buyers to choose a different platform. If you're buying a PS3, it's for the games, features, and services it has to offer now, and not because it plays the games you are already playing. Those who really value their PS2 can just keep it.

Contrary to my expectations, Resistance has turned out to be a quite successful game, selling about 2 millions copies (though that probably includes a lot of bundles). I thought that it will suffer the consequences of the PS3's lackluster initial sales, but it has triumphed ;) I only hope that Heavenly Sword will follow the same path.

Interesting point about what I presume is R:FoM. As a game it covers both the ground of GeoW and Halo, offering a robust shooter with it's own style and take on the genre, 2 player coop and major online play. I don't understand why it wasn't valued more, but then I don't understand the FPS market anyway!

Resistance:FoM has sold pretty much as well as could be expected considering the install base, without having reviewed near as well as GeoW or Halo3.

Interesting point about what I presume is R:FoM.

Yep, Sony has not given this game near the attention it deserves. The fact that it is successful only validates my point, Sony needs to push buying PS3s for the games they have now, not the games they might have next year.

but I seriously doubt lack of PS2 BC will set PS3 sales

It certainly doesn't help them. Gamestop ran a promotion $100 towards a PS3 with the trade in of a PS2, I know a couple of people that took advantage of that, and then bought GOW2 at the same time. I do think the lack of BC will generate some sales (for the few remaining 20GB and 60GB PS3s).

I appreciate cost cutting measures, but at a point you aren't helping yourself if you cut features people buy based off. I don't think it is going to be a major factor, but I also don't see people beating down doors for a $400 PS3. The removal of BC just shows the state of current Sony management. The biggest Playstation release for 2007 will not playable on the new PS3.

Very few teams/games can achieve that level of game play though. So Resistance would be the exception rather than the norm.

R&C is another great title. It's not as intense as Resistance, but the entire game world is practically made up of gameplay. After completing it, It dawned on me that the one IGN reviewer was right when he said "Play too much".

Every action from running, repairing, space travel to unlocking door is a game. It's like this giant world where living is playing and vice versa (Meanwhile, time flies). I hope R&C does better than Resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly doesn't help them. Gamestop ran a promotion $100 towards a PS3 with the trade in of a PS2, I know a couple of people that took advantage of that, and then bought GOW2 at the same time.
I can appreciate a willingness to buy into PS3 now because the PS2 title you're looking forwards to still runs on it. However, are there any upcoming PS2 titles that may discourage owners upgrading from? In my case I wouldn't get rid of my PS2 until I've played Rogue Galaxy, but that game just happens to be very late in the EU and even then has been out a while. GOW2, FF, and all the rest, are finished with on PS2. There's nothing exclusive to the platform that you can't get for PS3 (Madden, PES, etc.) so there's no reason to wait on PS2 any more.

I think some people are going to be surprised in a couple months.

Price sensitivity is not the sole reason for the PS3 failing in the U.S., Sony's PR has been horrible. At launch the console was seen in a negative light, as the thing you heard about other than the ridiculous price were the shooting, stabbing and fights at launch lines. These were not common events, but they happened, and the media ran with it, and it became the water cooler talk. For the most part, that is the last major media coverage the PS3 got. Although I guess technically we could also include the negative HD-DVD vs. BluRay segments, which almost always told people to avoid the optical HDM formats.

PS3 had a killer game at launch, but Sony didn't push that game too hard, and instead still seemed to focus on KZ2 and the future. The first price drop came some 8 months after release, yet still the must have title was the same at launch (which Sony still seems to want to push KZ2 more than), and the price 'drop' was to a price point that previously existed on a then cancelled SKU. The cost of entry was essentially unchanged. The two big potential must have games of summer came and went, one being an above average game, the other a subpar game not worthy of a tenth the hype it had.

A couple months later, now there is another great game out, but it's advertising budget must be a small portion of what the horrible game Lair got. Sony is going to drop the price again, but only by gimping the one major feature of the PS3 that the millions of PS2 owners would want, compatibility. If you think it doesn't matter to anyone, you obviously haven't seen the amount of PS2 trade-ins for PS3's in the last year.

I don't think PS3 has hit the bottom yet, the price drop will temporarily raise sales, followed by a steep decline. Sony needs to come out with MGS, GT, Final Fantasy, along with multiplatform titles that match or exceed what is available on other consoles. I think Sony's up for it, but it's a long, hard road, and a price drop is only one small factor to them turning it around.

This did not happen because the U.S. is price sensitive, it happened because Sony decided to focus on a vision that profited their CE and studio sides at the expense of what console owners would want... games. Even when Sony has great games (and they have two great exclusives), they don't push them hard enough.

The "shooting, stabbing and fight" events at launch were very interesting as to why they actually really happened, it seems like in the US a premiere on launch date for something can become a media circus but you gotta wonder why they really happened as the topic of the time was people going on Ebay to sell their console instead of actually using it, the media may have played a hand, I remember constantly hearing in the mainstream press about how the eargerly awaited PS3 was going to be ultimate gift that season, it was ridiculous to me as it was in its launch.

I did like your interesting opinion reguarding the game I also presume to Resistance Fall of Man however I feel that there were other factors that prevented Sony from capitalizing on that game alone the first of several is that its a first person shooter that reguardless of its quality was being unfairly or perhaps fairly compared to Halo hype among the hard core gamer circuits, not that the hard core gamer drives console sales but if they are dedicated, they can so basically I feel that those 2 million or so people who purchased Resistance FoM, purchased it with an open mind but I just don't think that the game, well based on what I know about it could really have sold as well had Sony invested a bigger budget into it.

Now I understand your point about Ratchet and Clank Future ToD, (funny coincidence that its the same developer eh) it remains to be seen just how Sony will advertise this game since it looks more like a kids title from the initial impression and the negative gaming press other Sony PS3 games so far released are getting combined with all of the anti Sony, anti PS3 sentiment being thrown around in the internet.

I feel that the main point Sony seems to be addressing this year is that they are building up their game library as opposed to the many so called complaints about "lack of games" and that they are also building up a more affordable price, by as much as they possibly can, hence the 40GB PS3 at $400 with all of the benefits the revisions done to it. Maybe these are more important points than just saying here is xxxx game, at least they are catering to their customers.

I myself finally was able to purchase a Playstation 3 last week not just because I had been holding out but because in my case I had other major expenses: car, root canal, etc that I was paying out of my pocket and still am so I ended up purchasing the 60GB model I would have otherwise purchased earlier this year for $600, instead I got it for $500.00 including Heavenly Sword and the Blu Ray remote free.

Otherwise were it not for the major RRoD and disc scratching problems I would have purchased an XBox 360 so I could finally chuck away my old XBox.

Even though I know of other friends who have PS3s they did not have Resistance at the time but that is a game I will be getting as Insomniac has won me over after I rented Ratchet and Clank Future, I had heard but ignored previous people (other friends) impressions on Resistance and I wrote it off as not possibly touching the quality in Halo or perhaps being too much of an immitation of course all side effects of mindshare as I had known that Insomniac Games did not previously make FPSs AFAIK.

Having said that, I am sure once I check out RFoM I will be looking forward to the sequel, in the mean time there is that other factor about MGS, GT5, and Final Fantasy coming out, all majorly awaited titles though I noticed that my purposely placing those games in early 2008 as opposed to the holiday season they are once again addressing any notion of a lack of games so even though I am sure they would love to rake in the cash, by placing those titles early next year it kind of guarrantees a constant presense of we have a new game every month.

Contrary to my expectations, Resistance has turned out to be a quite successful game, selling about 2 millions copies (though that probably includes a lot of bundles).

Dunno about the US, but over here in Europe it's been packed with almost every PS3 for a long time by a lot of retailers (including MediaMarkt).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back