[PS3] Resistance 3 [SPOILER ALERT - Contains R2 story discussion]

honestly speaking Capelli's much better than Hale as a character, if it were up to me I'd rather choose James Greyson form Resistance Retribution instead but since its not Insomniac's character all hopes can be laid to rest.

Hale and Capelli ended up on a different planet, or a future Earth with a chipped off moon. Capelli fired at Hale, who has become Chimeran-like. It's also possible that something else happened since we only heard the shot.

Reading all those mission briefings for the co-op missions in R2, they hint at the grey tech your being sent out to find, might be parts of a device that could be used to teleport large objects. Objects as big as even the size of the earth, which might explain why all those Chimeran towers were popping up out of the earth, and forming a grid around the entire planet.

That would let them keep the familiar earth setting, while at the same time combining it with a very alien setting. That's what I'm hoping they are going to take R3.

I would prefer Capelli over Hale for R3.
Hale will probably end up being the main villain anyway.
I feel they kinda broke Hale's character going from the almost silent protagonist in Rfom, to the strong leader type in R2. Capelli also seems more psychotic then most main characters, which might be interesting.

I have no preference between Hale and Capelli. I reckon, like Killzone, the enemy defines the game (Chimera heat mode ~ \^o^/).

I think it's a lot more interesting to keep Hale alive though. e.g., It's possible that Hale is imprisoned somewhere inside British/US base. Still hope to see say... Hale putting together a new monster from collected Chimeran parts. :p

I am also curious to see how Insomniac improve their co-op and competitive play.

Which suspiciously gives me the sinking feeling that this game was meant to be a Fall 2010 game, however like almost every game under the sun, from every publisher, on the planet, that isn't COD:Black Ops, and with the exception of a few brave folks (and very smart IMHO), it's likely that it could have been pushed to Jan 2011 to avoid the traditional fall/holiday rush... which this year now seems to be non-existant, leaving the beginning of 2011 looking seriously like a cluster****...

Anyhows, i cannot wait.... contrary to many i loved R2.... EVEN THE SP *gasp*

;-)

Maaaan there will only be COD this holiday season? Crap, I want something to play this autumn :)

I wouldn't try to take too much from either this teaser (which is just that, a teaser) and the end of R2. Trying to connect the pieces or build on it could be a waste of time.

That said, I think there are a few things we can speculate from the trailer. First is that you might be fighting along any human being you find, no longer moving only with SRPA units. Also, notice the pretty blatant St Louis reference (though the time frames don't match up).

Secondly, from the end of R2, it's never really clear
if the Chimera brought earth to another universe, or brought another planet / species to earth
. Trying to dig too much into that could be silly at this point :p

Hopefully they'll correct the grave mistakes they made in Resistance 2, and

- Do their own game, like they did with Resistance: Fall of Man, instead of trying to copy Call of Duty and Halo series.
- Prioritize the single player campaign, not the multiplayer modes.
- Bring back gunwheel, (vertically divided) split screen campaign, and the narrator.
- Return the series to more horror oriented direction.

Not going to happen, but one can hope.

Which suspiciously gives me the sinking feeling that this game was meant to be a Fall 2010 game, however like almost every game under the sun, from every publisher, on the planet, that isn't COD:Black Ops, and with the exception of a few brave folks (and very smart IMHO), it's likely that it could have been pushed to Jan 2011 to avoid the traditional fall/holiday rush... which this year now seems to be non-existant, leaving the beginning of 2011 looking seriously like a cluster****...

Anyhows, i cannot wait.... contrary to many i loved R2.... EVEN THE SP *gasp*

;-)
Same... I loved R2, and I can't wait for R3 -- even more so than KZ3.
I think Capelli as the protagonist and Hale as the enemy would make a great story. To me, it looks like they set it up that way, judging by the ending of R2 and the new trailer. Or, maybe they'll allow you to play as both sides (doubt it).

The lack of the weapon wheel wasn't the reason that made Resistance 2 bad, nor was the inclusion of the weapon wheel the reason that made Resistance 1 good. It has everything to do with the sandbox of Resistance 1 being decent and the sandbox of Resistance 2 being none-existent.

Halo series have a two weapon limit, but it has one of the best, if not the best, sandbox in fpses.

Resistance 3 needs to have a better designed sandbox, which anyone could write pages and pages on how to do so.

The lack of the weapon wheel wasn't the reason that made Resistance 2 bad, nor was the inclusion of the weapon wheel the reason that made Resistance 1 good.

I guess it depends on how you play the game. The weapon wheel is just a UI mechanism, but the ability to use a large collection of powerful weapons have been key to my enjoyment in RFOM.

Running around with the arsenal of weapons is fun because you can improvise the combat as you play. The level could be an open soccer field, and I could still try many different ways to attack and defend against an onslaught of enemies. :)

Stopping a rocket dead in its track when I pulled out an Auger and launched a shield in the nick of time is satisfying -- especially against another human player.

But, one of the problems is it takes time to balance the game with so many weapons in your bag at once. The campaign may become too easy (Yet, RFOM has its difficult moments).

If you play RFOM like a normal FPS, then perhaps you may not see the appeal of the "weapon wheel" approach.

It has everything to do with the sandbox of Resistance 1 being decent and the sandbox of Resistance 2 being none-existent.

Halo series have a two weapon limit, but it has one of the best, if not the best, sandbox in fpses.

... because Halo is not RFOM.

The environment can add to the entertainment by allowing me to try even more tactics (e.g., jump to first floor and attack the enemies from behind). That doesn't mean I cannot have more fun with RFOM's weapon wheel.

Resistance 3 needs to have a better designed sandbox, which anyone could write pages and pages on how to do so.

Yes, but I don't see a conflict with RFOM's style of gameplay. There are many nice things in RFOM IMHO, like the Chimeran heat mode, the party system, the pacing, the AI. It's rather refreshing to play RFOM after Halo 1 and 2. Yet it's also entertaining in a familiar way. That's all.

I guess it depends on how you play the game. The weapon wheel is just a UI mechanism, but the ability to use a large collection of powerful weapons have been key to my enjoyment in RFOM.

Running around with the arsenal of weapons is fun because you can improvise the combat as you play. The level could be an open soccer field, and I could still try many different ways to attack and defend against many enemies. :)

Stopping a rocket dead in its track when I pulled out an Auger and launched a shield in the nick of time is satisfying -- especially against another human player.

But, one of the problems is it takes time to balance the game with so many weapons in your bag at once. The campaign may become too easy (Yet, RFOM has its difficult moments).

If you play RFOM like a normal FPS, then perhaps you may not see the appeal of the "weapon wheel" approach.

... because Halo is not RFOM.

The environment can add to the entertainment by allowing me to try even more tactics (e.g., jump to first floor and attack the enemies from behind). That doesn't mean I cannot have more fun with RFOM's weapon wheel.

Yes, but I don't see a conflict with RFOM's style of gameplay. There are many nice things in RFOM IMHO, like the Chimeran heat mode, the party system, the pacing. It's rather refreshing to play RFOM after Halo 1 and 2. Yet it's also entertaining in a familiar way. That's all.

My point was that RFOM 2 destroyed the sandbox of RFOM 1, which might or might not be because of the lack of the weapon wheel.

R2 resetted RFOM at many different levels, not just level design.

Your original point stated more than you intended:

The lack of the weapon wheel wasn't the reason that made Resistance 2 bad, nor was the inclusion of the weapon wheel the reason that made Resistance 1 good.

Although to be fair, R2 has its great moments also.

@patsu: it wasn't earth at the end of R2. There were 2 moons in the sky ! I am guessing the Chimera teleported their mothership to their own planet at that point. How did Capelli get back ?

Lotsa unanswered stuff. Need to Play R3 :cool: !

The only thing I don't like is their moving to New York ! Why are devs so crazy about NY?!?!?! Crysis2 is also doing NY, diferent time frame, but WTH? There's such a big universe to explore and every game takes us to the same boring New York :mad: !

@patsu: it wasn't earth at the end of R2. There were 2 moons in the sky ! I am guessing the Chimera teleported their mothership to their own planet at that point. How did Capelli get back ?

Lotsa unanswered stuff. Need to Play R3 :cool: !

The only thing I don't like is their moving to New York ! Why are devs so crazy about NY?!?!?! Crysis2 is also doing NY, diferent time frame, but WTH? There's such a big universe to explore and every game takes us to the same boring New York :mad: !

It's entirely possible that they teleported the entire planet to a new solar system, that's the most widely accepted theory at least. The towers were a network of teleporters which linked up to create a "field" around the planet to teleport it.

Also, I hardly think Chimera infested war torn NYC will be like other games :p Also, I'm pretty sure it's just one of many locations in the game.

It's because the Chimeras know that NY pays well for a starting research associate in the financial district (G______ S____): $220,000/year with bonus.

EDIT:

Yeah it's all confusing... but fun anyway. ^_^
I only remember the chipped off moon out of the two.

- Do their own game, like they did with Resistance: Fall of Man, instead of trying to copy Call of Duty and Halo series.
- Bring back gunwheel, (vertically divided) split screen campaign, and the narrator.

I completely agree with you about the weapon wheel, and singleplayer campaign.
I hate it that more and more games have abandoned it, and especially games with awesome weapons like Resistance.
It were so many times I had to leave a awesome gun lying on the ground, because I felt that I my current gun would be more usefull right ahead, and also had lots of ammo for it.

And worst of all were when I heard 'STOMP' 'STOMP 'STOMP'' wich meant it were a invisible monster incoming, and then I started panicking running around like a headless chicken searching for a Auger, I think that were what it were called; the weapon wich can shoot through objects/walls, and also would outline enemies through the closest objects.

Usually without the Auger, it meant instant death, until I had been able to memorize were they came from..
But if I were carrying a Auger, it were insanely cool opponents to meet, then it were just get into a walled corner, and shoot it through that, or if not, shoot them at the open area wich you don't see them coming from.

With a weapon wheel, those foes in particular would also be much more fun.

The campaign in the first Resistance were also fantastic, a true masterpiece.
It took me well over 20 hours. The hyped CoD4 took me 4,5 hours.. Resistance 2, took me closer to 16.. But that were due to very hard gameplay, rather than the massive amount of story and reading of intel and similar like the first game.
And I were much better immersed in the first Resistance, than in the sequel.

The places in the sequel were more easily recognisable, and I also suspect that were the main reason why we didn't see as much Chimera-enviromental terraforming, like we did in the first game.
Because without the narrator to tell us it were San Francisco, they couldn't change the golden gate bridge, because that's how we know we're in Sann Francisco.
Prefered much more the documentary reading of the narrator, when she told us how Nathan Hale came to Grimsby and Nothingham, etc.
I felt I were there, even tough I never been there myself, and the enviroment looked completely different to how I imagined it looked, especially lateron when we got more into Alien territory.

I loved seeing human bodies traverse through the tubes aswell..
Of the FPS I've tried this generation, the first Resistance and The Darkness might be the only FPS-games, I tought were well worth 60$ for just for the quality of the single-player campaign. The rest either have issues I didn't like, or were to short.

I see why they changed it tough.
Because the only negative things in the various reviews from the first Resistance, were that it had outdated health and weaponmode, and more HalfLife 2 like story-telling mantra also kept going, narrators drew you out of the immersion. They said..
Probably the reason why R2 were reviewed better, when most people like R1 better.
Atleast in the singleplayer.

Dunno much about multiplayer, because I don't play much of that.

Hale and Capelli ended up on a different planet, or a future Earth with a chipped off moon. Capelli fired at Hale, who has become Chimeran-like. It's also possible that something else happened since we only heard the shot.

You also see Hale getting shot in the head

I don't think we need to spoiler tag R2 story in a R3 thread :D !
Yes, we do see Hale getting shot. But we don't know if a shot will work cos Hale got powers of the last boss and the last boss fight was weird :p !

Yes, yes, that last boss was... I can't remember anymore (although I can remember the story). :LOL:

There may be people playing RFOM late.

The trailer seems to hint at a horror oriented game.

I am more scared of new gameplay surprises in R3 though. :oops:

Back