PS3 Blu-ray playback framerate issue

No, it's under 'Video formats'. I'll bet almost anything it doesn't display at 24Hz. It would be a flickery mess.

Uh...on the specifications page under the heading "Supported Display Resolution" and the subheading "Video formats" it specifically states:
"1080p 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz"

What's more, there are a couple posts on avsforum substantiating the 24Hz thing. Could it be bogus? I suppose. But the data indicates 24 Hz.

On the PS3? I linked the setting in the manual above. There's nothing to force on the TV if Mize is right. I'm still pretty convinced that feeding your TV a 24Hz signal is likely to yield a situation with the TV applying 3:2 pulldown giving you a 60Hz display rate, though.

If you're right (and you well may be) then that flyer is misleading as all hell.

Just force 24 Hz on the PS3, play a movie and pull up the info stats on the TV (I assume it has one and can tell you the refresh, etc. from there).

If you're right (and you well may be) then that flyer is misleading as all hell.

Just force 24 Hz on the PS3, play a movie and pull up the info stats on the TV (I assume it has one and can tell you the refresh, etc. from there).

Thanks. I'll try this tonight when I get home. Can't wait :)

No manual application of 3:2 pulldown on the TV. Your set doesn't appear to have controls for changing such settings (i.e. manually forcing 'film mode' or similar). So, step 1 is to prevent the PS3 from applying 3:2 pulldown by setting the 24Hz setting.

This could improve your result right there. I things doesn't improve, you might want to play with the other settings I mentioned above. Heavy picture processing shouldn't be necessary on a Blu-ray movie and might just make the picture worse/the judder more pronounced.

I did some more digging and I think Zaphod's right. I think that flyer from the Phillips site is simply misleading because it's not backed up by the manual.

If that's true the bad news is you'll never get rid of judder completely.

The highly noticeable frame loss you report means that your PS3 is probably already outputting 24 Hz (since it's on AUTO and senses your TV can take 24 Hz) and 3:2 is probably not enabled on the TV. So your choice are to turn off the 24 Hz output on the PS3 (let the PS3 do the 3:2 pulldown) or turn 3:2 ON on your TV.

With 3:2 on it should be no more "juddery" than playing back a normal dvd on a dvd player.

What else is new in the AV world? ;)

Yeah. Just try it. The OSD should probably tell you what display rate you're getting.

Ok, so I'll try setting the aforementioned PS3 setting to off first and see if that does the trick.

Thanks again everyone!

Man, I feel like I won the HDTV lottery with this set. I just randomly picked out an HDTV in my price range and it turns out to be a fantastic tv.

There's some talk in the humongous thread on AVSForum about upgraded firmware eliminating "choppy picture" on 24Hz inputs. It's not mentioned in the update changelog, but what the hell do I know: Might be worth a shot.

Nice find. Thanks a lot Zaphod!

Now the next question: how to update the firmware? I used to do firmware flashes for Sony Bravia HDTVs as an on-site tech not too long ago, and that was as simply as inserting a flash drive with the proper file and following a couple simple steps. I wonder if its as simple for this set...

Edit: derrrr! If I read the pdf @ the link... :p

There are upgrade instructions in the readme.

I caught that, thanks. Looks almost identical to what was necessary to perform a firmware flash on Sony TVs. Funny Sony paid a tech to travel to customer's homes to do that whereas Philips just freely provides the necessary software to do so and assumes the customer is smart enough to read, and tech savvy enough to have a flash drive :p

I flashed the firmware, quick and painless. Took maybe 2 minutes. Now to try a B-r disk...

But I forgot LotR:FotR is on TNT HD now, so I guess that'll have to wait.

Okay the movies way done by now...how was the judder? :)

LOL, sorry. Been playing with some quality settings trying to get the color scheme right. Also I fell asleep last night after LotR and by the time I remembered to test a B-r disk the Two Towers was on already :p That just ended so I did just test a B-r disk.

Problem solved. I didn't have to change the setting on the PS3 either. All I did was flash the firmware and disable mpeg artifact reduction & noise reduction for the HDMI output my PS3 is using (I leave it on for my cable box though).

Blu-ray looks stunning now. I couldn't ask for a better picture. Thanks again everyone.

Back