Prototype

Listened to Garnett Lee talk about this game on the Listen up! podcast. It confirmed what I expected, that at least in basic movement and traversal it controls a lot like Hulk:UD. You hold down left-bumper to start a heavy run, and from there no obstacle will really stop you.
I was listening to this podcast for inFamous info and, until last week, I wasn't a superhero game fan. Having tried the the inFamous demo on a whim and become irrecoverably hooked on this genre and I must say that Prototype is appealing.

I'm happy that inFamous is out before Prototype, I know - having played the inFamous demo a lot - in fact more than I've played some my of purchased games - that I'm going to love inFamous but Prototype looks and sounds INSANE, like a superhero game steroids. Somehow I managed to go from Atari 2600 Spiderman and Superman to inFamous with no inbetween so I think I need easing into this superhero lark.

Soup

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I want to like it, but the "gore" just seems a bit too...adolescent to me. I'm kind of hoping there will be a demo so I can see if it bothers me enough to warrant a non-purchase or rental. If it doesn't bother me, I'll buy day 1 :)

Hulk UD had some fun mechanics. It's just that the game didn't kept my interest up for long. But it had a lot of potential, I reckon.

For the record, I played (or suffered, depends who you ask) through Spiderman 2 in its entirety. And that game didn't have any engaging or very well put together missions. But its structure combined with its original take on sandbox gameplay won me over. At least enough to brush off its problems and play it from start to finish.

If Prototype doesn't inherit Hulk:UD's "quick sandbox gameplay fun only" but gets more structured, like other good open-world games from the same dev (Simpson Hit and Run, Scarface), it might turn to be an excellent surprise.

Then again, I won't say no to a Hulk:UD-like, to be honest. I wouldn't pay the 65 euro bucks fee for it, but I'd grab it for 30.

Spiderman 2 had terrible missions and combat but excellent movement mechanics. Hulk was a lot more even, but traversing the City was a lot more straightforward. Its biggest problem IMO was that you were often too powerful. There were many many attacks, but you really didn't need most of them, Hulk could handle everything with just a handful of attacks and weaponizations. And considering how the few interviews I have seen with the folks at Radical seems to mostly involve them reminding us of just how powerful Alex Mercer is, I imagine Prototype will have the same problem.

Not that I mind terribly, it's sort of like DMC. You can get by without being terribly flashy (at least before the ultra hard difficulties), but that's avoiding a big portion of the game.

well Demo day (Thursday) passed without a demo for this so next Thursday is last one beofre release.

If no demo appears, I'll be disappointed, suspicious of game play.

or maybe they have an E3 demo planned? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that it's Hulk:Ultimate Destruction, by Activision, not The Incredible Hulk, by Sega.

Ya, I have UD. I gave it a try, surprisingly the "adaptive parkour" , just a superfluous name for "run on any surface", is exactly the same as the Prototype videos :oops: ! There is no traversal you do, you are running on the ground towards a building, and then you start running on the building ! Actually, on Hulk, it looks stupid as such a giant heavy guy running on the side of a building looks stupid. But then it might look fine on the Prototype guy as he is a lean guy :rolleyes:!

Pick any object and throw at helicopters is also exactly the way it is in Prototype videos. It seems they piced up a copy of H:UD and changed the protagonist ! and yes, lso added the ability to drive military vehicles.

Sorry, the game's not for me. It feels like a toy world, with no connection to the real world. Infamous seems grounded and better thought out, I can say that coz I have played the demo.
I hope there's a demo for Prototype, otherwise I am passing on this game.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I want to like it, but the "gore" just seems a bit too...adolescent to me. I'm kind of hoping there will be a demo so I can see if it bothers me enough to warrant a non-purchase or rental. If it doesn't bother me, I'll buy day 1 :)

My thoughts ! That is why I said it feels like a toy world. Its not over the top, things are deliberately put there so that they can keep hammering into the head of gamers that this game has all these features.

These are my thoughts from the numerous videos I have seen and H:UD that I played. The game might change my mind, but where's the demo?

yea, the demo is gonna have to rock my world to get this to replace Crackdown in my library. otherwise, like FUEL, it will be summer rental.

I hope they are still going release a demo after the games release then, because I'm still not sure if I should get this game. I like sandbox in general, but it could be like Infamous, well received by most people, but just not for me.

Back