Proper CD Etiquette

Natoma said:
RussSchultz said:
Wow. Color me wrong.

I took out an old MSDN CD from 1997, and sure enough, you scratch the top and the foil disappears and it stops working.

Crappy CD. ;)
Sorry, can I just ask if you meant medium or content?

Bigus Dickus said:
That seems to go against the rather unanimous recommendation of other forum members, myself included.
When is the last time you saw a scratch in a regular CD format disc, on the labelside, that was not greated intentionally?

With a music CD even a single little scratch on the dataside might mean a slight imperfection in the sound, not something you notice by listening casually, but nevertheless. With a data disc you might not discover a scratch unduced fatal damage, until long after the scratch was made.

Squeak said:
When is the last time you saw a scratch in a regular CD format disc, on the labelside, that was not greated intentionally?
Last week.

With a music CD even a single little scratch on the dataside might mean a slight imperfection in the sound, not something you notice by listening casually, but nevertheless. With a data disc you might not discover a scratch unduced fatal damage, until long after the scratch was made.
Audio CD's employ robust error correction... even more robust in data CD's. If there is a scratch large enough to cause interpolation or muting in an audio CD, it is unlikely to come from "a single little scratch." Highly unlikely.

And even if that were the case, even if scratches caused a disc to be unreadable, or corrupted if it is a data CD, there is the possibility of restoring the disc by polishing scratches. Any damage to the label side is pretty permanent.

Back