Project Cars [PS4, XO]

From GAF thread some of the last PS4 video are shared with Gamersyde and will arrive in better quality maybe before end of weekend.

For those who are not happy with Alan's handling of the controller in these videos [he's a wheel guy], here is a example of good gamepad gameplay:

It is a full on sim, with option to turn on assists [stability control, ABS brakes, etc] or play the game with gamepad.

I am hoping this will be good, because it seems to be a very nice package. Assetto Corsa is currently still a bit barebones (great drive though overall)

Here is a nice PS4 replay video at Imola

Meh.

Some of the textures are awful (flat, no depth), the cardboard crowds are (is) downright disturbing, and lastly, some of the environments and vehicles geometry has a lot of angular edges... like tessellation is very much needed.

Was really happy when they announced this for console and I really like what I'm seeing, but it pains me that the DFGT/older wheels aren't supported on PS4. I don't think I'll want to play a racing game again without a wheel and I don't really feel like buying another... at least not yet.

I am getting this on PC for that reason, as there I can still use the wheel, plus three screens is really sweet. However, Sony should make gyro support mandatory for racing games, as I love it in DriveClub and it would have been a great fit here.

Meh.

Some of the textures are awful (flat, no depth), the cardboard crowds are (is) downright disturbing, and lastly, some of the environments and vehicles geometry has a lot of angular edges... like tessellation is very much needed.

A lot of that is caused by the crossgen nature of the engine. Game was in development for a long time, it was planned to run on PS3/X360 [now only WiiU will be supported from old consoles], and not every aspect of the game is polished to the nextgen standards. Still, it looks great.

but it pains me that the DFGT/older wheels aren't supported on PS4.
I thought wheel support was game dependent on the consoles (not system wide like windows)
the DFGT is supported in this game on windows along with more or less every wheel out there including really old ones llike the microsoft sidewinder wheel (great wheel btw) and the original logitech force also thrustmaster and fanatec wheels. It also has a custom wheel config and custom controller config

A lot of that is caused by the crossgen nature of the engine. Game was in development for a long time, it was planned to run on PS3/X360 [now only WiiU will be supported from old consoles], and not every aspect of the game is polished to the nextgen standards. Still, it looks great.

Is that really the reason? I'm pretty sure the PC edition will not suffer from these terrible aspects... and todays (next/current gen) consoles are closer to their PC brethren in design, rather than their predecessors.

yeah but on consoles you can't have driveclub level of details at 60fps and with 45 cars at once.
Still good enough for what it is, a sim. Looks at least on par with forza 5 graphically.

yeah but on consoles you can't have driveclub level of details at 60fps and with 45 cars at once.

Correct. That's what I was aiming at... I think most of the cutbacks or trade-offs has more to do with meeting their 60fps goal, not so much the cross generation ball-and-chain baggage.

Back