Prescott somewhat revealed...

keegdsb said:
Blade said:
Keeg: He said 'currently'.

So yeah, I'm screwed. I made pretty much the worst upgrade possible when I got my Asus P4C800 (875p) because it's not going to really support Prescott like it says in the freaking manual. Stupid Intel.
So they're lying in their manuals and product pages ? :oops: o_O

That's something new. The prior versions of the Asus P4C800 Deluxe did not have this. I should know, I built a system for a friend of mine based on this board in May. ;)

I don't know if this new version is selling yet though, and the support is not known yet. The only known 100% compatible support are the Gigabyte boards. Though no doubt this will change soon, if it hasn't already.

Then again, with a 110+ Watt rating, I wouldn't be caught dead with a 1st gen prescott. Intel seriously needs to reduce it.

Dave H said:
Natoma said:
We'll see how the Athlon 64 stacks up against the Northwood P4's when it's launched next month at consumer speeds of 2.0 - 2.4 Ghz.

Are you sure about this? I haven't been following the CPU market closely the last few months, but last I heard (and as best I can tell following a spot check at Xbit), Athlon 64 is said to be launching at 1.8 and 2.0 GHz, with few or no speed bumps planned until Q1 of next year. Which, incidentally, jibes very well with Opteron--a much lower volume chip--having just recently hit 2.0 Ghz (a month or two late). And further comports with AMD's difficulties getting the K7 to those sorts of clock speeds.

Frankly, if AMD had the capability to be fabbing chips in the 2.4 GHz range, they'd be doing it already. IMO. But who knows?--maybe they'll do a paper launch of a 2.4 GHz part so that they can claim the performance lead.

There are some pretty big differences between the Opteron and the Athlon 64, such as the number of Hypertransport channels and the amount of cache. You can think of them as basically a P4 vs a Celeron, though a pretty fast Celeron at that. :)

What I'm basically trying to say is that the Athlon 64 is launching at 2Ghz at the end of September and is supposed to ramp to 2.4Ghz by the end of the year. The Opteron however probably won't get above 2.2Ghz until Q1'04.

Why wouldn't AMD start off at 2.4Ghz? The rating system they use will make a 2Ghz Athlon 64 a 3400+, which would give them the performance "lead" over a P4 3.2Ghz. Given the fact that Prescott isn't going to hit until Q4'03, and now apparently has been delayed until Q1'04, this will probably be enough to tide them over. However, if Prescott does indeed launch this year, you can bet the 2.4Ghz Athlon 64 will be ready.

Natoma said:
Dave H said:
Natoma said:
We'll see how the Athlon 64 stacks up against the Northwood P4's when it's launched next month at consumer speeds of 2.0 - 2.4 Ghz.

Are you sure about this?

...some stuff...

In other words, no, you're not sure.

There are some pretty big differences between the Opteron and the Athlon 64, such as the number of Hypertransport channels and the amount of cache. You can think of them as basically a P4 vs a Celeron, though a pretty fast Celeron at that. :)

I'm quite aware of what the differences between Opteron and A64 are: 128-bit wide DRAM bus instead of (mostly) 64-bit, up to 3 HT links for multiprocessing, different packaging (mostly), and a requirement for registered DRAM (mostly). Contrary to your assertion, though, the L2 size of the initial A64s is the same as Opteron's: 1MB. Initial plans apparently called for 512kB and 256kB versions (with 1MB reserved for Opteron), but those were dropped due to...

...wait for it...

...difficulties ramping the clock speed. (A 256kB version is now due out in 1H04.) After all, adding cache is a good way to make your processor perform better when you can't get it to run any faster. The downside, of course, is that you can make fewer with the same expenditure of $$ and time; but that's not such a problem when you're suffering from low demand and own your own fab.

This fact alone is a strong indication that they can't ramp clock speed much past 2.0 GHz in the near-term. Even more so the fact that AMD has, in recent months, gone from planning no A64 with a 128-bit bus, to having one set for next summer, to having one set for the initial launch in September, even though in their rush all they could come up with is just a remarked Opteron 1xx that, as such, won't even be able to use unbuffered DRAM. This whole charade means a total of three different sockets for A64 in its first few months of existence (one for the 64-bit wide bus; one for the remarked Opteron, and another for the upcoming 128-bit wide A64 that can use unbuffered DRAM like a real consumer chip). The whole effort has a slight air of desperation, which of course is what you get when you have to scramble to make up for disappointing clock rampability. We saw a similar spectacle in the graphics market with the FXFlow.

What I'm basically trying to say is that the Athlon 64 is launching at 2Ghz at the end of September and is supposed to ramp to 2.4Ghz by the end of the year.

Again, are you sure? Where did you hear that?

(Glancing through the Inq, I think I know. It's from a German rumor site called--get this--planet3dnow.de, and even The Inquirer doesn't seem to think it's credible. Probably because they know it's not.)

The Opteron however probably won't get above 2.2Ghz until Q1'04.

Perhaps, in that server-level chips generally take longer to hit the market, due to longer qualification times and more complex systems engineering. On the other hand, maybe not, given that Opteron's niche is not in servers but in HPC (which prizes super speed above super reliability), and that one of the benefits of K8's integrated memory controller is how it simplifies systems engineering.

On the one hand, Opteron is the lower volume part, which means less room for a top speed grade. On the other, given the higher margins such a part would fetch, it seems likely that AMD would push the Opteron process for clocks over yield. And besides, with the high-end A64s now being Opterons in disguise, there's no real reason for anything but perhaps the 4xx and 8xx's not to share in the top speed grade.

Why wouldn't AMD start off at 2.4Ghz? The rating system they use will make a 2Ghz Athlon 64 a 3400+, which would give them the performance "lead" over a P4 3.2Ghz.

Heh. And my 5.8 GHz cordless phone leads them both.

I know you used scare quotes around "lead," but I don't think that's adequate to express how little credibility AMD's performance ratings now have in the markeplace. AMD was able to get almost exact pricing parity (on a PR-to-MHz basis) with the P4 for quite a while, but now they're fetching only around 65 cents to the dollar. (And, at the high-end, are well overpriced at that.)

AMD will give whatever it can come up with a PR matching its top-end P4 competition, i.e. a 3400+. This has nothing whatever to do with whether that chip will deserve such a rating.

(If it were the 128-bit version, it might actually deserve it; but for some reason--whether to avoid the confusion of trying to capture two independent contributions to performance (core clock and memory bandwidth) with a single scalar performance rating, or because any rating for the 128-bit wide A64 that didn't cram the 64-bit A64 (which, after all, will still represent the bulk of A64 production) into an embarrassingly low rating would either itself be absurdly high or would vastly underrepresent the performance boost of the wider bus--the 128-bit wide A64 is going to get model numbers like the Opteron it is, rather than performance ratings like the narrow bus A64s. As an aside, what a mess.)

Given the fact that Prescott isn't going to hit until Q4'03, and now apparently has been delayed until Q1'04, this will probably be enough to tide them over.

Again, I don't know where you've been reading this, but AFAICT all credible indications are that Prescott is still on track for a November launch.

However, if Prescott does indeed launch this year, you can bet the 2.4Ghz Athlon 64 will be ready.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Why can I bet this?

Because otherwise AMD would be in a terrible competitive position? I mean, that's true, but it didn't magically allow them to ramp AthlonXP any faster, did it?

You do realize there's more to clock rampability than just wish fulfillment, right?? :rolleyes:

Blade said:
All I have to say is.. I hope that Canterwood boards will support Prescott like they were advertised to..

Even Intel's own current boards will not run the Prescott. The current circutry is just not providing enough power. The changes are doccumented in this design change PDF:
http://developer.intel.com/design/pcn/MTHRBRD/D1035310.pdf

Why have they done this? I think that most people will be jumping to the "Intel are trying to screw us out of more money" bandwagon, but there are other possibilities. Perhaps Intel's engineers believed they could bring the Prescott's power requirements down in time for launch, which is not possible at the moment. Who knows? I think its a bit daft to buy a PGA478 Prescott, since the newer LGA775 ones are comming out so soon after, you'll be left with a motherboard with virtually no upgrade path and such a short "spankin' new" lifespan. Not a bad choice if you're comming off a P3 or Willamette and intend to keep the PC for another few years, but if comming from a Northwood/865-875 combo you have too much money and not enough sense. :)

Cheers, Tom.

Considering x86-64 was AMD/MS creation, there really is no "Intel's own take" on it. Yamhill is their core that supports x86-64 as specified by AMD/MS.

*boggle* AFAIK, Yamhill was Intel's own ISA, not related to x86-64. x86-64 is a solution provided by AMD, approved off by MS. Intel had their own ideas with their team in Israel.

As for the K8, well the short pipeline is likely screwing them the hardest. Yes, it's two stages longer than the K7, too bad, they added more logic as well and those two stages accomadate that extra logic for the most part. Could be the 3 full decoders in the critical path.

As for the Opteron, from a few posts by Paul DeMone et al at RWT, it's my understanding that these processors use a less aggressive process. This is to insure reliability. Consumer parts can be pushed harder, of course. Time to validate is still longer, but it's a fair bit shorter on the motherboard/system integrator side since a the chip to chip and chip to memory logic is onboard and tested.

I think AMD is hosed, personally. Intel took the smart route by NOT relying on exotic processes. Rather they just ramped up the clock and then worry about IPC later. Thus far, they're kick ass and taking names, they have plenty of clocking headroom to keep up with AMD and they can continually add IPC improvements such as, superior cache hierarchies, trace cache, hyper threading and so on. Not to say AMD couldn't extend the pipeline and catch up; but if that was possible, it'd have been done by now or we would have heard of it. It doesn't even seem to be on the radar. I don't think the A64 will really merit it's high rating. That 64 bit straw of a bus isn't going to do much, even with low latency, it won't be gaining that much more efficiency, not enough to over take a dual channel chipset from Intel and a Prescott or even a high end Northwood, perhaps.

It looks kinda dismal for AMD, which sucks the big one, since they're keeping prices down and progress up in the x86 arena.

Saem said:
I think AMD is hosed, personally. Intel took the smart route by NOT relying on exotic processes. Rather they just ramped up the clock and then worry about IPC later. Thus far, they're kick ass and taking names, they have plenty of clocking headroom to keep up with AMD and they can continually add IPC improvements such as, superior cache hierarchies, trace cache, hyper threading and so on. Not to say AMD couldn't extend the pipeline and catch up; but if that was possible, it'd have been done by now or we would have heard of it. It doesn't even seem to be on the radar. I don't think the A64 will really merit it's high rating. That 64 bit straw of a bus isn't going to do much, even with low latency, it won't be gaining that much more efficiency, not enough to over take a dual channel chipset from Intel and a Prescott or even a high end Northwood, perhaps.

Athlon 64 is coming in two versions, A64 and A64 FX. The FX is essentially an Opteron (with one pin removed). I think the FX will be within shooting range of the P4s in 1 CPU configs and kill it in dual configs.

The (64 bit DRAM bus) A64 won't compete with dual channel P4 solutions (think cost), I think it will be competitive with whatever Intel choose to call Celeron.

I know my next rig will be a dual Opteron/AMD 64FX one, just so I can play around with 64bit linux.

Cheers
Gubbi

Dave H said:
Natoma said:

Are you sure about this? I haven't been following the CPU market closely the last few months, but last I heard (and as best I can tell following a spot check at Xbit), Athlon 64 is said to be launching at 1.8 and 2.0 GHz, with few or no speed bumps planned until Q1 of next year. Which, incidentally, jibes very well with Opteron--a much lower volume chip--having just recently hit 2.0 Ghz (a month or two late). And further comports with AMD's difficulties getting the K7 to those sorts of clock speeds.

Frankly, if AMD had the capability to be fabbing chips in the 2.4 GHz range, they'd be doing it already. IMO. But who knows?--maybe they'll do a paper launch of a 2.4 GHz part so that they can claim the performance lead.

Amdzone has a 2.3Ghz overclocked Opteron 246. http://amdzone.com/#13 So it would appear that the A64 will not be tied down in clock speed. Perhaps they are just wait for yields to improve or something. I would guess that, with the 2.3 Opteron in mind, a 2.2Ghz Athlon 64 at launch or shortly thereafter is likely.

Overclocking doesn't prove anything. They didn't validate the CPU in any convincing way.

Athlon 64 is coming in two versions, A64 and A64 FX. The FX is essentially an Opteron (with one pin removed). I think the FX will be within shooting range of the P4s in 1 CPU configs and kill it in dual configs.

The (64 bit DRAM bus) A64 won't compete with dual channel P4 solutions (think cost), I think it will be competitive with whatever Intel choose to call Celeron.

I know my next rig will be a dual Opteron/AMD 64FX one, just so I can play around with 64bit linux.

I have no doubt the fx will be able to compete on a price performance level, but with the wafer costs the way they are with AMD, I don't see them being able to compete against the Celeron. Especially, since that's what the Athlons (soo to be made durons) will be upto. Unless times have changed.

Gubbi said:
Athlon 64 is coming in two versions, A64 and A64 FX. The FX is essentially an Opteron (with one pin removed).

AFAICT (and this is mostly coming from the Inquirer, so correct me if I'm wrong), the initial A64 FXs will exactly be Opterons, with a different name stenciled on the top. These come in the same 940-pin packaging and presumably have the same limitation to registered DRAM only. In the coming months, they will be phased out in favor of a 939-pin A64 FX, which will presumably support unbuffered DRAM. (The packaging change being in order to prevent each from being used in the wrong type of motherboard.)

I think the FX will be within shooting range of the P4s in 1 CPU configs and kill it in dual configs.

The question is whether the FX will be a copy of the Opteron 2xx--in which case it will indeed be available in dual configs that will indeed cream the best P4s--or whether it is a copy of the Opteron 1xx and limited to single CPU configs only. I'm confused about this, but I thought it was the latter. (Frankly makes a lot more sense that way.)

Of course, in that case one could always buy some Opteron 2xx's. There are definitely workstation-oriented dual-Opteron boards, so the presence of an AGP slot etc. is not at issue.

Most P4s will still be sold in single-channel configurations; normal A64 should be perfectly competitive with mid-range P4s, at least to start. (Although certainly not to the degree their Performance Rating will suggest.) It's the frequency ramp enabled by Prescott that's the potential problem, IMO. And of course the penetration of dual-channel P4 boards into the mainstream of the market.

Tbred2GHz said:
The immediate successor to Prescott after it tops out at 5.20GHz will be the "Tejas" core, also produced on a 90 nanometer process and delivering 5.60GHz using a 1066MHz system bus. That's slated to start appearing towards the end of 2004. Tejas will increase in steady increments which appear to be 6GHz, 6.40GHz, 6.80GHz, 7.20GHz, 7.60GHz, 7GHz, 8.40GHz, 8.80GHz and topping out at 9.20GHz. The first Nehalem is supposed to appear at 9.60GHz before Intel succeeds in its goal to produce a 10GHz+ chip, the Nehalem, and using a 1200MHz front side bus. "

The prescott pentium5 at 90nm and 3.4GHz with 1mb cache is looking great on paper. also at 250fsb itll be oced to 4.25GHz and being 90nm this might even be possible on air. If people are getting the 2.8c to around 3.5GHz on 130nm, imagine 90nm. I dont see why 4+ GHz would be a problem even with the first steppings. Later steppings will have people ocing 4GHz to 5GHz :oops:

Guess this is totally impossible now, seeing how in Intel's current roadmap Tejas comes out at 4.4Ghz and the Prescott dieing at 4-ish Ghz.

Tom: Yeah, well it's too bad that nobody figured that out back when Canterwood debuted.

I bought mine thinking along the lines of what it says in my damned manual. :) Here's the line:

"New power design supports next generation Intel Prescott CPU"

Sure it does, Asus. Sure it does, Intel. If I had known that they'd do this, I wouldn't have bought it.

Back