Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD APU - 16 Core CPU @ 2.5GHz / 15-20 TFLOP GPU. 128GB's of GDDR5 RAM. 2TB HDD. Winter 2019 release - Do it MS !!

I'm thinking AMD APU - 8 Core Zen CPU @ 3.0+ GHz / 10-12 TFLOP GPU - 16 GB HBM2 + 64 GB GDDR5X or DDR4 RAM - November 2018 release - $399.99.

I'm thinking.

Microsoft:

Xbox III
AMD APU
12-core Zen CPU at 2.6 GHz
10TFLOP GPU
96GB GDDR5X
Fall-Winter 2019 Release

Sony:

Playstation 5
AMD APU
12-core Zen CPU at 2.6 GHz
12TFLOP GPU
128GB GDDR5X
XB1 BC causes Microsoft late-gen domination, so Sony reacts by shoving a Cell BE and 256MB of XDR-mimicking RAM onto the APU, used for perfect hardware PS3 BC and as an audio processor in PS5 games
Early 2020 release

Nintendo:

AMD 2TF GPU
12GB GDDR5
Nintendo partners with Microchip to develop a computationally capable CPU
With new branding to avoid additional "Wii" confusion, the Nintendo dsPIC releases in November 2016

Anyone know what densities GDDR5x will have? I don't think you'll ever see a wider bus than 256-bits in a console. That will limit the amount of RAM chips drastically. I think 16 like today is max so a realistic GDDR memory size is probably in the 16-32 GB range for next gen. I'm betting on HBM.

It will likely be a HBM. I am expecting when technology to stack the HBM dies higher than HBM2 comes out, the next gen consoles will use it. They could easily do 4 dies totally 64GB with 1TB/s of bandwidth once third gen becomes economical I would imagine. I don't know if direct die stacking would be possible then, I expect no but who knows. GDDR5x is not going to scale well since all it is would be GDDR5 at higher speeds with the same interconnect. I don't think GDDR5x will be used in anything except the lowest end products once HBM ramps. Since the whole of HBM is silicon, once yields improve, it will likely become very cheap.

Maybe 8MB of shared L4 esram could be used but I doubt they will ever do the xbox one style design again when HBM like technologies are better in every way and much cheaper in the long run.

Hi everyone. The next gen consoles will have a great memory amount, but the HBM memory will be expensive to integrate the sufficient amount so i think they will adopt a similar solution than Intel with their APUs. They will have a L3 cache for the GPU or a coherent memory pool. Its size will be 4 or maybe 8 GB, and its technology will be HBM2 with a high bandwidth. Besides, they will have 32 or 64 GB DDR4 main memory.

- CPU: 6 cores (12 threads) Zen+ on 10nm.
- GPU: GCN 12-15 TFLOPs.
- SSHD: 64GB/2TB
- Release: End 2019.

Bye.

PlayStation 5
No disc drive on standard machine (optional more expensive version)
ARM processor for OS functions + dedicated memory
8 large CPUs (16 threads) - 3-4GHz
64GB HBM
GPU 12TF
Release 2019

Xbox 4:
16 small(ish)CPUs - 2-2.5GHz
32GB HBM
GPU 15TF
Release 2018

PlayStation 5
ARM processor for OS functions + dedicated memory
8 large CPUs (16 threads) - 3-4GHz
64GB HBM
GPU 12TF
Release 2019

Xbox 4:
16 small(ish)CPUs - 2-2.5GHz
32GB HBM
GPU 15TF
Release 2018

How about.... nextgen console with optional, easy-to-install and cheap user-replaceable BD drive? :D That would not only make base console cheaper, but it would provide easy way for users to replace one of the most commonly breakable part of current consoles.

Why does everyone use the historical precedent for memory increases but not processing power? Flops increased roughly 40x from PS2 -> PS3 and increased roughly 8x from PS3-> PS4. Good chance it will only increase 4-5x for next gen.

I suspect we will be lucky to see a 4x jump in memory for next gen let alone 8-16x increase.

How about.... nextgen console with optional, easy-to-install and cheap user-replaceable BD drive? :D That would not only make base console cheaper, but it would provide easy way for users to replace one of the most commonly breakable part of current consoles.
It's not unprecedented. The original PS2 included space for the network adaptor and 3.5" HDD caddy.

I think GDDR5X exists only to allow a quick scaling of existing GPU designs. It's exactly the same as GDDR5, but with a higher clock at the cost of a wider prefetch.

I would expects that once both AMD and Nvidia have moved to HBM2 there's no going back. (unless there's a cost problem, obviously)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back