PowerVR SDK Updated - Includes stunning new Benchmark !

if the download stops, just retry. I might have to restart the box.

Let me know when you get it, so I can take if off.

Pheww finally. Thanks again Daemon.

1024x768x16

D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 34.5
Benchmark: 2804 frames

Driver: pmx2hal.dll
Description: 3D Prophet 4500
Version: 1.05.15.0084

Resolution: 1024x768x16
Texture compression: ON
Max. Texture used: 1024x1024

CPU Description: AMD K7 (Athlon)
CPU Speed: 1.500GHz

Time: 2002/6/6 16:55:45 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Command Line: "C:\unzipped\D3DFableMark\PowerVR SDK\DX8\Apps\D3DFableMark\D3DFableMark.exe" -Width=1024 -Height=768 -Bpp=16 -Benchmark -Auto Quit
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1024x768x16/2xVertical SS

D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 19.3

Resolution: 1024x768x16

Time: 2002/6/6 16:59:34 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Command Line: "C:\unzipped\D3DFableMark\PowerVR SDK\DX8\Apps\D3DFableMark\D3DFableMark.exe" -Width=1024 -Height=768 -Bpp=16 -Benchmark -Auto Quit

1280x1024x16

D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 22.3

Resolution: 1280x1024x16

Time: 2002/6/6 17:03:15 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Command Line: "C:\unzipped\D3DFableMark\PowerVR SDK\DX8\Apps\D3DFableMark\D3DFableMark.exe" -Width=1280 -Height=1024 -Bpp=16 -Benchmark -Auto Quit

Quite a witty little utility they got there. Is the turtle symbolising PowerVR's wishful dreaming? LOL :p

Re: visual issues

Daemon_UK said:
If you want the driver release, goto here ... driverheaven.net

I use these drivers, because they are better than anything ATi can produce :eek:

Those drivers are "mixed" by two guys called Cyborg and Omegadrive. Basically they take ATI driver sets and mix and match various parts from one set with another. I believe that they use an older D3D driver than in the latest 6071 drivers due to a few bugs.

So they're still ATI made, just not in the same way ;)

Re: visual issues

µße®LørÃ￾ said:
Daemon_UK said:
If you want the driver release, goto here ... driverheaven.net

I use these drivers, because they are better than anything ATi can produce :eek:

Those drivers are "mixed" by two guys called Cyborg and Omegadrive. Basically they take ATI driver sets and mix and match various parts from one set with another. I believe that they use an older D3D driver than in the latest 6071 drivers due to a few bugs.

So they're still ATI made, just not in the same way ;)

I love it when people point out the obvious. :LOL: :p :LOL:

My Prophet 4500 died some time in february, so :

D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 16.3

Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Description: Radeon 8500 / LE (Omega/Plutonium X1.0.71b)
Version: 5.1.2600.0

Resolution: 1024x768x32

CPU Speed: 1.300GHz

I got 21.3 fps on my GeForce4 Ti 4200.

How well does a Kyro do on this bench?

I just have to say, though, the benchmark was quite underwhelming...the polycounts were laughable.

D3DFableMark is a benchmark program featuring a puppet theatre in which a well-known fable, "The Hare and the Tortoise", is performed. Every object in the scene has soft-edged shadows projected onto the stage background and the rendering of these accurate shadows form the basis of this benchmark.

All shadows in D3DFableMark are soft-edged, and are rendered using the hardware stencil buffer. The CPU uses the light position and the model for each object to calculate multiple shadow volumes. The scene is rendered in multiple passes; first the scene is rendered using ambient lighting, which also prepares the depth buffer for stencil lighting. Then the shadow volumes are submitted and the contribution from each light source to each soft-edge volume is summed into the scene. Finally, the scene is rendered once again, this time modulating the textures by the results of the previous passes. The final result is a relatively high polygon count scene with approximately 95% of the polygons being translucent.

PowerVR's Z32[TM] technology enables KYRO to process the invisible polygons that affect the stencil buffer exceptionally fast, giving KYRO a significant performance advantage in situations where multiple stencil buffer accesses are required. PowerVR's ConstantStencil[TM] enables the benchmark to be run at any colour depths on KYRO cards whereas most other video cards must use 32 bits mode for their stencil buffer to be available. Finally PowerVR's Internal True Colour[TM] means no colour degradation occurs in 16 bits mode, which is not the case with other graphic cards.

Results are on page one.

All shadows in D3DFableMark are soft-edged, and are rendered using the hardware stencil buffer.

Yes, I think there is a well known up-coming engine that also makes extensive use of stencils...

Very cool..hat's off to the guys (and gals) at IMG

D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 22.7

Description: PowerVR KYRO 32MB/64MB

Resolution: 1024x768x32

CPU Speed: 1.300GHz

Dave,

I'm aware of that, yet isn't it highly dependant on implementation? Stencil shadows like they're used in q3a are abysmal for KYRO's. Can you or anyone else clarify why?

Jerry,

Got any AA enabled? I verified my results 3 times for each resolution and colour depth and 1x7 was consistantly over 34 for both 16 and 32bpp.

DaveBaumann said:
Yes, I think there is a well known up-coming engine that also makes extensive use of stencils...

My only question is, will the lack of any T&L kill the Kyro in DOOM3? And besides, DOOM3 will be great for cards with memory bandwidth-savings tech (Radeon+, GF3+), since it only writes to the z-buffer once. Due to the large number of passes in DOOM3, I wonder if they Kyro will be able to keep up.

Back