PowerVR MBX vertex processor is DX8.1

Teasy

Veteran
I was just checking out a PDF on the PowerVR MBX when I noticed this:

Further performance is possible through addition of the optional Vertex Geometry Processor (VGP) for accelerated transformation and lighting calculations, which is based on the Microsoft DirectX8.1 Vertex Shader specifications

VGP Specs:

Vertex Geometry Processor (VGP) Features

x Hardware transformation and lighting
engine

x Fast floating point processor optimized only
for 3D geometry applications

x 4-way SIMD - 4 FLOPs per cycle
- Calculations performed to IEEE single precision floating point
- 4x4 matrix multiply in 4 cycles

x Based on Microsoft DX8 programmable VertexShader spec
- 16 vertex inputs, 192 constants, 14 temp regs, 16 vertex outputs
- 256 instruction memory -downloaded instruction store

x Reciprocal, reciprocal square root, fractional, log and power functions

x Pipelined operation allowing most instructions to execute in 1 clock cycle

x 4M FLOPS / MHz - 320M FLOPS @ 80MHz peak performance

I found this pretty interesting. I also wondered what people thought about it?

Here's the PDF file:

http://www.arm.com/armtech/5D9JZR/$File/MBXWhitePaper.pdf

Maybe we should hold the CineFX and NV2X vertex Shader specs against this ?

Code:
                 Constants         Temp Regs        Instructions
MBX                192                    14                      256
NV2X                96                    12                       128
CineFX            256                    16                       256

Not too bad for a handheld device :)

K~

Kristof said:
Maybe we should hold the CineFX and NV2X vertex Shader specs against this ?

Code:
                 Constants         Temp Regs        Instructions
MBX                192                    14                      256
NV2X                96                    12                       128
CineFX            256                    16                       256

Not too bad for a handheld device :)

K~

Actually nv2x has at least double of constants registers you quoted.

nAo said:
Actually nv2x has at least double of constants registers you quoted.

I copied the numbers from the CineFX paper, what's your source for claiming at least double the number ?

You might be confused with the ATI 8500 which IIRC exposes 192 constants.

K-

Kristof said:
I copied the numbers from the CineFX paper, what's your source for claiming at least double the number ?
K-
Sorry, I can't disclose. However all the 192 constant registers can be exposed and used on the NV2A.

Just one quick note on performance:

"4-way SIMD - 4 FLOPs per cycle"

This implies that the chip will essentially have the geometry processing power of a GeForce3, on a per-clock basis. In other words, it has a single vertex processing unit.

Still, it does make some mention about "most instructions executed in one clock cycle," so it may have other benefits that won't be seen just by looking at normal geometry processing power.

Regardless, at least the geometry side is a definite step up from other mobile solutions we have today...and if it's for hand-held, so much the better.

I'd like to see such a Vertex Shader in a PowerVR Series 4 based PC-graficscard (+ DX8.1-Pixel Shader) :D ! But at the moment it looks not very good for such a card heading for the market :cry: !

Kristof do think we will see a handheld gaming device based on PowerVR MBX? That would be very interesting!

CU ActionNews

I think PowerVR is doing the right thing by targeting specific markets other than the PC market. There's too much competition in the PC market and even small profits will be very resource consuming for a relatively small outfit like PowerVR. They should continue to target the arcade, console, and portable market.

Any products for any market... I can not talk about which markets are targetted which products etc... heck I can not tell you anything unless it was already revealed by marketing :)

K-

PC-Engine said:
I think PowerVR is doing the right thing by targeting specific markets other than the PC market. There's too much competition in the PC market and even small profits will be very resource consuming for a relatively small outfit like PowerVR. They should continue to target the arcade, console, and portable market.

exactly. the pc/workstation market is saturated, while, for instance, the handhelds are in complete 3d vacuum. the present "cutting-edge" in palm display tech is in sony clie series' - a pq1100 blitter - there's no comparison to a full-fledged PVR unit! however, there's already a compo-style demo for the clie, so imagine what a fun would a pvr-equipped handheld be for the graphics demo scene! ;)

Hey you could always give me a job ;), I do have a degree in physics and technological physics after all.

Its only a pass degree because I had to resit my third year, because of a little too much
drooling1.gif
user.gif
000gurl.gif
suomi.gif
drooling1.gif
afro.gif
user.gif
drooling1.gif
suomi.gif

Actually, not as much
000gurl.gif
as i'd liked, but there was definately some