Power Supply??

Im running a dual core 3.0, Audigy 2 zs, a 250 gig hdd, and a 7900 gtx. Im using a 400w antec power supply I was wondering if I should up my ps or 400w is suficient.

What is the rating for the +12v Amperage?
Also full model number of your Antec would be handy.

woundingchaney said:
12v - 14a max
I'm surprised no one LOLed at that max, and moreso that your system even worked with such a low-rated 12V rail. :) Were you able to game with that PSU?

Anyway, your system should be much happier with your new PSU. Good catch.

woundingchaney said:
Yeah just picked up a 550w antec.

I would of suggested 800ish just so you dont have to replace it for a few years.

Pete said:
I'm surprised no one LOLed at that max, and moreso that your system even worked with such a low-rated 12V rail. :) Were you able to game with that PSU?

Anyway, your system should be much happier with your new PSU. Good catch.

Pentium systems dont require anything off the 12V rail to run (AMD does). A HDD and rom + card from 2004/05 is certainly possible. As long as it was quality and not generic.

On a side note about Power supplies. Recently, my Mobo packed up, so I decided to try my Shuttle XP for XP3200+ with a PSU of only 250W. I was worried that it wouldn't handle my X800 Pro > PE XT but was suprised to see it handle everything without any hitches.

Woot!

US

Unknown Soldier said:
On a side note about Power supplies. Recently, my Mobo packed up, so I decided to try my Shuttle XP for XP3200+ with a PSU of only 250W. I was worried that it wouldn't handle my X800 Pro > PE XT but was suprised to see it handle everything without any hitches.

Woot!

US

Doesnt mean it wont blow in a month or two. I've destroyed alot of PSUs that way. They appear to work then they just pop one day when you go to turn it on.

wasn't that 12-14A figure for one of two 12V rails?
would antec make such a crappy PSU, lying as much on the wattage as the crappiest noname company? my 350W fotron is single rail 16A, which is considered to be a slightly low declared max amperage, and a few years old.
It seems to me that you changed the PSU for psychological reason.

@sugarcoat : I don't know what a 800W PSU would be useful for, and you're wrong about the pentium not drawing current from the +12V. Intel introduced years ago the additional 4 pin 12V connector, known as the "P4 connector", and is behind the ATX12V 2.0 spec.
Ahtlon XP was still fed from 5V I think.

That is why I wanted to know what the model was for the Antec 400W the original poster had. Some Antec's are not really that good in all honesty especially the Smart Power models.

Blazkowicz_ said:
@sugarcoat : I don't know what a 800W PSU would be useful for, and you're wrong about the pentium not drawing current from the +12V. Intel introduced years ago the additional 4 pin 12V connector, known as the "P4 connector", and is behind the ATX12V 2.0 spec.
Ahtlon XP was still fed from 5V I think.

if you're someone who buys high end hardware? Having a PSU that will last 3-4 years is kinda nice. 550W may be under the safe limit in 2 years, or even as much as a few months if someone wanted to run a couple high end Nvidia 8800s in SLI and/or multiple HDDs which can be kinda annoying. And unlike CPUs, HDDs, memory, and graphics cards, PSU's have garbage resale value on something like ebay, so its not something you'll want to replace often.

I was under the impression that Socket 939 and now AM2 puts far more stress and dependency on the 12V rail then any LGA775 system?

LOL

Yeah what had happened I ordered the card and checked the requirement under the GT instead of the GTX.

but anyways its not a real big deal found a sale at staples and picked up the 550 antec for 50 dollars at the local staples (my local shop All American Computers is closed on the weekend)

Actually the card did run although I would notice dramatic framedrops and every once in a while the system would reboot from time to time. At first I thought maybe I had a dust build up or a loose mem. strip until I checked my XFX box again (LOL).

As far as needing to replace the PS Im not real concerned Im probably going to build a crossfire system shortly after the release of either Vista or the second gen of DX10 cards.

Oh and by the way everything is running smooth now.

SugarCoat said:
if you're someone who buys high end hardware? Having a PSU that will last 3-4 years is kinda nice. 550W may be under the safe limit in 2 years, or even as much as a few months if someone wanted to run a couple high end Nvidia 8800s in SLI and/or multiple HDDs which can be kinda annoying. And unlike CPUs, HDDs, memory, and graphics cards, PSU's have garbage resale value on something like ebay, so its not something you'll want to replace often.

I was under the impression that Socket 939 and now AM2 puts far more stress and dependency on the 12V rail then any LGA775 system?
I believe that you are correct about socket 939 and AM2 putting more stress on the 12V rail, at least I was informed so when about a month ago.

Back