Portable PS5? *spawn*

A PS4Portable would have to use an AMD SOC. That'd greatly affect pricing.

It's not just about the price of the SOC or device itself. It's what money will be brought in ? companies have moved past the ps4. Games aren't getting developed for it. Sony fans are saying devs wont even optimize to make games work on the xbox series s which is the same hardware as the series x but reduced in performance. Yet some how developers will start to program new games for a portable ps4 ?

So what would sony do ? Jack the ps4 games back up in price to drive revenue ?

At least a portable series s would get new games for another half decade or so if its some what successful. PS5 portable would get even longer term support.

It's not just about the price of the SOC or device itself. It's what money will be brought in ? companies have moved past the ps4. Games aren't getting developed for it. Sony fans are saying devs wont even optimize to make games work on the xbox series s which is the same hardware as the series x but reduced in performance. Yet some how developers will start to program new games for a portable ps4 ?
The most popular GaaS titles are still played on PS4. They don't run well on NSW.

So what would sony do ? Jack the ps4 games back up in price to drive revenue ?
Just milk 30% on in game content. Add on content generates Sony more money than game sales.

To be clear, I'm not arguing this is a great plan! Just talking it through seeing what might or might not work. The problem with a current-gen platform that can take PS5 games is you end up with an expensive device and you'll taking NSW2 head on. I can't imagine more than a few million sales. However, the low-end handheld market may have been completely replaced with mobiles. It's hard to say as there are no players - NSW is still pricey, although the Lite seems to be selling 40% of the full thing, so there's some interest in cheaper handhelds.

The most popular GaaS titles are still played on PS4. They don't run well on NSW.

Just milk 30% on in game content. Add on content generates Sony more money than game sales.

To be clear, I'm not arguing this is a great plan! Just talking it through seeing what might or might not work. The problem with a current-gen platform that can take PS5 games is you end up with an expensive device and you'll taking NSW2 head on. I can't imagine more than a few million sales. However, the low-end handheld market may have been completely replaced with mobiles. It's hard to say as there are no players - NSW is still pricey, although the Lite seems to be selling 40% of the full thing, so there's some interest in cheaper handhelds.

Sure but if don't run well is the metric we are looking at a NSW2 using new nvidia hardware will run those better than a portable ps4 as would the current and future windows/steam handhelds.

Sure 30% on in game content is great but whats better is 30% off new games and in game content.

I think I have to disagree with you in terms of ssales for a ps5 or xbox series console. I think a lot of gamers who have invested in ps4/5 games would crave a ps5 portable since they can play their games on the go and maybe even give up that giant ps5 at home for it. Same with xbox series portable but with the added spice of game pass in the mix.

The switch hasn't really changed its price dispite even the windows handhelds playing its games emulated at higher resolutions and frame rates. Nintendo is lucky that young kids continue to buy them

All business has an element of luck. Nintendo are lucky that mobile hasn't wooed away their younger audience.

Sony is Working on a New PlayStation Handheld That Natively Runs PS4 Games – Rumour
Sony might be planning more forays into the portable gaming space, as per a journalist's fresh claims.

That’s as per Russian journalist Anton Logvinov, who has previously accurately leaked Sony-related stories, who has now claimed that Sony has another portable PlayStation device in the works. As per Legvinov, the device will have multiple PS4 titles in its launch lineup. Whether that means it will be able to run all PS4 games natively, or if it will be a separate system that Sony is porting PS4 titles to, is unclear.

As per Logvinov, retailers are currently “skeptical” about how the portable device will be received by the masses, though following the surprising success of the PlayStation Portal, you would imagine that Sony will want to expand its presence in the handheld space- or so one hopes, at any rate.
What? that crap was successful?

What? that crap was successful?
Haha ikr? By all accounts, it sold better than expected ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they release a portable that's not natively compatible with PS4 games, however, it's almost definitely dead in the water.

Otherwise, a 5nm device with an 8c16t CPU and a GPU architecture that matches that of the PS5Pro (albeit 18-20CU's) would give this thing some legs for quite a while. With a docked mode unlocking SMT and dual-SIMD, ideally with higher clockspeeds.

LPDDR6 on a 128 bit bus would do just fine in terms of bandwidth. But cost is certainly an issue there. Certainly as pertains to capacity.

From what I gather, the first batch of LPDDR6 is going to be expensive. 8GB would suffice as a PS4 portable, but 16GB would ensure it could trade blows with the Switch 2 for the lives of both devices.

Nintendos first party output is second to none. Got nothing to do with luck
I disagree

Nintendos first party line up on the switch is actually pretty weak. It consists of a lot of rereleases and that only worked because the wii u was such a disaster

I disagree

Nintendos first party line up on the switch is actually pretty weak. It consists of a lot of rereleases and that only worked because the wii u was such a disaster

• Super Mario Odyssey
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Kirby & the Forgotten Land
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Pikmin 4
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield
  • Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Detective Pikachu Returns
  • New Pokemon Snap
  • Splatoon 2
  • Splatoon 3
  • ARMS
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 WorldWide Classics
  • Wario Ware: Get it Together
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King
  • Mario Tennis Aces
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League
  • Nintendo Switch Sports
  • Wario Ware: Move it!
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  • Caedance of Hyrule
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Bayonetta Origins
  • Metroid Dread
  • Princess Peach: Showtime!
  • Super Mario Party
  • 1-2 Switch
  • Everybody 1-2 Switch
  • Mario Kart: Home Circuit
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Kirby Dream Buffet
  • Super Kirby Clash
  • Kirby Fighters 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Astral Chain
  • Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain
  • Sushi Striker: Way of Sushido
  • F-Zero 99
  • Snipperclips
  • Box Boy + Box Girl
  • Nintendo LABO
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
  • Good Job!
  • The Stretchers
  • Mario & Sonic at the 2020 Olympics
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

Last 3 are licensed but whatever. Thats PS3 level first party output

• Super Mario Odyssey
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Kirby & the Forgotten Land
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Pikmin 4
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield
  • Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Detective Pikachu Returns
  • New Pokemon Snap
  • Splatoon 2
  • Splatoon 3
  • ARMS
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 WorldWide Classics
  • Wario Ware: Get it Together
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King
  • Mario Tennis Aces
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League
  • Nintendo Switch Sports
  • Wario Ware: Move it!
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  • Caedance of Hyrule
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Bayonetta Origins
  • Metroid Dread
  • Princess Peach: Showtime!
  • Super Mario Party
  • 1-2 Switch
  • Everybody 1-2 Switch
  • Mario Kart: Home Circuit
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Kirby Dream Buffet
  • Super Kirby Clash
  • Kirby Fighters 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Astral Chain
  • Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain
  • Sushi Striker: Way of Sushido
  • F-Zero 99
  • Snipperclips
  • Box Boy + Box Girl
  • Nintendo LABO
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
  • Good Job!
  • The Stretchers
  • Mario & Sonic at the 2020 Olympics
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

Last 3 are licensed but whatever. Thats PS3 level first party output
And then you realize how many of those games are just Updates to Wii U and WII titles or don't even work on the switch light.
Heck F-zero 99 is a new mode for a Super nintendo game.

But hey list wars are always fun esp when no one defines what we are talking about. To me that is a weak line up. It's by far the weakest of the consoles out there and I am a huge nintendo fan.

And then you realize how many of those games are just Updates to Wii U and WII titles or don't even work on the switch light.

Despite that, there is a large amount of diehard fans that eat it all up with a smile in their face.

If I were sony, and wanted to junp into the switch/steamdeck product category, I'd base it on the PS5 Architecture, and strip it down as much as possible while still maintaining native compatibility with PS4 titles. Not PS4 pro, but vanilla PS4. Instant huge digial library available from day one. But new titles could use the modern arch niceties (SSD streaming and RT to name the most obvious ones) for modern releases. Many devs will be making stripped down ports of PS5 titles for the switch 2 anyways.

Last edited:
Despite that, there is a large amount of diehard fans that eat it all up with a smile in their face.
Is it a large amount of diehard fans ? I wonder how popular FZero actually is and some of the other games out there.

But hey list wars are always fun esp when no one defines what we are talking about. To me that is a weak line up. It's by far the weakest of the consoles out there and I am a huge nintendo fan.

The only game i know on that list that was on Wii U is Breath of the wild.

Its irrelevant what you think. Switch has sold 140 million units. Mario Wonder sold millions despite Switch being on its last legs

the sales numbers speak for themselves, metacritic ratings speak for themselves

The only game i know on that list that was on Wii U is Breath of the wild.

Its irrelevant what you think. Switch has sold 140 million units. Mario Wonder sold millions despite Switch being on its last legs

the sales numbers speak for themselves, metacritic ratings speak for themselves

3 out of the top 5 sellers on the switch are wii u titles

3 out of the top 5 sellers on the switch are wii u titles

False. But ultimately irrelevant, what is the argument you are trying to make? That Switch doesn't have enough "new" games for your taste? Ok noted eastmen from b3d is not impressed with Switch. Lets see that knockoff Rog Ally get launched by Microsoft so we can compare data and not opinions

False. But ultimately irrelevant, what is the argument you are trying to make? That Switch doesn't have enough "new" games for your taste? Ok noted eastmen from b3d is not impressed with Switch. Lets see that knockoff Rog Ally get launched by Microsoft so we can compare data and not opinions
No. I am saying that Nintendo's output is pretty lack luster this generation and its on the strength of reselling already released games from their biggest failure that helped them this generation.

Build quality aside I am not sure what your beef is with the ROG ally. The breath of titles on the ROG Ally is far better than on the switch.

Back