hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
*/movies at IGN

32568am.jpg

29199qo.jpg

75650ox.jpg

69417kw.jpg

Woah. Looks kickass. I've been wanting to play a Moto GP'esque game on the consoles. For some reason the PC versions of these games turned me off. I'm a Gran Turismo fanatic so I wonder if this game will offer the depth that GT would give. Oh....AND HOW MANY BIKES ARE THERE IN THE GAME :devilish:

how many bikes?

334654 billion :D

probably a lot.. strange nobody posted info on this game (i didnt even know it existed)

hey69 said:
how many bikes?

334654 billion :D

probably a lot.. strange nobody posted info on this game (i didnt even know it existed)

I think I heard some rumblings but nothing solid. I'm going to have fun playing this. Knowing Polyphony though...before getting to the meat and bones of the game, you'll have to get "Super Special License A" which was followed by 10 other licenses :devilish: . "Super Special License S" will probably require us to go through every singe track in the game and take each turn perfectly to make a specified time :oops:

hey69 said:
strange nobody posted info on this game (i didnt even know it existed)

It was first announced during TGS week: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23582&highlight=trophy You missed it? I guess it was over look due to all the "next-gen" buzz.

Looking at Poly's track record in the genre, I think the game would look almost as good as those Photo mode type screens, but with less AA effects. Doesn't a bike take less resources than a car model? But then again, they would probably double the amount on each race (12+?). But I wonder how they're going to approach/simulate the physics. Novice would probably be rolling all over the road if it's too realistic.

.Z

-NakedZ- said:
Looking at Poly's track record in the genre, I think the game would look almost as good as those Photo mode type screens, but with less AA effects. Doesn't a bike take less resources than a car model?
I'd have said no as there's more intricate geometry than a smooth covering.

But I wonder how they're going to approach/simulate the physics. Novice would probably be rolling all over the road if it's too realistic.
The guy in charge (forget his name) was saying that they'll be introducing bikes gradually from easy to hard, to let gamers develop their skills. It's certainly targetted at total novices it seems.

DOF on PS2 is really nothing new... It's been done for ages, it's one of those "cheap" framebuffer effects PS2 can do better than many other architectures.

Anyway, i would think that meshes for motorbikes could require a lot more geometry than cars. It obviously depends on the level of detail, but bikes have lots of "bits and pieces" sticking out, which would take a lot of geometry to replicate properly. Add to that the polygons count for the riders and i'd expect the polygon count for this game to be potentially quite a bit higher than GT4, which by the way is not exactly a polygon monster either, quite the opposite in fact, as nAo can testify.

overclocked said:
Funny thought it was a new game for PS3 before i read further down.

Wow so does that mean some next-gen games don't look that good or is it that this game looks leagues better than current gen games?

mckmas8808 said:
Wow so does that mean some next-gen games don't look that good or is it that this game looks leagues better than current gen games?

Uhm... I'm not sure how anyone can mistake those for PS3 shots. They're small shots, obviously doctored with insane amounts of AA applied to them, but what's there (the models, textures etc) is definately PS2-quality. With some cool DOF effects, which again is nothing new and was done in the first year of PS2, and in a launch game on Xbox.

The thing is that DOF is one of the new "cool" terms used on next gen consoles, i expect it to be vastly overused, but it really is nothing new. So now, any shot with DOF gets the "next gen" label. Bit like water effects this last generation.

Maybe some of us still don't know what is really going to be possible on next gen consoles, to think that this looks like PS3... :D

This game looks so good mostly because of the DOF and AA, the quality of which may well be substantially lower in the real PS2 game. I'm not sure how they're managing the DOF. Looks to me, within the limits of these grabs, as a uniform blur across anything that's background, basically rendering the background, blurring, and rendering the cyclist over the top. It doesn't ATM look like a proper progressive DOF. AA certainly won't be as nice by a long stretch. The poly counts are very current gen, and the high contrast lighting plus simple scenery disguised by the DOF adds to the realism without being technically demanding.

Graphically I don't think it's any better than GT4 save for the DOF which might be replay only. Nice as it is it's not going to be confused with a next-gen game when this hits the shelves. And personally I get really miffed with these extra-polish dev shots; it's halfway lying about the in-game visuals.

Shifty Geezer said:
This game looks so good mostly because of the DOF and AA, the quality of which may well be substantially lower in the real PS2 game. I'm not sure how they're managing the DOF. Looks to me, within the limits of these grabs, as a uniform blur across anything that's background, basically rendering the background, blurring, and rendering the cyclist over the top. It doesn't ATM look like a proper progressive DOF.

That's what i was thinking. It seems like the system does "Motorbike+rider=sharp; everything else=blurry". That's not really what DOF is for.

If you look at the MGS4 video, you'll see that for example when Snake raises his hand towards the camera, the view has his face in focus, the hand out of focus (blurry) and the DOF gradually changes in between the 2. Also the background is blurry as it is out of focus. Now THAT's real DOF done right. And it looks great, if only a bit too pronounced.

No kidding guys someone on another board actually trolled this game by saying something like "the PS3 isn't so great now" or something like that. I don't see why people think this is a PS3 game.

overclocked said:
Funny thought it was a new game for PS3 before i read further down.
I think in HD with that AA and features it could pass for a 1st gen next-gen title. That was my thoughts as well. Of course in motion lighting and other subtle effects can really show a big difference. Prebaked graphics like on the current gen look nice... standing still.

Back