PlayStation Camera: What are the benefits?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Lucid_Dreamer, Nov 7, 2013.

1. SlimJim

Banned

lol, :p so true.
    Btw I already imagined a single dual 'zoom' attachment that would slide over the PS4 eye.. er.. PS4 eyes , with holes for the mic-array. But thinking about it: you would need to keep sitting within a 'frame', and at the normal tv-viewing/gaming distance, I don't think the current resolution is high enough to accurately discern eye movement.. :sad:

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Actually, with two cameras you could zoom one for eye tracking and keep the other for full body tracking (as long as the player stays fairly stationary). Really don't see it happening for practicality reasons though.

3. -tkf-

Legend

So I got the ps eye today, it's tiny compared to my Kinect no idea what the size is like compared to Kinect 2.

It doesn't come with a stand but can be tilted if needed, however because it is so light the cable makes it a bit cumbersome to do right, which is why they sell a separate stand at please milk me prices.

Playroom is free and fun for a very short time (based on my kids) but the tracking seems precise. And with a microphone in my room I can finally shout at my Playstation. If I use a slightly British accent it works the best :)

Still need to set up the login based on face :)

4. 2real4tv

Veteran

Why would you get the eye and not the new one?

5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I'm sure he means the new camera. I've not read anything to suggest the PS3 Eye works with the PS4 and I'm certain even if it did, Play Room wouldn't work with such an imprecise device.

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Old one couldn't be tilted.

Liking the camera so far myself. Logging in is cool, and for streaming it works well, Playroom is fun (especially the small robots).

7. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

Yes it could.

8. pMax

Regular Newcomer

I highly doubt that - even the connector is different.

9. Lucid_Dreamer

Veteran

The U.K. PS Camera doesn't come with the stand? The U.S. version definitely has one. It's in the YouTube unboxing videos. I have one with mine.

10. DSoup

DSoup meh

I got the camera in a console pack (Killzone, 2x DS4, camera) and it didn't come with a stand. What does a stand do that the inbuilt tilt doesn't offer?

11. Lucid_Dreamer

Veteran

The stand can allow for TV bezel mounting, among resolving other stabilization issues.

12. -tkf-

Legend

It's the one for the PS4

13. TheWretched

Regular

Well, the original camera is standard USB, and PS4 certainly has those. Would make sense, for BC of the Move controller, to at least support it for games that don't need the new camera. Not sure if there's already a game for that, though. Maybe that dance game.

14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

The UK PS website calls it the PlayStation Camera. It's not even featured on the US website! :shock:

15. DrJay24

Veteran

It lets you attach it to the top of the TV. It is nice, kind of a multi-elbow soft grip thingy.

16. DSoup

DSoup meh

Ah I see. My TV is on a cabinet and the camera just sits in front. It's working well and I'm beginning to use voice a bit more although it's rarely much of a time saver than pressing a few buttons.

"PlayStation Homescreen" is getting a bit of use when I pick up the phone to talk to somebody, as that effectively pauses anything. It's also quite flexible about starting games e.g. the following all work for starting Assassin's Creed:
    • "PlayStation Play Assassins Creed Four"
    • "PlayStation Play AC Four"
    • "PlayStation Play Black Flag"
    I think it's doing voice to text then comparing the text to titles in your library for best/likely match. I also like that when you're speaking to it in the Dynamic Menu interface the 'listening' bar pops up at the bottom with some other prompts for what you might want to do and the sound meter for your voice.

#116 DSoup, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
  17. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Does voice recognition work while offline?

18. DSoup

DSoup meh

Tested it and yes it does.

"PlayStation Home Screen" then "Back To Game" rinse and repeat works as fluidly as Microsoft demod Kinect switching between Forza and the Xbox One's menu system. It appears that once you've got it's attention and give it a voice command it stays in 'listen mode' for a few seconds and the next command doesn't need to be prefaced by "PlayStation".

It's just a shame that "PlayStation" is a mouthful compared to "Xbox" :| I would prefer "Oi" so please fix that, Sony.

19. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

What about game titles?

20. DSoup

DSoup meh

Yup, also works. I even tried the games i've never said or started (FIFA 14 demo). So it's not based on streaming audio to a server like Google's voice search or Siri.