Play's Killzone article

Rediscover

Newcomer
There's 6 new screenshots of a city enviroment, with big huge ass buildings, looks dead impressive, anyway the article.

We've been hurt so many times before. That succulent Danish pastry that tasted of dry rot, that stunningly attractive, witty and intelligent girl who turned out to be our long lost sister, everything but the tanker level of Metal Gear Solid 2. What failed us is our willingness to believe, we so want to believe and bit-by-bit it's killing us.

But we won't be fooled again and so we approach this Next Big Thing with phasers set to sceptical and one eye on the nearest exit. This is Killzone and if hype were water then prepare to enter monsoon season. This first-person shooter has already been touted as a Halo beater, not only by us (sorry about that) but also by what seems like the entire Internet community. It's almost totally unnecessary though since Killzone won't be with us until next Christmas when Xbox owners should be enjoying Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, Halo 2. If you really want to play Halo, then you've got plenty of time to save up and buy the right machine for the job. Can we say this in a single-format magazine? Well, it might not be a popular or correct thing to do but it does have the added bonus of being the truth. Back to Killzone and a game that really is looking far too good for anyone's benefit. For the first time ever on the PlayStation 2 someone is developing a first-person shooter that seems to have everything bang on.

The game is set in the not so far of future so, and this gets us very excited, there won't be any beam weapons available to the player. We can't think of a FPS that has features both laser or plasma as well as ballistic guns where we actually preferred shooting globes or lines of light at a target. Given the choice it's bullets all the way and this is something that Killzone's developer Guerrilla understands to a wonderful degree. Even at this stage we can tell that the design of the game's available arsenal has been taken on by someone who knows and understands how an anti-aircraft gun can be beautiful, how the components that make up an assault rifle can be inspiring. But all the cordite in the world can stops an alluring arsenal from feeling less than satisfying the moment you pull the trigger. Too much recoil and you feel that you're playing the role of a small child who has found daddies gun cabinet, to little and your sense of disbelief can't handle consecutive shots hitting the same location time and time again.

Guerrilla know this and have not only given each piece of destructive hardware their own handling characteristics, each weapon will perform differently depending on who's using it. That's right, you can play as different characters, each one is adept at different tasks. One may be deadly with a pistol while rather loose with a rocket launcher, or vice versa. Don't worry that the wrong choice at the beginning of the game will lead you to a section where you'll have to shoot a wart of a fleas arse from 1000 metres though, your going to war as a team of four so if your not up to the immediate task at hand you know that one of your comrades will be. And with the mention of team-based combat a shivers shoots down your spine. It's not surprising really, before Freedom Fighters we had yet to see such a game mechanic implemented with any form of fluency in a game. In Frontline other soldiers were purely cosmetic, in Red Faction 2 they were just plain annoying. Sometimes they'd behave in a realistic and acceptable way, the other they would stand between you and the target, acting for the entire world like a human shield for the enemy.

In Killzone the player is the star, the player is the lead actor and reason for everyone else's existence. Sure, your buddies will help out, but they won't steal the show from you and they won't storm to far forward in an attempt to hijack your glory. They won't die on you either since their artificial intelligence will tell them to return to your flank when situations get hot, that, and because they just can't die, full stop. This isn't Guerrilla's vain attempt to shield you from the horrors of war, it's just there way of stopping you playing medic for the duration of the game. For that you sort of action you can wait for Mediczone, which will never be released because we just made it up. What we haven't just invented for the purpose of poor comedy is that Killzone's AI is set to be superlative. We've heard tales of intelligence so many times before and we know that there is a difference between acute AI and the semblance of acute AI. For the purpose of the player it doesn't matter that on in game entity is smart, it just has to appear that it is.

In Freedom Fighters your teammates look as if they are deciding a course of action. They hide behind objects, take turns to enter rooms and generally act as if they know what they are doing. The trick is that they really don't and that what you are really seeing is a far simpler set of calculations rather than anything that can be deemed true intelligence. The clue to Killzone's intended use of AI is in its name. In military terms a Killzone is the area of an ambush site where the enemy can expect to receive 95% casualties. This can relate to an attack with small arms as well as one using shaped explosive charges. This takes planning. It isn't something performed by running from the beginning of a level to the end while killing everything that dares cross your path like an Ikari Warrior suffering a Vietnam flashback. Your team is going to have to be far more tactical to survive. And since you don't tell your teammates directly what to do and have to rely on their own smarts. Of course we could also take clues from Killzone's former name of Kin and suggest that levels will involve you and your team creating a greater sense of family by exchanging gifts with the enemy, but that would be blatantly ridiculous. You've seen the screenshots and you can see the game has a distinctive look.

This is down to two points. The first is the use of technology. Each character is drawn with three levels a texture detail in their skin. As they get closer to you the lower resolution detail is faded out, higher resolution faded in. This means that at any range you know you'll be looking at some of the most detailed characters the PS2 has ever seen. Texture work throughout will be of a high standard more akin to game's that rely on you running along set paths than those that must deal with providing eye-candy through a constant 360 degrees. Think Metal gear Solid 2 first-person mode, but with more details, even in the details. The character design itself is of a scope and quality that already looks well beyond anything that has emerged from Konami's stable. Guerilla's insistence on keeping the game's arsenal within the realms of feasibility flows into the design of the soldiers themselves whose kit has been taken from images of men at war from across the twentieth century. This chimerical approach shows perfectly in the way that World War one-style gas masks have been blended with modern night vision goggles, which are then topped of with a re-imagining of a standard US Marine helmet. By refusing to make these characters too fantastical in either their appearance or behaviour the developers have created a look that is so strong as to give it iconic status. This is the look of a FPS on a PS2 - and the game is not even out yet.

With its haunting military design and looks that look almost too good to be true we're reminded of games of the Amiga era that showed equal promise. This is where we feel we must err on the side of caution. Anyone remember Rise of the Robots? Shadow of the Beast? Microcosm?

We do, we read magazines that hyped these games that looked unfeasibly good only to find out that the actual images in the magazine where around sixty percent more fun than the actual games could ever hope to be. Yes, we're still angry but our point is that at this stage we really want Killzone to be The Best Thing Ever. We really do. Then we see how the release date of "next Christmas" which in our books puts it almost in the year 2005, especially if it slips (which obviously NEVER happens to anticipated titles). If you take into account substantial rumours that the big three developers are expecting some form of PlayStation 3 technology this Christmas, then you can see we have something quite intriguing here. Obviously this is purely from the rumour mill that we've created but it wouldn't surprise us if Killzone ended up as a launch title for the PlayStation 3. Either this is to be the case, or it just won't be as good as it looks. We don't want to sound too pessimistic, but we've been hurt before.

Screw scans--they're just making me anxious. At this point I figure I need to ignore the game until it's out and I can TELL how good it is.

Killzone is turning heads.. and it must be the first time people actually put themselves into the position "not to hype" the game, although they struggle to hype it at the same time... if u know what i mean...
personally, it would take a hell of a lot for me to LOVE a FPS, especially on PS2. but that's just me...

Deepak said:
Wasn't a KZ video supposed to come out on 1st Oct????????

It was, but Sony are in negotiations with IG Productions, so they can't release any moving images of Killzone until certain issues have been resolved.

It was, but Sony are in negotiations with IG Productions, so they can't release any moving images of Killzone until certain issues have been resolved.
Can you ellaborate a bit on this (even vaguely). Who are IG Productions, and why do they have any say in this?

Hey marconelly... I am new here but I will take the liberty of ellaborating on Rediscover's post.

IG Productions is the animation company that put out such anime hits as Ghost in the Shell and Jin-Roh. As you may have heard, the Helghast troops in Killzone look fairly similar to the soldiers featured in Jin-Roh. So it has been rumored that character design rights problems are being discussed between SCEE and IG Productions and as a result no KZ video will be shown until 2004. (Which really sucks!)

Hopefully IG Productions will lighten up seeing as how the character designs only have one thing in common and that is the dark WWI-style oxygen masks with the glowing eyes... and maybe if the situation is ironed out quickly we will see the video that was intended to be shown on Oct. 1 before the year is over! I'm crossing my fingers.

Oh, and since I am new here I have a quick question. Weren't you, marconelly, one of the few who has seen Killzone in action back before the game was announced?

And Rediscover, do you have this new issue of Play? If so could you PLEASE PLEASE scan the new pics?! I would but the new issue isn't out anywhere near me. =(

ScOULaris, no I haven't seen the game in action, I've only seen certain pictures couple of weeks before they got publically available.

Thanks for clarifying, and that's right now that you've mentioned GITS, I remember who IG productions are, I just wasn't thinking in that direction. I think they might as well be having problems with Ninja Gaiden and Manhunt then, as they both feature fairly simillar characters to those in Jin-Roh, with gas masks and glowing eyes, but what can you do...

*edit* I have just remembered, IG Productions are the same people responsible for the anime sequence in Kill Bill, and unholy mother of satan, that sequence kicks all seven flavors of ass. Those IG guys are truly amazing.

n_screen029.jpg

manhunt_screen002.jpg

Yeah I wouldn't be too surprised if IGP went after Rockstar and Sega next... I just think companies are too uptight nowadays regarding liscenses and whatnot. Not to say I don't respect and admire what IG Productions has done for anime, I just think they should lay off SCEE/Guerrilla because they obviously don't have grounds for a lawsuit or anything.

And about the animation of O-Ren's past in Kill Bill... I thought that was excellent as well much like the rest of the movie. Tarrentino is one of my all time favorite directors and I think Kill Bill might be his best work yet. But back to the subject at hand...

I can not stress enough how badly I want to see the 6 new pics that Rediscover mentioned were shown in Play. Please scan them somebody! If nobody does I sure will whenever I see the November issue in stores. I am surprised that Play is hyping a non-Xbox game for once. I am not dissing Play really but I think they have always overrated and embellished Xbox games a little more than is appropriate in a multi-platform magazine.

And one more thing to marconelly... how were you able to see the pics before anyone back in the beginning of summer? And if you have some sort of connections, why haven't you seen anything else that we haven't seen? Didn't you have some of the pics from the first top-secret VHS tape of KZ that were never released or was that someone else? (TTX? I forgot his name...)

Either way I will be checking updates on this thread all the time and I am glad to be a member here!

Hehe thanx... I just forgot because Killzone discussion has died down quite a bit on this board. But you have seen the game in motion? If so, are you still obligated not to talk about what you saw?

I am really bummed that a video was so close finally being released and ending the hype for better or worse but then Production I.G. (PIG... ;) ) had to cause trouble. Oh well... Oh, here's something funny, over on the PSXNation boards there is a guy named Nirey who has been claiming for a long time that he actually PLAYED Killzone and that it was a below-average game in terms of both graphics and gameplay. Now he very well might be telling the truth because various people have been invited to Amsterdam to play the game, but he has never given ANY evidence of playing it and he blames SCEE's secrecy deal for that. :rolleyes:

Well, I will keep searching for that infamous November issue of Play!

Rediscover, it has been confirmed by various people now that the new issue of Play with that article doesn't have ANY new screenshots in it. So, what is going on? Were you lying? Which Play magazine were you talking about, the American or the English version?

Something's fishy around here... it would be very strange if Rediscover was just plain lying about the pics... :?

ScOULaris said:
over on the PSXNation boards there is a guy named Nirey who has been claiming for a long time that he actually PLAYED Killzone and that it was a below-average game in terms of both graphics and gameplay.

This proves he didn't even see it in motion.

Rediscover are you there? I am still waiting to here from you about those 6 pics that you said were in the new Play... more than 5 people have told me that the Play with that article you posted didn't have any new pics at all. So what's the dealy? 8)

what's the deal? he probably missed out on the fact that they weren't even new in the first place...

The Offical PS2 mag UK had loads of pics some time ago, some of them i havent seen online... still, anyone care explaining to me what exactly is going on in this thread? why is Rediscover always talking like a Sony PR guy?
he was the one with the "exclusive" Ghosthunter pictures right...
is he really a Sony employee or what? if so, wouldnt it be a bit dangerous for him to post "internal" information?? i cant talk about details of what i do at work, and i "only" work for an insurance company... :D

london-boy said:
... i cant talk about details of what i do at work, and i "only" work for an insurance company... :D
You mean you actually do something at work, apart from writing at B3D gaming forum? ;)

rabidrabbit said:
london-boy said:
... i cant talk about details of what i do at work, and i "only" work for an insurance company... :D
You mean you actually do something at work, apart from writing at B3D gaming forum? ;)

well, i can't disclose details about what i don't do :LOL: :LOL:
i DO work!!!! i'm just so efficient that i need to wait around for other people quite a lot while they're doing stuff, a bit like processors being too fast for the rest of the system, remaining idle while waiting for the next batch of data from the slower adiacent processors....
wow what a comparison..... psycho or what... :LOL:

Back