Planning an upgrade

I got everything, and the system is up and running @2.21ghz (3200+), for the moment. Sure kicks the ass of my old 1.3/GeForce3 :D

The whole thing went very smoothly, except for one thing- the 9800pro! I tested it on my 1.3, and was able to get a nice overclock with no visual anomalies. Then on this system, I fire up UT2k3 and even at the default speed there are still a few visual errors of the type associated with memory overclock. Needless to say, I was pretty peeved after having spent 400 bucks on a card that didn't want to run on my new system even at stock speeds :devilish:

Well, at first I thought it was case heat. But I think figured it out- I had my Panaflo (using a standard 4 pin connector), a small PCI slot fan, and the 9800pro were all running off the same rail (I think that's what they're called). It must have been too much for this 380w PSU. I switched the 9800pro to a rail with my HDD and case LED on it, and now it's running perfectly at 416/371. I wonder how high I can push it? What's the biggest benefit, memory or core overclock?

Man, UT2k3 and Unreal 2 at 1280x768, max AA max filtering, all the bells and whistles... it's such an improvement :devilish:

Just out of curiosity, how happy are you with gaming on your LCD (model?)?

Have you tried a wide variety of games? Ghosting? How about 3dmark2003 or splinter cell? How do those dark style of games look/perform?

Johnny Rotten said:

Have you tried a wide variety of games? Ghosting? How about 3dmark2003 or splinter cell? How do those dark style of games look/perform?

I originally got a Sony PED (response time 22ms), then took it back and got a Samsung LTM1755w (25ms. That one had some problems that I couldn't live with, so I actually ended up getting the PED back. My first Sony had a single dead pixel, but this one has none so it worked out nicely, eh? Especially considering that the PED was only half the price :D

At first it took some getting used to. Text and non-gaming stuff in general is so much better, of course, but I did notice that blacks aren't as good. In fact, on the Samsung blacks were more of a brown. But now I don't even notice that I'm on an LCD.

Stuff I've tried:

Neverwinter Nights
Unreal Tournament 2003
Shogo
Unreal 2
3dmark2002 (scored a 6202 :))
ePSXe
ZSNES
several DVDs

UT2k3/U2/NWN are awesome-looking in widescreen, and ghosting isn't really a problem with vsync on. I do turn everything up until my fps are around 40 or so, however (impossible to do in UT2k3, unfortunately), but even in that case it's not bad.

The dark scenes in 3dmark and Unreal 2 were a little hard to distinguish some fine detal. That's the only real gripe I have about IQ. But overall I'm happy with gaming on an LCD. It's attractive, it's flat, I have full HDTV support, and when I have to move things around I'm not breaking my back (I originally planned on getting a 24 inch Sony CRT widescreen).

Ozymandis said:
Johnny Rotten said:

I originally got a Sony PED (response time 22ms), then took it back and got a Samsung LTM1755w (25ms. That one had some problems that I couldn't live with, so I actually ended up getting the PED back. My first Sony had a single dead pixel, but this one has none so it worked out nicely, eh? Especially considering that the PED was only half the price :D

At first it took some getting used to. Text and non-gaming stuff in general is so much better, of course, but I did notice that blacks aren't as good. In fact, on the Samsung blacks were more of a brown. But now I don't even notice that I'm on an LCD.

Stuff I've tried:

Neverwinter Nights
Unreal Tournament 2003
Shogo
Unreal 2
3dmark2002 (scored a 6202 :))
ePSXe
ZSNES
several DVDs

UT2k3/U2/NWN are awesome-looking in widescreen, and ghosting isn't really a problem with vsync on. I do turn everything up until my fps are around 40 or so, however (impossible to do in UT2k3, unfortunately), but even in that case it's not bad.

The dark scenes in 3dmark and Unreal 2 were a little hard to distinguish some fine detal. That's the only real gripe I have about IQ. But overall I'm happy with gaming on an LCD. It's attractive, it's flat, I have full HDTV support, and when I have to move things around I'm not breaking my back (I originally planned on getting a 24 inch Sony CRT widescreen).

How many games support 16:9 resolutions (1280x768)? I remember playing RTCW at an Apple store on a 16:9 Cinema Display, and that was yummy :D

How about DIVX movies encoded in widescreen format (like 720x480 or so)? Do they play with black bars?

zurich said:
How many games support 16:9 resolutions (1280x768)? I remember playing RTCW at an Apple store on a 16:9 Cinema Display, and that was yummy :D

How about DIVX movies encoded in widescreen format (like 720x480 or so)? Do they play with black bars?

Well, a lot of games support WXGA if you load the monitor's .inf file, but as for games that properly display it here are some I can verify:

Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal 2
Quake 3
Heavy Metal FAKK2
Neverwinter Nights
Devastation (sniper rifle reticles are stretched, but the game itself looks right)

Divx movies will play without black bars. Well actually like DVDs, it depends on how they were encoded. If the aspect ratio is actually 16:9 or even higher (horizontally) there will still be black bars, just not nearly as large.

Back