Planet found in Earth's nearest neighbour star system

A 100-meter telescope is technically within the means of our disposal to construct. It's more an issue of economics than anything else.

Nothing we could realistically put out into space would compare with the sheer massiveness of a 100m telescope. Space telescopes have their own disadvantages too, one being they're impossible to service now that the US space shuttle is out of commission. Something breaks on that multi-billion scope, it'll stay broken forever, perhaps rendering the whole thing useless.

Seti Astronomer: We Will Receive Radio Contact from Aliens Within 20 Years
What an idiot. I hope they're not getting paid for this.
1.3 billion for that telescope!
Come on they could of brought 7% of what's app for that.
The fools

Super-earths beyond Pluto? New discovery hints they might exist

Astronomers have discovered a new dwarf planet in the distant reaches of our solar system. The discovery of 2012 VP113 was made by Scott Sheppard of the Carnegie Institution for Science and Chadwick Trujillo of the Gemini Observatory.

The observations that led to the discovery of 2012 VP113 were obtained by the Dark Energy Camera on the NOAO 4-meter telescope in Chile, which has the largest field-of-view of any 4-meter or larger telescope, allowing it to scrutinize great expanses of sky for very faint objects. The orbit of 2012 VP113 was ascertained using follow-up observations by the Magellan 6.5-meter telescope at Carnegie’s Las Campanas Observatory.

These people, who knows what they know about, but keep a lot in secrets... :rolleyes:

Why would they keep secrets, what would be their motivation?

Also, why would there be super-earths outside pluto just because they have found another dwarf planet? That doesn't make sense.

Why would they keep secrets, what would be their motivation?

Because I have read quite interesting things about possible existing planets out there and it is so interesting that it can very easily arouse people's imaginations. :D :LOL:
I am not going to tell you that it is of their interest to keep people ill-informed.

Also, why would there be super-earths outside pluto just because they have found another dwarf planet? That doesn't make sense.

It doens't make sense for you because you didn't read the article? It says why.

Intriguingly, the orbital similarities among Sedna, 2012 VP113, and several other objects at the edge of the Kuiper Belt suggest the existence of a much more massive object shepherding them. This hypothetical body could be a Super Earth or larger planet hundreds of AU out.

The outer Oort cloud is distinguished from the inner because in the outer, beginning at about 1,500 AU, objects’ orbits are disturbed by the gravity of nearby stars. Thus, objects in the outer Oort cloud have orbits that shift dramatically over time.
Many comets that pass by Earth every now and then were lobbed out of the outer Oort cloud. Objects in the inner Oort cloud, such as Sedna and 2012 VP113, are not nearly so susceptible to the gravity of other stars and enjoy more stable orbits.

I saw something on TV a few months back where a team of astronomers is trying to get an image of the black hole at the center of our galaxy. Now that would be pretty cool!

As far as I'm concerned, I think we should dump more money into space research, not less.

I am not going to tell you that it is of their interest to keep people ill-informed.
Good, because why on earth would that be the case? ;)

It doens't make sense for you because you didn't read the article? It says why.
I didn't read the article because your headline and quoted text sounded like a baseless speculation non sequitur, and I've never heard of the website you linked to either (there's a lot of sites out there that basically just invents shit for the articles they post up.) However, I'll go have a look-see just to make you happy. :D

This is all over the news in science sites and nerdy news aggregators.

Too bad you didn't quote orbital characteristic.. Well, the article is really crap!, it doesn't. It must be a click-bait site.

Prior to the discovery of 2012 VP113, the only known dwarf planet beyond the Kuiper Belt was Sedna, which was discovered in 2003 and orbits the Sun at 76 AU.

Lazy ass incomplete reporting.. Sedna is at 76 AU, but that's its perihelion, its orbit is highly elliptic and goes to about 1000 AU. 937 AU to be precise, and the orbit lasts 11400 years.
76 AU is far off already, much farther than all trans-neptunian, Kuiper object, but that it goes back and forth to ~1000 AU is totally crazy, and abnormal. It's a region between Kuiper belt and Oort cloud that should be empty.

Sedna could have been a fluke, an exceptional anomaly. The discovery of VP113, perihelion 80 AU, aphelion 446 AU (that needs to be refined) means Sedna is not a one-of-a-kind object and there are problably hundreds or thousands of them, most invisible because they're so far off in their cycle.

There really might be an unknown planet, I've seen 5 earth masses or 10 earth masses quoted around, though we wouldn't know exactly why it's here (possibly ejected out of the inner solar system by Jupiter and other influences). Or a star passing by the solar system threw these objects from Oort cloud billions years ago.

There's been no mention of this at Ars Technica, and they frequently cover astronomy-related news. Hence my scepticness...or however you phrase it. (Scepticisy? FFS... :p)

There really might be an unknown planet, I've seen 5 earth masses or 10 earth masses quoted around, though we wouldn't know exactly why it's here (possibly ejected out of the inner solar system by Jupiter and other influences). Or a star passing by the solar system threw these objects from Oort cloud billions years ago.
from wiki

Dimensions 300–1000 km[3]
450 km (assumed)[3]
636 km[4]
586 km[5]

so nearly impossible to be earthmassed, just a big rock a lot smaller than our moon

Good, because why on earth would that be the case? ;)

I didn't read the article because your headline and quoted text sounded like a baseless speculation non sequitur, and I've never heard of the website you linked to either (there's a lot of sites out there that basically just invents shit for the articles they post up.) However, I'll go have a look-see just to make you happy. :D

This is scandalous! :devilish:

I would be happy if you open your eyes, and remove the pink glasses. They are useless. :LOL:

140bz1f.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26872184

Saturn's Enceladus moon hides 'great lake' of water

Still wondering, do Aliens really exist? Maybe on televisions or movies. lol. just kidding. They probably do, but i still don't understand why with this huge infinite galaxy, we still haven't found other creatures on other planets. I 100% believe there are many creatures (probably like us) that also live in their own world. But anyways, hopefully with more advanced technology, we finally manage to find other creatures besides us on this earth.

They probably do, but i still don't understand why with this huge infinite galaxy, we still haven't found other creatures on other planets

Some say that the alien races (it is not one or two) who watch our civilisation's development have an agreement not to interact with us, because they don't wanna influence.

But it doesn't mean that the military (for example) don't know things which the public doesn't.

And even then, our technical equipment is probably way too primitive to directly observe any life traces on planets which are way beyond in the outer space. Not yet, perhaps in 10 years we will be better equipped, for this.

Back