Planet found in Earth's nearest neighbour star system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nutball, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

They'd probably be thinking something along the lines of:

"What? It's so hot over there that H2O is naturally found in liquid state?!?!?! Fuck that, let's stay home!"

2. UniversalTruth

Veteran

3. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

"And methane is a gas!! Apparently those earthlings fart that stuff out!!"

4. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Yeas, very funny. Our scientists agree that we know only Life based on liquid water.

We cannot be sure that there can be life without liquid water, so that means that your proposed aliens for now can exist only in animations. :lol:

About the post above mine - it's disgusting, people !

5. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

They apparently only get 0.1% of the light we get? That might be more of an issue ... (well -400C seems a bit chilly too).

6. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Deep sea creatures don't get much light either. ;)

u wot

7. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Hmm, perhaps -240C then, or -400F :) And true. And considering the mountains, there does seem to be some kind of heat-related activity, so it is actually not impossible that there is life there.

AlBran likes this.
  8. UniversalTruth

Veteran

I am sure that for real aliens search, they will focus on Jupiter's moon Europa. There is plenty of liquid water there, as much as would like. :lol:

Yes, 400 degrees below zero can only be F, because officially the absolute zero in C is way above that.

9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I'm sure there is life on a lot of planets but need to actually dig down to find them. I recall reading a theory about how asteroids 'seed' life planet to planet. The bacterium/or whatever it is can survive long voyages in space and when the asteroids crash into planets they begin to flourish again. If this theory is somewhat correct, all these planets should have life of some format.

10. UniversalTruth

Veteran

I am not sure that theory is plausible. There are theories which make perfect sense and are smart while others are pure rubbish.
    Ok, question - how did life appear on those asteroids, in the first place ?

And second question - have you noticed that some scientists pretend that they don't know how all the water appeared on our planet ? Where did it come from ? They are looking for it coming from outer space.
    When actually the explanation is very easy, and I was taught with it in my childhood - the water was just a part of all the planet disc - when our planet cooled sufficiently, it began to rain for millions of years, and that's how the oceans and water cycle appeared.

11. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

What on earth are you on about? Pretending they don't know??

12. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Sorry, I do not understand your remark. What should have I said?

That they are silly and it is impossible that all the water came via comets? Or that they lie ?

13. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

I think the problem is that you are accusing professional scientists of lying on the grounds that what they say today conflicts with what you were told in high school however many years ago that was.

14. UniversalTruth

Veteran

It was actually from the very beginning, in primary and secondary schools. Via encyclopedias, perhaps written by the same scientists.

15. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Right, but the point of science is that the current best understanding changes with time. Hopefully always improving, though sometimes taking side tracks that don't lead anywhere. That means that what you hear today quite probably be different from what you heard back then, because understanding today is (hopefully) better.

Secondly, pretty everything you learn at school about science, or physics/astronomy at least, is about a hundred years out of date. Even at university undergraduate it's the simpler end of modern understanding. Simply because to get to the current frontier takes many years of dedicated study beyond undergraduate level.

pjbliverpool likes this.
  16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

The Immortals (Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey) Season 1: Episode 11 narrated by Neil Degrasse Tyson.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immortals_(Cosmos:_A_Spacetime_Odyssey)

It's on Netflix. For clarification, I watched it not read it.

17. UniversalTruth

Veteran

This is just speculations, something similar to what we do here in the other section when we expect some new graphics, while having almost zero clue and real information to what exactly happens.

I didn't learn those scientific matters at school, I had this information via encyclopedias in those years.

The point of mine is that in the past I had trust in them.... now I do not trust them anymore.

18. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Most of what the scientific community is perhaps. But their version of speculation has more thorough peer review and reliance on evidence than the type of speculation we do on open forums.
    They speculated about the Higgs Boson, they also speculated about Pentaquarks back in the 60s. Only today did we prove them both.
    You're welcome to have your own opinion on matters, but I will say that information that is dated (as tends to be information in encyclopedias in middle/high school), can be outdated and eventually proven incorrect.

nutball and pjbliverpool like this.
  19. UniversalTruth

Veteran

You contradict yourself. At the same time you mention speculations back in the 60s (when they simply didn't have the technology to prove this) and how other information from previous time frames could be outdated.

Let's simply assume that technically it is impossible that all the water came via asteroids or comets simply because the volume on the planet is so enormous. And that the gas itself can be evenly distributed in the primary planetary discs.

No further comment on the life is brought by comet - just tell me where and how it happened on the comet in the first place.
    That's simply ridiculous because comets don't travel between solar systems.

20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

"Some heat" meaning enough to cause nitrogen to evaporate off the equator and re-freeze around the poles; still so far below freezing it's ridiculous, obviously. :) If there ever was anything even approaching life on Pluto, I promise to eat like a million hats...

Life travelling on asteroids and whatnot and falling down on Earth is a theoretical possibility of course, but that life would have had to evolve somewhere, then survived being blown off into space, surviving all the hard ionizing radiation flying around out there, the vacuum, the low - and sometimes high - temperatures, and then falling down here through our atmosphere (starting off at orbital velocity of like 15-25km/s) - sum total, it's a lot less likely than life having evolved right here. Seems to me, if you really believe life originated somewhere else, you have to be a fucking nutcase... :p