Philips 50PF9630A/37 Plasma Display

D3v0ur3r said:
Anyone that knows a good bit or even a lot about Plasma TV's could they have a look at this one & give an opinion on what they think about it please? http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/philips-50pf9630a37.html

One thing you should know is that site sells products, so don't necessarily believe that it may be unbiased. This is not to say that the reviews are tainted mind you, but just something you should keep in mind.

That said, is there a reason why you are looking at the Phillips? Is it price/availability at your location?

I'd take a look at the 8th generation of Panasonic or the latest Pioneer if you have a store that carries them locally. You should also ask yourself what is important to you and what factors are present in your environment. For instance, if you have excellent light control and prefer to watch TV/Movies in the dark, you will likely want deeper blacks. But if you watch in a room with some ambient light, then the blacks won't be as important (which is why Phillips uses their 'ambilight' - so their deficient blacks aren't so noticeable).

I have actually checked it out @ Best Buy & it looks awesome compared to a lot of other Plasma's they have which is actually a lot.

Well one likely problem is that each of the TVs at BestBuy (I live near one) haven't been calibrated. And in fact many TVs are in 'torch mode' which means they are blasting the colors way more than they should be. This makes the image look vibrant but then the set is over saturated.

Oh, another major consideration for you is what will you be watching? SD or concentrating on HD or DVDs? The reason why this is important is because some sets do NOT display SD well at all.

Back