Phenom stock to 3.2 Ghz with new SB750 ?!

whats acc ? and wow £200 for a board

It's "Advanced Clock Calibration Link" - some magic overclocking stuff AMD put into the SB750 to try and make the Phenoms competitive, but they won't tell anyone how it works. There was a good write-up on Anandtech, but the site is down so I can't link to it.

There's some conjecture that there's some extra pins in the CPU that get enabled and operate with the SB to stabilise higher frequencies, but it seems to still be hit and miss depending on your CPU.

I dunno, I like the AMD motherboards, but all this pissing around with Deneb and new chipsets all MIA and not working properly is just making me seriously think about giving up on AMD and getting a proven Intel/Penryn combo. Especially if you're looking at these crazy motherboard prices for AMD in the UK. The lack of anything but a single brief review at Trusted Reviews also doesn't fill me with any kind of confidence.

When your CPUs arn't performance competative, and your motherboards arn't price competative, you're in big trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get a Penryn, look at the E8400 series in the E0 stepping :D Bought one two weeks ago just to test with, and it booted at 4.1Ghz on stock voltage (no, not AUTO, but actually 100% stock volts!) :eek:

If you get a Penryn, look at the E8400 series in the E0 stepping :D Bought one two weeks ago just to test with, and it booted at 4.1Ghz on stock voltage (no, not AUTO, but actually 100% stock volts!) :eek:

Are they dual cores? I was thinking about a quad core, just your standard most-likely-to-get-to-3ghz Q6600 with a PQ5 Deluxe. I'm just fed up of waiting for AMD to execute, and the Intel stuff isn't any more expensive.

Back