Phenom 2 920 or C2Q 9400 for games?

gongo

Regular
As you know i wanting to upgrade my PC for PC gaming next gen! I read plenty of reviews and i can't quite get this thing about gaming performance. On some reviews, the 920 outperform the 9400, on other reviews it is the opposite and they are talking about the same game! How is this possible? Which are the objective reviews not run by fanboys? Help!

maybe the 2.6 phenom black edition its cheaper and has an unlocked multiplyer

That's not a Phenom II and wouldn't stand much of a chance against a Yorkfield. Especially if overclocking is a factor.

If you really want to be set for next-gen gaming, you should build a system using the Intel i7 quad-core cpu.

If you really want to be set for next-gen gaming, you should build a system using the Intel i7 quad-core cpu.

Whoever said to get whichever is less expensive was probably right. Otherwise, do what Brit suggested above, as that would indeed get you set for next-gen gaming, especially if you're talking about more than one video card.

As you know i wanting to upgrade my PC for PC gaming next gen! I read plenty of reviews and i can't quite get this thing about gaming performance. On some reviews, the 920 outperform the 9400, on other reviews it is the opposite and they are talking about the same game! How is this possible? Which are the objective reviews not run by fanboys? Help!

Most reviews I have seen show the 9400 being faster.

AMD aimed the 940 at the 9400 and the 920 and the 8200/9300.

You see that is the problem, in another review say here, http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_phenom_2_940_performance/page8.asp

The 9400 is better than the 940, what gives? Granted it seems FS uses a higher end 4870x2, yet both are tested in low res and full res. How does one interpret these results? I am finding all these reviews confusing like hell!

I am going to buy a full new rig so it is important to know which camp to invest in?
Different system configs will produce different results, although I'm not sure how that makes the 920 going from having a significant lead over the 9500 in far cry 2 to being significantly behind. I generally trust techreport over firingsquad though ;)

Well at least at Newegg and the retailers in my country the q9400 is price comparable with the PII 940 so why are you not considering the 940 instead of the 920? (unless of course it's not the same situation in your country;))

And with the 940 you get an unlocked multiplier for overclocking, which you absolutely should be doing.

I recently discovered that changing a Black Edition's multiplier disables Cool'n'Quiet. As you might imagine, that changes the idle power usage rather dramatically. It amazes me that some people out there throw CnQ out the window so quickly just to get a few hundred extra top-end MHz.

Fortunately there is a software option to get around that (k10stat). Otherwise you have to go with bus overclocking instead.

Arg, don't mind me, I read one of the replies entirely wrong :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back