PGR4: New Snow on the Ring trailer

motion blur quality is amazing in this video, I wonder if it's completely realtime or not.
Cars shading is still not very good imho, it's always their weaker point..

Absolutely agree,

the first thing I thought was, can that motion blur be for real. The key difference I saw from the motion blur we normally have in real time is that usually the blur is 'inside' the object and is performed at a texture level. ideal for roads, as in forza replays. But of course the actual geomtry still has a hard edge.

But from what I could see in these videos it apears to be object level motion bluring and looks to be full scene. Notice in the rain trailer from sneak preview, that when the car drives past the camera the entirety of the car is blurred

How did they pull that one off, is it some sort of very clever post process directional blurring?

would the car have to be rendered seperately and composited to make that possible?

I dont understand enough about this type of thing.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this.
I

11630001qi5.jpg

Nice Geometry

Nice Geometry

Looks nice. The photo-sourcing is consistent with PGR3, and according to the BC update, they're bringing back all the cities from it too.

Random things pulled from their forums (old, but...thought I'd bring it up):

Ben said:
Our motion blur [in PGR3] is worked out on a per-pixel basis from object's speed relative to the camera.

Alan said:
PGR3 ... samples each pixel on the screen, determines how far that pixel has travelled from one frame to the next and then applies the correct amount of blur.

Obviously they've moved to having the blur on dynamic objects (cars). Does that entail the use of vertice manipulation :?: The second quotation sounds like it could just be applied to everything on the screen including the pixels of cars...

:?:

Great screenshots, although small they show the trees, lighting and track detail (building ss), very impressed!

Some of these screens are awesome - extremely atmospheric. They look to be using HDR lightmaps for lighting. At least they're achieving the same effect.

1163_0019.jpg

1163_0021.jpg

1163_0025.jpg

looks really good, though the "photo"-like nature (I don't know how to express it) of the series always strikes me as strange ! Amazing fog ! I've got a Silent Hill bive...maybe we'll be able to encounter some lost creatures on the way to victory... :LOL:

The new shots are amazing. Just points out how rushed PGR3 really was IMO.

I wouldn't say that. Pre-release shots of PGR3 looked unbelievably lifelike too, and while it was a great looking game, it certainly wasn't the visual show stopper screens like this led me to believe.

Im taking the screens with a pinch of sault, they did the same thing with PGR3, released all these promo shots of the envirments and tracks and the final game looked nothing like them.

Im taking the screens with a pinch of sault, they did the same thing with PGR3, released all these promo shots of the envirments and tracks and the final game looked nothing like them.

Watch the PGR4 teasers. They look like these screens if not better (motion blur awesomeness is not visible on these screens).

Back