[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

By the way, is your 4870 only a 512MB model? If it's 1GB you might as well run high quality textures, as doing so won't effect your framerate.

Yeah only the 512 sadly. I was trying to get my hands on a stupidly-cheap 1gb model but time and the upgrade-itch got me so I grabbed the 512 model at a decent price. I'm quite happy with it... I would LIKE to run high textures since I know they look quite the bit better, but I can deal without it. Will GTA4 open up to use 1gb of vram if I crossfire another 4870? Or is the same-old same-old where it'll only recognise 512mb?

Regarding the definition: it was always off for me, except in cutscenes. I didn't know about "P" until I read about it on the net.

Will GTA4 open up to use 1gb of vram if I crossfire another 4870? Or is the same-old same-old where it'll only recognise 512mb?

All the VRAM is used, but in mulit-GPU setups it redundant per GPU, so you will only ever have 512MB of effective VRAM regardless of how many cards you add and regardless of what game you are playing.

Yeah only the 512 sadly. I was trying to get my hands on a stupidly-cheap 1gb model but time and the upgrade-itch got me so I grabbed the 512 model at a decent price. I'm quite happy with it... I would LIKE to run high textures since I know they look quite the bit better, but I can deal without it. Will GTA4 open up to use 1gb of vram if I crossfire another 4870? Or is the same-old same-old where it'll only recognise 512mb?

Damn, guessing you didn't see the 4870 1gb for 160 USD on Newegg a few days ago. I thought of picking one up to replace my 512 mb model, but think I'll just wait to see what the refresh is like.

Regards,
SB

Damn, guessing you didn't see the 4870 1gb for 160 USD on Newegg a few days ago. I thought of picking one up to replace my 512 mb model, but think I'll just wait to see what the refresh is like.

Regards,
SB

Whhaaaaaaa...? That's only ~$245 AUD! :oops: That's around HALF what the 1gb cards cost here.

True, but still, that's retardedly cheap. Even including shipping costs, that's far less than what even a 512mb model costs. Yargh!

Well, Does th egame perform worse in Vista than XP?
coz I had it rrunning in XP before, and installed in my Vista now, expecting DX10 to help, but I think the game is showing me Low res texture and geometry everytime I trun around and taking time to load up stuff right in froon of me. Is it normal or is it that I am watching the game after a week now ?

Also, I want to say that I have never liked any GTA before this but I must say I am liking this one, most importantly coz it has a well made protagoninst and a actually a story !(at least in the beginning) I like Nico and how he speaks and decides on stuff, and the game being tightly knit around him gives the game an actual "Action Story" feel , something I never felt in any other GTA. I think the game taking a Mature take on its story rather than a "Teenage Curse filled" take is making all the difference.
The only thing I don't like is that the city is not open from the start, (I mean all the police barricades on bridges) .
The biggest gripe is the graphics :cry: man ! The game is a complete Jagfest and weird. After having played Warhead on Enthusiast smoothly, Far Cry 2 on max with 8X AA, same with POP4 and Burnout paradise with 8X AA and SSAO on, I can't understand why Rockstar can't have my RIg show me a smooth and clean GTA 4 :devilish: !! The jaggies and the extremely grainy shadows are totally annoying !

But I like the game, I like a GTA for the first time :cool: !

Well, Does th egame perform worse in Vista than XP?
coz I had it rrunning in XP before, and installed in my Vista now, expecting DX10 to help, but I think the game is showing me Low res texture and geometry everytime I trun around and taking time to load up stuff right in froon of me. Is it normal or is it that I am watching the game after a week now ?

I do get the very occasional texture pop in in Vista.

DX10 won't help at all though since the game is 100% DX9 and will be running on DX9 even in Vista.

The game is a complete Jagfest and weird. After having played Warhead on Enthusiast smoothly, Far Cry 2 on max with 8X AA, same with POP4 and Burnout paradise with 8X AA and SSAO on, I can't understand why Rockstar can't have my RIg show me a smooth and clean GTA 4 :devilish: !!!

What is your rig? On my rigs I have found GTA is as CPU bound constantly as Warhead is during intense moments, and far more so than Far Cry 2. I can't speak for the other two games you mention though as I haven't played either.

What is your rig? On my rigs I have found GTA is as CPU bound constantly as Warhead is during intense moments, and far more so than Far Cry 2. I can't speak for the other two games you mention though as I haven't played either.

Intel Quad Core Q9450 2.6Ghz
4gb Corsair 800Mhz
Sapphire HD4850

4gb Corsair 800Mhz
Sapphire HD4850

You know I had Catalyst 8.12 and the previous GTAIV aptch and no texture/object pop-in at all in any settings. After patching GTAIV with latest patch I get a very slight pop-in sometimes that is visible for a second. The funny thing is this happens at lowest aswell as highest settings with same pop-in and same fade in time delay!

Else the game is DX9 so DX10 wont help any.

You know I had Catalyst 8.12 and the previous GTAIV aptch and no texture/object pop-in at all in any settings. After patching GTAIV with latest patch I get a very slight pop-in sometimes that is visible for a second. The funny thing is this happens at lowest aswell as highest settings with same pop-in and same fade in time delay!

Else the game is DX9 so DX10 wont help any.

I was guessing the same. I had not seen the pop-ups prior to this patch, I was just not sure. Now I see a lot of Texture pop-ups:cry: ! Weird Patch .....maybe to help low specs to run it well, but there should be a way to stop it at higher settings.

Yeah it was more after the patch that I hit the problem too. As I say though, its very occasional in my case, nothing that effects gameplay.

Your system should be good enough to handle the game nicely btw so i don't think its a hardware issue.

Yeah it was more after the patch that I hit the problem too. As I say though, its very occasional in my case, nothing that effects gameplay.

Your system should be good enough to handle the game nicely btw so i don't think its a hardware issue.

That is why i am curious...........Why do I get so much of Pop-in now. Could it be because of Vista? Is anyone of you running it in Vista?
Will increasing the "Detail Distance" to max Help? Its a little less than max right now:rolleyes:! but not so much as to make the closest building have texture pop-ins.
could it be the 9.1 drivers , maybe I should go back to 8.12 and check.

And with that you get some low framerates in Warhead at points too, eh?

As for pop-in try turning your settings down a bit to lower VRAM usage, I can turn my settings up to cause such problems, but keep them down just enough to avoid them.

That is why i am curious...........Why do I get so much of Pop-in now. Could it be because of Vista? Is anyone of you running it in Vista?
Will increasing the "Detail Distance" to max Help? Its a little less than max right now:rolleyes:! but not so much as to make the closest building have texture pop-ins.
could it be the 9.1 drivers , maybe I should go back to 8.12 and check.

yeah i'm running in Vista. Its a slower system than yours but i'm running at 21 view distance, 10 detail distance and medium textures.

Like I say, some very minor pop in since the patch but its only very occasional. Do you have superfetch activated? I found it was needed to avoid severe texture issues. Also, I would suggest a defrag of your HDD as I think HDD speed is closely related to texture streaming in this game.

Since the detail settings changes happen dynamically if the game is loaded, I would load a game, go to a place where you can see a lot and lots of shadows and then just play with the settings. For instance, detail distance a little bit higher than viewing distance seems to be good.

The highest settings for reflections look fantastic. Compared to previous the latest patch which supposedly had higher res reflections than other version it is amazing. It is a blurry low detail wet ground mess vs highly detailed bumps and detail. Just noticed it when raining at night. Looks slick IMO. :smile:

Back