P5B Deluxe and 4GB

MatiasZ

Regular
Hi everyone, I'm sorry to start a new thread again, but I need some help. I think this one should be easy.

I had 2GB of RAM installed on my system, with the following basic specs:

- Core2 Duo E4300
- Asus P5B Deluxe (latest BIOS, 1226 installed)
- 2x1GB Kingston HyperX DDR800 4-4-4-12
- The rest of the stuff

Today I bought 2x OCZ Titanium DDR800 4-4-4-15 (separate modules, no dual channel kit), because I installed Vista x64 earlier this week, and wanted to have 4GB available.

Here came my surprise, after installing the modules, the BIOS would report 3008MB installed. I tried cleaning BIOS settings (within the BIOS, no hard reset yet) with no luck. Tried each module separately, it was reported correctly as 2048MB. Tried different slot combinations with no luck. So I booted into windows, and of course 3006MB are reported. I fired up CPU-Z, to find out that it reports each module as being 2048MB (correctly), and even the Memory tab shows 4096MB.

There are at least three options:

1) I'm an idiot and I'm forgetting to enable something.
2) There's some kind of problem with the motherboard-ram combination.
3) This is not supposed to work in the first place, in which case I'm also an idiot.

According to Asus' website, the motherboard supports 8GB and it has 4DIMM slots, so the third one should not be the case.

I'm really hoping it's the first one or at least something close to it, and that you guys will let me know what I'm doing wrong ;)

Regards,
Matias

I have one of these motherboards loaded with 8GB of DDR2-800 running Vista Business x64 SP1 right now. Zero problems so far.

Back