Hard drive compatibility issues.

Concerto

Newcomer
So recently I got together a brand new rig. All of the components work fine except my old hard drive. Upon booting, it will go through the usual sequence as expected until it is time to enter Windows. Then it will crash to a blue screen.

Now, I know the hard drive works (it is being used on this computer in which I am typing this message from) but I do not understand why it will not work with the new build. I’ve consulted with both the motherboard maker (ASUS) as well as Microsoft. Both did not provide good enough advice as to how to resolve this issue only going as far as to say that I should reinstall the O.S. (I am not going to do that) Now, I do have the O.S. installed to another hard drive and it works fine but the problem with that is now I do not have access to my data.

So I toyed around with the BIOS in hopes that I might come across something but to no avail. Lastly, I am told that it could be that my ram is the issue in regards of compatibility. That it could be the wrong kind for the board. Maybe anyone who had similar experience might be of assistance.

ASUS: Z270-P

Intel core i7 6700-k

2400MHz ddr4 4GB system memory (Ballistix brand by Micron)

I've got a fairly new PC with an ASUS mobo and there are options for what drive to boot from. You can just click on one and tell it to start from that, or you can set the priority, and you can eliminate drives from being part of that order.

Hmm, isn't there a boot loader thingy that can go bad (the MBR)? In Recovery options under Advanced you can tell the recovery OS to check for problems with how Windows loads.

Last edited:
So recently I got together a brand new rig. All of the components work fine except my old hard drive. Upon booting, it will go through the usual sequence as expected until it is time to enter Windows. Then it will crash to a blue screen.
I probably should have asked this first, but did you wipe your old HDD before installing it or did you build a new PC and just pull your old HDD out of the old rig and pop it in the new one without reinstalling Windows or booting in to safe mode to install the new mobo drivers? If that's the case I can tell you what's wrong right now, when it starts loading windows it starts loading the drivers for the hardware it expects, the hardware that was your old system. When it loads those drivers, (or tries to), in to the new components they're not designed for of COURSE it's gonna crash!

Try booting it in safe mode, see if it detects new hardware and installs it/allows you to. (Boot in to "safe mode with networking" first and hope it can recognize your NIC, saves a LOT of hassles!)

Sorry I didn't think of it before, g'luck!

only going as far as to say that I should reinstall the O.S. (I am not going to do that)
As Digi mentions, reinstalling windows when building a new rig is the way to go really. If you're a windows wizard you can fix the issues that typically crop up when re-using an old windows install in a new rig, but for most people it's just unnecessary headache. Highly recommend you backup your personal data and wipe the system partition (game saves for example like to hide themselves in the users/yourusername subfolders these days, which I did not think of, so there went my Skyrim saves with fully leveled skills and fully built homes, wife, kids, everything lol...)

Windows will transfer between hardware fairly really nowadays but the main thing you just make sure it's that it's using standard hard drive controller drivers and not hardware specific ones. That's the main killer.

Back