P4 3.0 Ghz Northwood or PD 2.8Ghz

CMAN

Regular
I currently have a 3.0 Ghz P4 Northwood. How much performance would I loose going to a 2.8 Ghz PentiumD? I think it would be nice to go dual core, but I do not know how much extra performance I would achieve using a PentiumD over a P4 with HT.

In essence is it worth the upgrade? I will be getting it really cheap and need to upgrade my video card since my current one is AGP (I am kinda thinking it may be worth it for a 7x00 card or an R520 card as I'd need PCI Express :) ).

if you're going to change the motherboard (agp->pci-e), just buy a s.939 one + AMD X2-3800 :D

What are the applications you normally use? AFAIk for playing games dual-core is not so great , yet

chavvdarrr said:
if you're going to change the motherboard (agp->pci-e), just buy a s.939 one + AMD X2-3800 :D

What are the applications you normally use? AFAIk for playing games dual-core is not so great , yet

and get a good speed boost :p

I mostly play games on my desktop.

I would like an AMD 3800+, but AMD is being slow in the game this fall...

CMAN said:
I would like an AMD 3800+, but AMD is being slow in the game this fall...

I don't understand what you mean; do you mean that AMD X2s are slow (they are not)or that you have trouble finding them (availibility)?

CosmoKramer said:
I don't understand what you mean; do you mean that AMD X2s are slow (they are not)or that you have trouble finding them (availibility)?

Neither :) More in reference to discounts they give, and them not being introduced like they have in the past falls.

I'm pretty sure the total cost will be lower if you with the X2. Yes, the CPU will cost more but you will save money on the motherboard and judging by your sig you don't need to buy new RAM.

So, going with an X2 should give you a faster and cheaper system.

Back