Overclocking X2 3800+ (939)

Matas

Newcomer
My X2 3800+ is able to run prime at 2.5Ghz(250x10) 1.520v, but if I set to the 2.6Ghz it can't run without errors even at 1.68v. What is going on with mine X2 3800+?

overclocking isnt gaurentied, and the memory and board play a part as well. I cant get mine to budge more then 100MHz, anymore and it hardlocks or BSODs (i leave the comp on 24/7). I have always had crap luck at OC'ing processors, problably why i'm looking at EE Kentsfields.

I assume you're on air? Just take the 500MHz OC and call it a day, thats pretty decent for 2 processors. Be carefuly with your voltage too, thats awefully high over the default of 1.3v. Personally i wouldnt run it at 1.5V and certainly not 1.68 24/7 without a cold plate.

My X2 3800+ is able to run prime at 2.5Ghz(250x10) 1.520v, but if I set to the 2.6Ghz it can't run without errors even at 1.68v. What is going on with mine X2 3800+?
Uh nothing :LOL:
It's max stable speed is 2.5 ghz, and the default clock is 2hz.. what the hell are you complaining about?
A 500mhz overclock is nothing to get your panties in a bunch about, especially on a dualcore ship.

I'm going to assume you're new to overclocking, so I won't insult you any futher ;)

I'm not the noobie in the OC. X2 3800+ is running with DFI Ultra-D and Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2PT. I have tried to rize Ultra-D chipset voltage but didn't help. Also I'm using FSB:RAM divider 5:4.
I'm asking because the major part of people is able able to reach 2.6-2.7Ghz at 1.5-1.6v.

thats false. What you're problably doing is spending too much time in forums where people gloat about their awesome OC's with pictures of a mostly stable windows desktop. I can OC the core to 2.6GHz and get into windows, but the fact remains i cant get mine to stay stable past 2150MHz. Most people with those OC's encounter issues within hours, usually random system reboots, BSODs, and lockups or just plain errors. The only way to properly keep those types of OC's is with cold plates/phase change and unhealthy amounts of voltage while also having a good chip.

you're reading fluff my friend, people have self esteem issues so it makes them feel good to show that they can be superior, even if its not true. 2500MHz on air is very respectable, you should be pleased. I would still try to drop that voltage down though.

becareful that you're not playing with that on a computer with data you care about too by the way, some mainboards still have issues with overclocking effecting SATA/RAID causing partition corruption or data loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really thanks... Now one question: Speedfan 4.29 shows cpu Temp1 and Core temp. What is the difference between them?

speedfan runs off the mainboards temp readings via bios, if they're the same temps then they're problably both the same thing. You also have 2 cores so speedfan could be detecting seperate temp readings per core, but i didnt think X2s had those yet. If i remember correctly speedfan is also pretty out of date.

Lower the HTT multiplier and set the memory to run with the lowest divider.
Find out the max HTT clock of the board (run cpu with a low multiplier). Then find out the max memory frequency. And last the max processor frequency. Do not try to do them all at once.

And 1.7V is way too high for regular aircooling, I suggest you stay below 1.6V.

thats false. What you're problably doing is spending too much time in forums where people gloat about their awesome OC's with pictures of a mostly stable windows desktop. I can OC the core to 2.6GHz and get into windows, but the fact remains i cant get mine to stay stable past 2150MHz. Most people with those OC's encounter issues within hours, usually random system reboots, BSODs, and lockups or just plain errors. The only way to properly keep those types of OC's is with cold plates/phase change and unhealthy amounts of voltage while also having a good chip.

I have to disagree. Sure 2.6Ghz+ on a 3800+ isn't the norm but neither is 2.15Ghz. That is on the very low end of the distribution I would think. On average you will get a 300-400Mhz OC out of a modern 2.0Ghz chip without breaking a sweat. My single core 3000+ has been at 2.5Ghz (default 1.8) on air since the day I bought it without any issues.

And what is normal X2 core temp( I'm talking not about cpu temp, but core temp, which is showen by Core Temp Beta program)?

core temp is the temp from the actual cpu diode, so should be within a few degrees of cpu temp.

and i have a friend who has a 3800+ and his best overclock was 2.5Ghz with it being properly stable at 2.4Ghz, think he was using 1.55V. Which is the typical overclocks for that core, people who are saying their getting 3Ghz on air are just lying as i have a opteron 170 which i can get up to 2.8Ghz at 1.6V, and thats on watercooling, with air the best i could get was 2.6Ghz at 1.5V, and even then it was getting pretty hot, bordering 60 degrees, even with lower voltages than most people.

On the stock heatsink but with a 12cm papst fan my opteron 165 runs at about 65C @ 2.2GHz, 1.3V. I wouldn't expect it go go alot higher than that with these temperatures, the K8 needs to be well cooled if if you want to overclock it.

EDIT: Forgot voltage.

At 2.4Ghz 1.488v during SP2004 cpu temp is ~37-38C and both ores are reaching ~55-60C. So it seems that it is normal?

On the stock heatsink but with a 12cm papst fan my opteron 165 runs at about 65C @ 2.2GHz, 1.3V. I wouldn't expect it go go alot higher than that with these temperatures, the K8 needs to be well cooled if if you want to overclock it.

EDIT: Forgot voltage.

I assume this is with a fan that is nearly rotating, otherwise that's a pretty bad temperature

2.4Ghz/ 1.488v/ core temp <55C while gaming.
2.5Ghz/ 1.568v/ core temp 55-62C while gaming.

What to do you think about my OC results?

I would say the increase in voltage and temperature needed for the extra 0.1Ghz isn't worth the hassle/potential HDD corruption.

2.4Ghz X2 is a plenty powerful CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back