Overclocking and my Inexperience with it

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
I recently bought a new motherboard (ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 AMD) and a new CPU to accompany it (AMD Athlon 64 3000+@1.8GHz Venice). What I was wondering is if you all have tips on OC'ing. I've read alot of articles on Overclocking...but I would like to hear some suggestions from people that may have experince with this CPU (or suggestions in general). I'm kinda nervous about Overclocking, but I can't resist doing it, when I hear stories of being able to OC the Venice core up to 2.6GHz on stock cooling (and being stable to boot :p ).

Thanks in advance for any tips.

It basicly revolves on what you have for memory. If you have PC3200/DDr400 memory, drop your memory divider to 133, set hypertransport to 3x, up CPU voltage to 1.5/1.55volts. The stock HS should be fine. Try increasing FSB 10 at a time. Take your time. You should be able to get to 275 without any problem.I've got 4 of these, running on Chaintech NF4 Ultra MBs, two at 290fsb, one at 295 and one at 300.

BlueTsunami said:
I recently bought a new motherboard (ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 AMD) and a new CPU to accompany it (AMD Athlon 64 3000+@1.8GHz Venice). What I was wondering is if you all have tips on OC'ing. I've read alot of articles on Overclocking...but I would like to hear some suggestions from people that may have experince with this CPU (or suggestions in general). I'm kinda nervous about Overclocking, but I can't resist doing it, when I hear stories of being able to OC the Venice core up to 2.6GHz on stock cooling (and being stable to boot :p ).

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I haven't done anything with the venice cores (yet), but I've got a mobile athlon at home that I bought especially for overclocking. The advice about taking your time and incrementing it by 10MHz is good, though I would start out a bit more adventerous than that. (start out with maybe 100MHz at a time up until maybe 2.2GHz, then smaller and smaller increments). For high overclocks you'll probably need to start fooling around iwth your voltages on both the cpu and memory. If you do, don't push them too high, especially not right away. You'll want to take the smallest increment steps here.

Once you've reached a point where you think your system is stable, run memtest86 and SuperPI on it. SuperPI is especially nice because it tends to be *very* good at causing overclocked systems to fail if they are being pushed too hard. If your overclocked system can handle superpi for 24-48 hours you can pretty much be sure that it will not fail in almost any other situation.

Nite_Hawk

digitalwanderer said:
Oh man, I had a bear of a time hunting down this thread here where I learned everything about OCing my Venice 3000+ & 939 mobo...but for you I do it.

There's some good info in the thread, and lots of links to other good info.

Theres actually a link within that link that links to a forum thread that has a good begginers guide to Overclocking. Thanks for the link!

Nite_Hawk said:
I haven't done anything with the venice cores (yet), but I've got a mobile athlon at home that I bought especially for overclocking. The advice about taking your time and incrementing it by 10MHz is good, though I would start out a bit more adventerous than that. (start out with maybe 100MHz at a time up until maybe 2.2GHz, then smaller and smaller increments). For high overclocks you'll probably need to start fooling around iwth your voltages on both the cpu and memory. If you do, don't push them too high, especially not right away. You'll want to take the smallest increment steps here.

Once you've reached a point where you think your system is stable, run memtest86 and SuperPI on it. SuperPI is especially nice because it tends to be *very* good at causing overclocked systems to fail if they are being pushed too hard. If your overclocked system can handle superpi for 24-48 hours you can pretty much be sure that it will not fail in almost any other situation.

Nite_Hawk

Yeah, it seems as though changing the voltages is pretty time consuming in that you have to regulate and equal out your Memory and CPU. Seems to be also tradeoffs to how fast you can have the CPU or the Memory. This is what i'm getting from the threads i've been looking at. Also, i'm thinking about just manipulating the Processor itself play around with it...then down the line mess with the RAM speeds.

One question would be, is the FSB independant to the whole OC setup? You can clearly see that the speed of the CPU and the speed of the RAM kinda go hand in hand (when brought to their maximum) but theres no mention of the FSB being raised or lowered affecting the Memory or CPU....

BlueTsunami said:
Theres actually a link within that link that links to a forum thread that has a good begginers guide to Overclocking. Thanks for the link!

Yeah, it seems as though changing the voltages is pretty time consuming in that you have to regulate and equal out your Memory and CPU. Seems to be also tradeoffs to how fast you can have the CPU or the Memory. This is what i'm getting from the threads i've been looking at. Also, i'm thinking about just manipulating the Processor itself play around with it...then down the line mess with the RAM speeds.

One question would be, is the FSB independant to the whole OC setup? You can clearly see that the speed of the CPU and the speed of the RAM kinda go hand in hand (when brought to their maximum) but theres no mention of the FSB being raised or lowered affecting the Memory or CPU....

I may be wrong about the exact details of overclocking athlon64s, but from what I've read it sounds like you you are limited in that you can *only* overclock via FSB unless you have a FX series chip. The multiplier is locked (atleast when trying for a higher multiplier), so the only way to improve performance is to raise the FSB. Some people seem to be able to exceed 300MHz. Having said that, you can run the memory clock and FSB asynchronously so that your PC3200 memory can still work at much faster FSB speeds. I'm not entirely sure if there are any performance penalties for running the FSB and memory asynchronously. Obviously having memory that could run at 300MHz would be fantastic, though probably prohibitively expensive.

Nite_Hawk

Well, I just finished installing my new Motherboard in my beautiful Wavemaster case. Obviously its working fine (I'm typing to you all here from the new Mobo).

One thing I want to ask right off the bat is a temp from the BIOS (monitoring the hardware) acceptable at 38c? I was wondering because i've seen lower temps than that. Also...I have Sisoft Sandra 2005 installed....and it gives the name of the processor as

Sisoft Sandra 2005 said:
M2F Athlon 64 (K8 ClawHammer) 90nm ?Ghz+ ?V

:oops:

Whats that about? ClawHammer? Was I shipped the wrong CPU?...or is Sisoft giving me a wrong name?...hmmmm....

I'm still satisfied with it though...XP is WAY WAY WAY more snappy then before (even being a fresh install I can tell the difference). Even if it is ClawHammer....I'll probably keep it...although..if Clawhammer at this rating is much less (Price Wise) then I probably will reconsider calling NewEgg about it.

BlueTsunami said:
No, it's not. The Athlon 64's use a Hypertransport bus as their "FSB," but fortunately the clock of the Hypertransport bus is driven by a multiplier itself (default is 200MHz "FSB" with 5x multiplier on Hypertransport...just drop it to 4x or 3x for overclocking).

Depending upon the system, the PCI clocks may also be linked to the FSB, but there should be a way around that. There is on nForce systems, at least. I don't know about that motherboard.

Heh..I can now play 1080p video now...stutter free. I'm installing Battlefield 2 at the same time. Was watching the Batman Begins trailer.....I love my new Processor.

Back