OutRun 2 Video

Maybe the reason that PS2 VF4 is different to the arcade is more to do with the difference in memory ( 32MB+4MB against 32MB+32MB+32MB ) than any
raw T&L performance....
I'd guess that when shoehorning the game in - animation might be more important than fine background detail.

As memory implementation is often as intrinsic to an architecture as processing characteristics, I'm sure that's a part of it (as it should be). The idea that a PS2 with more memory suddenly does wonders for its hardware mip-mapping support, texturing support, and sustained T&L may be shortchanging the systems you comparing it to, though.

But really, I didn't bring up the PS2 to comment on it directly, but rather to use its admittedly good-looking rendition of VF4 as a reference point for how much T&L Naomi 2 was sustaining.

Crazyace:
Maybe the reason that PS2 VF4 is different to the arcade is more to do with the difference in memory ( 32MB+4MB against 32MB+32MB+32MB ) than any
raw T&L performance....
I'd guess more memory would help PS2 like it would help any console. Though, Dreamcast might especially see improvement since its polygon display lists are in VRAM and storage space was specifically cited to be the limiting factor for sustainable performance by both developers for and engineers of the system.

Back