OS vs UI vs opinions spin

To make another atrocious metro like UI?
Cute, but I guess you didn't pay attention to the OS for WiiU. Ultimately, if such a thing were to happen (of course not), it'd be aesthetics of Nintendo, but the underlying software layers would be from MS engineers, who have been giving monthly updates for Xbox One that seemingly a lot of people appreciate over the competition. Metro design was poorly received, but the actual Windows OS seems quite good in my experience - Win8.1 seemingly does much better with my SSDs, and generally is stable/fast.

You need to separate the looks from the underlying SW.

Cute, but I guess you didn't pay attention to the OS for WiiU. Ultimately, if such a thing were to happen (of course not), it'd be aesthetics of Nintendo, but the underlying software layers would be from MS engineers, who have been giving monthly updates for Xbox One that seemingly a lot of people appreciate over the competition. Metro design was poorly received, but the actual Windows OS seems quite good in my experience - Win8.1 seemingly does much better with my SSDs, and generally is stable/fast.

You need to separate the looks from the underlying SW.
Wii U/3DS UI is more intuitive than xbo (it does not do much, nevertheless it is).

Vita/PS4 UI are very fast and intuitive. Modified FreeBSD kernel is much cleaner than WinAPI mess.

In fact new xbo interface copies PS4 UI but makes it vertical.

As AINets was saying, you need to separate the OS and the UI.

The actual underlying OS (OS pyramid?) on the Xbox 1 is very impressive. It uses multiple virtual machines that don't interfere with each other, the resource allocation is seamless, and the none-game reserves are smaller relative to what they're doing than for Sony or Nintendo. They've gone through a rapid period of updating, improving and streamlining [edit: and show no signs of stopping, with a Windows 10 base and massively expanded app support coming to the platform].

Win 8 has a nasty UI for m+kb, but the OS is fast, stable and good with all kinds of hardware. Metro is totally boss on a phone though.

OS is one area where Nintendo will be at a significant disadvantage to the likes of MS and even Sony. Should they sink resources into improving and competing in this arena, or fight their battles elsewhere and go for a more streamlined gaming experience? I'm not sure. Will be interesting to see what Nintendo do.

As AINets was saying, you need to separate the OS and the UI.

The actual underlying OS (OS pyramid?) on the Xbox 1 is very impressive. It uses multiple virtual machines that don't interfere with each other, the resource allocation is seamless, and the none-game reserves are smaller relative to what they're doing than for Sony or Nintendo.
Actually it's not very impressive. Linux could be deployed this way very easily. PS3 had hypervisor, though its purpose was little different.

If xbo does not use paravirtualization Linux could be even faster.

Last edited:
Nintendo can't use Linux because it's GPLv2, but I see no valid reason to use anything other than BSD.

BSD is low overhead, small memory footprint, has a nice hypervisor available (bhyve), multiple I/O scheduler(s), great file system choices, awesome network stack, efficient IPC/pipes, great package managers available, it's modular, it has long-term continuity, well documented, It's open source and can be deployed closed source (which is necessary for a console), and it's both free as in speech and free as in beer.

Why the heck would Nintendo chose windows?

I have no idea what's so interesting about running a hypervisor with two VM, on a modern x86 arch... we're in 2015. :runaway:

Last edited:
I have no idea what's so interesting about running a hypervisor with two VM, on a modern x86 arch... we're in 2015. :runaway:
From my understanding: OS layer and application layers can be iterated in conjunction with the games later without any interference between the two. It's like having a million versions of directX and drivers installed on your computer all at once to ensure full compatibility from the day you launch to the final app ever made. While this is happening your still going from windows8 to windows10 service pack 12 without a care of what's happening at the game level.

That's an effective way for The OS team and graphics team to iterate quickly and deploy rapidly without ever needing to sync up with each other. It's quite an improvement over the 360 model in which deploys were much fewer.

Xbox can adapt to changes much faster to the market than ever before.

The X1 implementation is both interesting and impressive IMO. It's not just about running a virtualised OS on x86.

The hardware and software were developed in tandem to allow minimal overhead and prevent the OSes from impacting on each other, even on the GPU.

The speed which which MS have been able to iterate and add features and release reserved processing time is also new for consoles. There's even Windows 10 + apps coming, and still no concern about impact on game performance.

The speed which which MS have been able to iterate and add features and release reserved processing time is also new for consoles. There's even Windows 10 + apps coming, and still no concern about impact on game performance.
Because resources for apps and games are reserved.

Nintendo can't use Linux because it's GPLv3, but I see no valid reason to use anything other than BSD.

Since when is Linux GPLv3? The kernel is a licensed under a modified GPLv2, it explicitly removed the "or later versions" text from GPLv2 or its what I remember of it anyway.

Fixed. :runaway:

I was thinking about samba, because my brain loves mixing things up.

Speaking of WiiU OS did Nintendo managed to lower its footprint or it is still a beefy 1GB?

Back