Opera goes DS

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
In Opera's agreement with Nintendo, Nintendo DS users will now be able to surf the full Internet from their systems using the Opera browser. The Opera browser for Nintendo DS will be sold as a DS card. Users simply insert the card into the Wi- Fi enabled Nintendo DS, connect to a network, and begin browsing on two screens

http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11075

For those wanting to surf on their DS...

Very cool!

It has been also announced a digital tv receiver, and tetris and winning eleven BOTH ONLINE :D

Edit: posted some pictures.

Browser

nin1_06.jpg

Tv receiver

nin1_05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some screenshots, and it looks pretty cool : the lower screen shows the full Web page, and there is a magnified zone on the top screen. I suppose that by pointing with the stylus, you change the magnified portion.

hopefully it'll work as good as it sounds

With an on-screen keypad and stylus, users can easily navigate the Web from their Nintendo DS with PDA-like functionality. Based on the same core as the Opera desktop browser, Opera delivers superior speed and rendering of Web pages on the Nintendo DS.

"Within just five seconds of turning on the system, the Nintendo DS is already fully operational. This makes it the ideal device to enable people to swiftly obtain the latest information from the internet, wherever they are," says Masaru Shimomura, Deputy General Manager of Nintendo's R & D Department. "Opera exceeded our expectations with its user friendly interface, quick access to all your favorite sites, ease of use and, most importantly, in making the best use of the Nintendo DS system's unique double screens and touch screen features. Opera is an important partner for Nintendo in our efforts to further expand the users of the Nintendo DS."

it takes a full minute or more to get Dreamcast operational with any of its various web browsers.
The DS is probably closer to the Saturn in amount of processing power and memory that it has available to it, but DS has faster loading with its cartridge, and combined with an optimized browser from Opera, may very well kick the crap out of Planetweb's efforts on Saturn or Dreamcast.

It should be very interesting to see. I hope NoA doesn't decide against releasing it here in the U.S.

This should be more full-featured than PSP browsing too, because it's not ROM constrained in the same way. Do you think there'll be proper Java/Flash support? I don't suppose DS has the processing power for Flash though. I like the navigation on the second screen. Not sure the small res of the top screen is going to be very good for browsing though.

Shifty Geezer said:
This should be more full-featured than PSP browsing too, because it's not ROM constrained in the same way.
Weee-eell, well-written programs don't have to occupy all that much space anyway, especially if the compiler is set to optimize for space rather than performance - which wouldn't be an issue when just browsing I might add.

Do you think there'll be proper Java/Flash support?
Sure hope so. DS could even do flash if it uses its 3D engine to accelerate rendering I'll wager, but available RAM is probably a bigger issue here than actual hardware performance. Many flash animations are multiple megabytes in size. If the browser could use an additional DRAM/flashmem cart in the GBA slot then that wouldn't be an issue, but it'd be too complicated/"confusing" for consumers I guess.

Not sure the small res of the top screen is going to be very good for browsing though.
Um, both screens on the DS are same rez, yes?

In any case, this news is AWESOME. DS is looking cooler all the time! :)

Guden Oden said:
Sure hope so. DS could even do flash if it uses its 3D engine to accelerate rendering I'll wager, but available RAM is probably a bigger issue here than actual hardware performance. Many flash animations are multiple megabytes in size. If the browser could use an additional DRAM/flashmem cart in the GBA slot then that wouldn't be an issue, but it'd be too complicated/"confusing" for consumers I guess.

Touché! It also uses a gba cart.

h-103_48745_bura1.jpg.jpg

Apoc said:
It also uses a gba cart.
AAAAHHH. Maybe there IS hope after all then for a full-featured browsing environment! :devilish: It would SO rule if I could take a DS with the Opera cart with me to the states when I go there on vacation this summer. Would rule even more if the plane has wifi internet so I can post on B3D while I'm on a boring long-haul transatlantic flight. :) I guess I have to pray intensely to the great Nintendo gods, but if they know what's good for them, they'll understand there's tons of interest something like this over here as well and release it Real Soon.

What a great move of them to stick wifi in the DS. Awesome.

Does anyone have links to more images - preferably closer-up/higher rez?

In any case, this news is AWESOME. DS is looking cooler all the time!

Indeed, with stylus navigation and INPUT and Opera's dual screen mode (top screen magnified), this is a perfect portable browsing device. Any word on if Opera's browser can rotate 90 degrees for vertical viewing? I've noticed that some games on DS require you to hold the DS vertically now with the screens side by side. Also since the PDA versions of Opera resizes web pages for smaller screens for optimal viewing, I have no doubt this would work quite well. I already have a MobilePro 780 and 880 H/PC for internet on the go, but this would be a very nice addition to my mobile internet surfing collection. :devilish: With Nintendo's free WiFi hotspots at McDonalds etc, this would be pretty handy.:cool:

it takes a full minute or more to get Dreamcast operational with any of its various web browsers.

That's not the important thing though. What's important is that surfing will be fairly easy on the DS while on Dreamcast you had to use the stupid thumbstick to move a cursor. Of course without a keyboard inputing text would be slower than a Dreamcast with keyboard attached, but the stylus would be faster than using a controller.

Oh btw the digital tv addon is awesome too! I saw pics of the proposed tv tuner for DS last year and it was HUGE. This new one is very thin and compact. I pray Nintendo comes to their senses and release these in the US as well as the Play-Yan.:rolleyes:

Guden Oden said:
Weee-eell, well-written programs don't have to occupy all that much space anyway, especially if the compiler is set to optimize for space rather than performance - which wouldn't be an issue when just browsing I might add.
Not knowing how much room PSP has for firmware upgrades I dunno how much more Sony can add by way of Java support (Sun Java is few megabytes in size!) or Flash (>700 KB - And wow, Adobe have bought Macromedia! :oops:)
Sure hope so. DS could even do flash if it uses its 3D engine to accelerate rendering I'll wager
Flash runs pretty slow from my experience. The usual banners etc. are fine, but things like Flash games might be squiffy (if at all playable!)
but available RAM is probably a bigger issue here than actual hardware performance. Many flash animations are multiple megabytes in size. If the browser could use an additional DRAM/flashmem cart in the GBA slot then that wouldn't be an issue
They really need more RAM somehow. PSP has memory problems browsing with 32 MB. Both need access to alternative flash storage is browsing is to become more.
Um, both screens on the DS are same rez, yes?
Yes. Both are on the small side for browsing. The touch screen is smartly used for navigation of the page, so scrolling should be easy. But this text window alone is 540 pixels wide. I'd be scrolling left and right all the time to read it.

ds.jpg

Hopefully they add multiple magnification levels instead of just one.

But this text window alone is 540 pixels wide. I'd be scrolling left and right all the time to read it.

Well if they allow font size adjustments you don't have to scroll too much.

Does anybody know if you can use Pictochat to chat with others across the world?

NANOTEC said:
Does anybody know if you can use Pictochat to chat with others across the world?
To my knowledge, it hasn't been wifi-enabled unfortunately, not even in the DS lite... If only Nintendo would get google talk on the DS too, the GUI on that would fit the white DS lite's design perfectly! ;)

Nano:
Awesome image. This is going to be SO great.

Guden Oden said:
To my knowledge, it hasn't been wifi-enabled unfortunately, not even in the DS lite... If only Nintendo would get google talk on the DS too, the GUI on that would fit the white DS lite's design perfectly! ;)

Nano:
Awesome image. This is going to be SO great.

Well, they've had a VoIP chat demo for quite a while and apparently they've implemented a voice chat in Metroid: Hunters. So maybe there's hope for a IM/VoIP catridge.

Maybe reflashing the firmware with a new pictochat version? Always a possibility... :) Wonder if the DS can be updated via wifi, if so you could do it by walking into a videogame store and ask the staff to have the unit flashed (using some special device/DS cartridge I would assume)...

More news from the conference

The DS has sold very well in Japan since its introduction. As of February 5th, the DS has topped the 6 million units mark. That is just 14 months of being on sale, including times of major shortages. The Game Boy Advance took 20 months to sell that same number. Also since November, game software sales have doubled. Below are some examples of the strong sellers.

Nintendogs – Over 5 million worldwide
Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing) – 2.38 million
Brain Training – 1.8 million in 7 months

They introduced the Opera web browser, which will be available by June in Japan.

ONE SEG digital TV broadcast will be starting in April. Receive broadcasts directly to your DS with the new digital TV tuner.

The 10 million mark is in reach in Japan by the end of 2006.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11083

Shifty Geezer said:
The touch screen is smartly used for navigation of the page, so scrolling should be easy. But this text window alone is 540 pixels wide. I'd be scrolling left and right all the time to read it.

Try pressing Shift + F11 in Opera.

This is great news.

Back