Opera 8 Released

see colon said:
wow... [X]'s on the tabs is going to take some getting used to.

I agree, but I think I like it. My mouse has a mushy middle button (supposed to be a "tilt-wheel" I guess, I'm not installing intellipoint just so i can scroll sideways on webpages - at 1600x1200 :D ), so it works better than "middle-click, nope, didn't work, middle-click again."

see colon said:
wow... [X]'s on the tabs is going to take some getting used to.
They can be disabled in Preferences > General (just as everything else can be customised totally). The stuff you can do in Opera is amazing once you know how.

They can be disabled...
anytime they add new stuff i try it out for a day or two to see if i like it. i'm still up in the air about the [X]'s but i'll leave them on until tomorrow at the earliest.

...can scroll sideways on webpages - at 1600x1200...
you must have better eyes than me. i have a 21" CRT (well, 2 actualy) and anything over 1280*960 and i have to squint ot turn on "accessability options" to read most pages.

that "fit to width" option is amazing, though. just for fun i zoomed in to 1000% and fit to width'd a page. there was one word per line.

Diplo said:
The stuff you can do in Opera is amazing once you know how.

quoted for truth.

What I especially like about Opera is getting a fully featured browser plus an email client plus an IRC client in just a 3.5mb download. I've been using it since 6.x and I'm amazed that while they keep adding new features, the size stays mostly the same.

man, after playing with this release i'm glad i didn't jump ship (to firefox) like i almost did last week. this release adds or fixes just about everything i could have asked for.

this final version seems better than the beta (new preferences, easily disable those irritating X buttons on tabs) but I still won't switch to it anyday.
The interface is still alien and complicated (though much more bearable with the "windows native" skin)

I fail to see the powerful customization. I quickly added the home button and disabled smooth scrolling, changing tab focus on closing. But for these things it ends there : focus is on the left tab, I want it on the right; wheel scrolling is way too fast, I can't change the speed; Home button is not middle-clickable, this sucks; where can I customize middle scrolling?

what if I want to have the adress bar on bottom with tab bar above it, or adress bar on top with tab bar below it.

And I was surprised to see mouse gesture configuration is quite user unfriendly.

The devil is in the details. In Firefox when you can't customize something the way you want or have some feature, you can succeed by spending 5 minutes searching and downloading an extension. Without extensions, Opera won't be able to do what they didn't thought of.
There are not that much options in "Preferences" or "Customize", and there's not much in "Opera6.ini".

BTW as I wanted to do a slightly less botched evaluation of Opera I decided to test the IRC client.. and damn, it sucks :D. it doesn't even display the server window (where you get connexion info, MOTD, notice, ping/pong etc.). Just use one of the billions of free IRC clients :D

This still is a good browser but not worth switching to from firefox.

i am gonna agree with Blazkowicz_ (well, my sig should point in that direction and all those topics with lists of extensions i have)....

Opera is great browser, but i'll stick to Firefox, exactlly cause when it comes, there is nothing and you can make whatever you want out of it....

from extensionmirror:
Currently mirroring:
643 - Firefox Extensions
129 - Thunderbird Extensions

(oooops.....last time i was there there was only 612 FF ones....damn....loooks like i know what i gonna do later) ;)

Back