Online games - macs

Quadros? I didn't think we were talking Mac Pro (the only mac that accepts discrete cards) and I have no idea.
Yeah, my bad. Almost an exact copy of this thread is running in a completely different forum and I kind of mixed things up :LOL:
Indeed fat32/64 might be faster than NTFS hence the reason ext4 was created. Nonetheless what advantages do you see in NTFS over HFS+ for a desktop user?
Depends highly on what the desktop user does. I would imagine working with big directories and/or tons of small files won't be all that nice.
And then you want to compare servers?
I was comparing them for running multithreaded apps, again something I carried over from the other thread. Sorry.
You kinda forgot to quote all the stuff about faster boot times, etc. ;)
I didn't forget, I just ignored it :) Reason is for me the boot/sleep time is completely irrelevant even on my laptop.

I guess I should take a hint and slow down on discussing stuff on that many threads/forums ^^

Just tested, wake from sleep is limited by how fast my monitor can power on, which takes almost exactly 4 seconds :p

I have Win7 on a fairly old desktop. So I'm with hoho, this issue is not relevant.

Just tested, wake from sleep is limited by how fast my monitor can power on, which takes almost exactly 4 seconds :p

I have Win7 on a fairly old desktop. So I'm with hoho, this issue is not relevant.

What's your boot from cold? I bought SSDs for my windows machines just to get a faster boot it was so bad. My macs boot much faster.

It's all the more important on Windows since overclocking is a reboot-intensive process...hence the SSDs. :)

Gunna get blender it looks good :)

Sorry, didn't mean to dick on you. Maya is good too. I think Titanic (the movie) was done in Maya (on linux).

Good luck - if you get a portfolio send it to me in 4-5 years. I'm not in the business but my Engineering Director's son has been rather hugely successful in digital art for movies and video games.

What's your boot from cold? I bought SSDs for my windows machines just to get a faster boot it was so bad. My macs boot much faster.

It's all the more important on Windows since overclocking is a reboot-intensive process...hence the SSDs. :)

Hmm, it doesn't take very long to boot. I dunno, maybe 30 seconds. It's not something I ever do unless there are weird circumstances, since not even driver updates require a reboot these days.

Mize said:
Sorry, didn't mean to dick on you. Maya is good too. I think Titanic (the movie) was done in Maya (on linux).

Good luck - if you get a portfolio send it to me in 4-5 years. I'm not in the business but my Engineering Director's son has been rather hugely successful in digital art for movies and video games.
Its ok and i may try a simple game on blender and if it doesnt play nice im going to try and get a trial for maya if there is one :) oh and i will i want to be in the gaming industry :L

tuned said:
Its ok and i may try a simple game on blender and if it doesnt play nice im going to try and get a trial for maya if there is one :) oh and i will i want to be in the gaming industry :L

Oh and Where can i show my work on this forum?

Hmm, it doesn't take very long to boot. I dunno, maybe 30 seconds. It's not something I ever do unless there are weird circumstances, since not even driver updates require a reboot these days.

Must be nice. I travel on business overseas regularly and make presentations to customers and at technical symposia. My laptop gets a lot of power cycles. My desktop gets power cycled when I tweak it (overclocking, water cooling, etc.) and my servers have years of uptime.

But for you it sounds like you have just what you want...doesn't make it what every or any one else wants though.

Hmm, it doesn't take very long to boot. I dunno, maybe 30 seconds.

That's damn impressive actually as it's substantially quicker to boot than my i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz booting Win7-64bit Pro on an Intel 320 SSD. You must have a RAID array or something.

I timed it.
75 seconds from power to desktop on an Asus Sabertooth P67, i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz.with an Intel 320 SSD.

25 seconds power to desktop on core2duo @ 2.6 GHz MacBook Pro with Samsung 830 SSD
I'll boot it into win7 next.

43 seconds power to desktop on the same hardware booting to win7/64 pro.

That Sammy is damn fast! Need one for my gaming rig as that Intel 320 is totally outclassed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wrong :D

Just tested and it takes almost exactly double the amount of time I claimed. About 59 seconds from pressing the power button to having all my shit loaded.

I could shave off a few seconds by changing the boot order (it spends a few seconds trying to boot from disc). But I would never recoup the amount of time I would spend in the BIOS changing it, because I never power cycle :smile:

I can't explain why my system boots faster than your i7 SSD monster. I have a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo and a 320GB Western Digital HDD with 54.4 free GBs :p. Keep in mind, literally nothing loads when I start windows except the basic things that are necessary for the computer to function.

Edit Okay I disabled the motherboard logo and changed the HDD to first boot device and I get.... 56 seconds! What a waste.

I was wrong :D

Just tested and it takes almost exactly double the amount of time I claimed. About 59 seconds from pressing the power button to having all my shit loaded.

I could shave off a few seconds by changing the boot order (it spends a few seconds trying to boot from disc). But I would never recoup the amount of time I would spend in the BIOS changing it, because I never power cycle :smile:

I can't explain why my system boots faster than your i7 SSD monster. I have a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo and a 320GB Western Digital HDD with 54.4 free GBs :p. Keep in mind, literally nothing loads when I start windows except the basic things that are necessary for the computer to function.

Edit Okay I disabled the motherboard logo and changed the HDD to first boot device and I get.... 56 seconds! What a waste.

This is a good tip! The Asus Sabertooth P67 flashes TWO screens!
I wonder what the other delays on my end are? I have 5 drives (2x SSD, 2x HDD and 1x BRRW)...wonder if that is it? Is your BIOS EFI? Macs are EFI and so is the ASUS but I wonder if that makes it slower?

Either way, you get my point, Macs boot pretty fast for an OS with so many services.

I would actually change my laptop to Win7 if there was a 13", long battery life, pretty-killer GPU model out there. I HATE some of the Win7 interface issues, but I do love to game...:)

Edit: my desktop has always booted to win7 slowly (hence the SSD) and the original win7 install took forever!! Is it possible the install itself has issue even though all else runs with no crashes? I recently bought a download version of Win7 and it installed on my MacBook Pro in a fraction of the time my desktop did a year back...bad DVD -> bad install?

Power on to OS isn't a very good measure, IMO if you are comparing OS boot times. From end of post (including raid cards) to OS is a far more useable and comparable number if you're going to be comparing a range of machines.

My desktop for instance spends about 20-30 seconds during post. The OS boot itself for my W7 x64 install takes under 30 seconds once I'm past post however. And a clean install of W7 x64 on my system takes about 15-20 seconds I think. That's on a Crucial C300 SSD on a SATA 3 connector.

Don't know why, but Asus seems to always have some of the longest post times.

Regards,
SB

Back